D&D 5E Backgrounds

Henry

Autoexreginated
I like the idea of expanding backgrounds, and do hope that other D&D settings bet to explore them. In particular, in Eberron I could see:

Brelish Dark Lantern
Dragonmarked House Agent (not everyone part of a House is Marked or might just be an employee)
Ghaashk'kala Clan Member (don’t necessarily have to be barbarian or even half-orc)

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
I'm uncertain if they can convert Dragonmarks easily. Those were set up under the old feat tree system. And it strikes me as something backgrounds are just not suited for.

Beyond that...

I would like to see custom backgrounds for each setting, just to help set them apart. As well as discussions about the various races, classes, existing backgrounds, and their interactions with the world. Helps flesh it out, and make certain a world at least feels a bit unique even if it's not.

Staffan

Legend
I'm uncertain if they can convert Dragonmarks easily. Those were set up under the old feat tree system. And it strikes me as something backgrounds are just not suited for.

Back in 3.5e, the Eberron book had two low-level feats that dealt with the dragonmarked houses. One was of course Least Dragonmark, which gave you a least dragonmark which could basically be used to cast a 1st level spell once per day or a cantrip twice a day, IIRC. This, I feel, is a bit much for a background, and more feat territory. The other was Favored in House, which covered the social aspects - you may or may not have an actual Mark, but you're a member of the House in good standing, and you can call upon that for various favors. That would be a good feature for a House Member background.

That's one of the issues with converting Eberron, by the way: many different features of various races and sometimes classes got off-loaded into feats. Warforged body type is the big one here, but you also have druidic sects and a bunch of shifter stuff. Some of those things are easier to convert than others (druidic sects can be different circles), but others might require either building them into the base feature or abandoning them entirely. Or maybe collect a bunch of them into a bigger feat and/or beef them up. I could also see a "special bonus" at 1st level which could be spent on a dragonmark, warforged armor, or some other ability that was once a feat but now is no longer quite up to that standard.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
A background is 2 skills, 1 or more languages, a set of tools which apply to background, and up to 25 gp.

Erm... you forget that each background has a special "feature", one that isn't just skills or languages etc. These features are highly varied, and are the best chance to create more meaningful connection to the setting.

jasper

Rotten DM
Erm... you forget that each background has a special "feature", one that isn't just skills or languages etc. These features are highly varied, and are the best chance to create more meaningful connection to the setting.

background is 2 skills, 1 or more languages, a set of tools which apply to background, and up to 25 gp.
I did not forget. I just did not know.

Remove ads