D&D 5E Backstage at D&D Next Keynote...

All wrapped up. Great job by moderator PirateCat!

Overall personal impression: Meh, except for the new playtest class announcement. Not very enlightening/encouraging from where I sit. "The Sundering" sounds like a typical edition-change FR disaster in the making (history is against this particular effort, sad to say). Wish they'd taken questions from the floor that might have revealed more.

Reynard

Legend
That's it? No mention of the Premium 3.5 with Errata books listed for September on Amazon? I really want to know what their previous edition strategy is, especially if 5E is 2 years away.

Arytiss

First Post
Not nearly as much info given as I had hoped, but I suppose that there's not much to tell right after releasing a playtest packet.

That's it? No mention of the Premium 3.5 with Errata books listed for September on Amazon? I really want to know what their previous edition strategy is, especially if 5E is 2 years away.

Nope. They showed pictures of the AD&D reprints while they were talking about next year's e-releases ... which I think is the previous edition strategy. Release back-catalog items as e-books.

(Though I did lose my connection twice during the FR section, so there *could* have been something else there ...)

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
Not nearly as much info given as I had hoped, but I suppose that there's not much to tell right after releasing a playtest packet.

It's just a keynote, an intro to the con. There are several D&D seminars throughout the weekend, so there will be more news. Can't give away all the juicy bits on day one can we? Got to spread that stuff out a bit!

Dire Bare

Legend
Another RSE and 2 years of playtesting?

Wow.

One more RSE to transition from 4E to 5E . . . but rather than changing the Realms to suit the new rules, the purpose is to "set the Realms right". Also, Mearls said that "The Sundering" would be the *last* RSE. I am intrigued.

Remove ads