• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bad House Rules

Quasqueton

First Post
Seeing a DM's list of house rules can show his understanding of the core rules, and can be a forwarning of how he runs his games. I have seen some house rules lists that showed the DM had some serious misunderstandings of the rules. Some house rules fix problems that don't really exist, or they add flavor to one area while totally distorting multiple other areas.

I thought it would make for an interesting thread to see some bad, weird, overly complicated and/or totally unnecessary house rules we've seen. I'm not asking for a list of *all* house rules, just those that showed the DM really didn't understand what the core rules said/meant, or how to fix a core rules problem.

So, what are the worst house rules you've seen or been forced to ply under?

Quasqueton

Mercule

Adventurer
Drawmack said:
When attack roll = AC, I will roll % if it is over 50 you win if it is under 50 I will, I will reroll when it = 50.

That also shows a lack of understanding in probability. A roll of 50 isn't a break-even roll out of 100. The true median is 50.5, so there are no invalid integers. *sigh*

Not really a house rule but I had a DM who lived by the "if you dont ask I dont tell" motto to an extreme.

So extreme that when my cleric was attacked by thugs one night in an Inn. He was faking sleep down in the common room when half a dozen or so "thugs" entered.

I wanted to draw the foes in before attacking them so I remained sleeping. Of course the "thugs" suddenly attacked me and I jumped to my feet to defend myself.

When I rolled a total of 19 to hit one of them and still missed I was a bit confused so I asked the DM.

As it turned out the "thugs" were wielding warhammer, carrying large shields, and wearing full plate armor.

Yep, at no point did my cleric notice this until I asked. :rolleyes:

That campaign is over and I can honestly say I don't miss it at all.

haiiro

First Post
As a DM, I made some really poor house rules under 2e (like this one: every time you learn a new weapon proficiency, your THAC0 with that weapon starts out at 20) -- but all of my 3e house rules have been sterling. No, really. :D

Nothing like a little embarassment to get the day started out right. :eek:

ruleslawyer

Called shots for extra damage. Enough said.

The first time I saw this was in a 2e game that used the Complete Fighter's Handbook rules for called shots: -4 for attacking an arm or leg, -8 for attacking the head. If a limb suffered 25% of the target's total hp, it was impaired; if it suffered 50% of the target's total hp, it was incapacitated (meaning unconsciousness or death for the head). Every single combatant in our 9th-12th-level party aimed for his foes' heads. Bad bad bad.

kreynolds

First Post
Here's a few I managed to beat out of a fellow DM or two...

1) No darkvision. Infravision is back in.

2) Drow equipment is still better than normal but turns to dust on the surface.

3) Any house rule with the word "fumble" in it.

KenM

Banned
Banned
Not really a rule, because did not effect gameplay, but one DM made it a requirement to roll to-hit rolls and damage at the same time, and if you forgot, He would act like its the end of the world.

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
2e:

Giving mages bonus spells like clerics recieved (the DM could never figure out why nobody wanted to play a cleric, he ended up giving everyone healing items).

3e:

I've been playing with a great group. Nothing has really cropped up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads