Bad Moon over California OOC

Bobitron

Explorer
Bad Moon over California: A Sidewinder: Recoiled one-shot adventure

This is an invitation to a Wild West game using DHR’s excellent Sidewinder: Recoiled rules for D20 Modern. The characters will be troubleshooters hired by a US Marshal to investigate a strange murder in the tiny town of Deepwood. A warning: this adventure will be closely based on the free WOTC adventure, Bad Moon Waning. If you have read it, please do not participate in this adventure. Also, people looking for a historical simulation should look elsewhere; things will happen in this game that would never have happened in the real West. The game will take place in the year 1877, in California. I am only accepting players that own the Sidewinder: Recoiled book.

Character Creation

I’m looking for a total of 6 characters of 8th level. This is a one-shot adventure, so don’t worry about making a really deep background. A paragraph or two is fine. I’m looking for a well rounded party, so I want one character from each of the base classes. Use a 32 point buy, from page 169 of the DMG. Take ¾ of all Grit rolls. You may Take 20 on any purchase rolls. I will allow any advanced classes from the Sidewinder book or the first issue of the Fort Griffin Echo. The adventure will take place in 1877, so be careful what equipment you choose. Your employer, Marshal Dustin Colburn, is looking for a particular group of people to make up his group. Although the adventure will take place in California, Dusty is looking far and wide to fill his party with fine folks, so don’t be afraid to be from elsewhere. Here’s a list of the folks he’s looking for.

1) A cowpoke with good trail sense, maybe an ex-trail boss or line rider. He needs to be good with animals, and great in a brawl.
2) A gunslinger, fast on the draw, and with a wit to match.
3) A bounty hunter, skilled at catching that most elusive prey; the human.
4) An Indian scout, expert tracker and guide, with a good knowledge of Indian folklore.
5) A fast-talker, with a quick mind and a quicker tongue. Someone who can persuade people to our way of thinking, and get the group out of a fight if needed.

Stake your claim to who you would like to play. If someone comes up with a great concept not on Dusty’s shopping list, it’s up to знаток to decide. Please submit your characters here for approval, I will make a Rogue’s Gallery thread once the characters are all sorted.

Strong Hero: Jebidiah "Bear Trap" Williams, played by hobbit killer
Fast Hero: Riley MacDonald, played by Max
Tough Hero: Dakota Turnbow, played by The Shaman
Smart Hero: Marshal Dusty Colburn, played by знаток
Dedicated Hero: Michael Sun-Hand-High, played by Committed Hero
Charismatic Hero: John D'Artois, played by synecdoche

Saddle up!

Rogue's Gallery Thread: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=2029735#post2029735

In Game Thread: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=2029765#post2029765

Last edited:

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Hmmm I've wanted to play Sidewinder since I got the first book a over a year ago… I’ve since updated to the new book but still no luck with a game.

All that said I hate one shot games and was really wanting something a little bit more historical… Anyhow I can live with out the former but I still despise one-shot games… What are the chances of you continuing on with another adventure if this one really takes off?

I'll take the gunslinger for now. (Its been awhile since I've looked at modern but probaly nearly all fast character levels.)

Bobitron

Explorer
Brother Shatterstone said:
All that said I hate one shot games and was really wanting something a little bit more historical… Anyhow I can live with out the former but I still despise one-shot games… What are the chances of you continuing on with another adventure if this one really takes off?

I am using this as a test for the rules and a way to dip my feet into DM'ing a PBP. If it goes well, I will absolutely be interested in running a campaign. If I do so, I'm not certain if it would mean starting fresh with new characters, though, so don't get too attached to your gunslinger. ;) I think I will run it as a historical campaign if it gets to that point.

hobbit_killer

First Post
I would like to get in on this even though I might not make the cut. I have never played PBP but I really would like to play S:R. I would be up for the bounty hunter. Let me know if you get a no show on the others who already expressed interest.

Bobitron

Explorer
hobbit_killer said:
Let me know if you get a no show on the others who already expressed interest.

You got it! You are the first alternate if the people mentioned above don't check in. Thanks for your interest.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Bobitron said:
If I do so, I'm not certain if it would mean starting fresh with new characters, though, so don't get too attached to your gunslinger. ;)

See that's my big problem... I always get attached to my characters.

Bobitron said:
I think I will run it as a historical campaign if it gets to that point.

Sweet! The closer to 1866-70 the better I would like to play a civil war vet at a fairly young age... :)

Anyhow seeing as you have someone else in line, and that any future campaign would be starting anew and not with the same characters as this game I think I’ll give up my seat for now. :)

(I’ll take first alternate though, if you don’t mind.)

The Shaman

First Post
I'm your huckleberry!

I was originally thinking about a Fast hero heading toward Rustler - that could work for the cowpoke, though he'd be more stealthy than pugilisitc - but if that role's already filled, then pencil me in for a Tough heading toward Wrangler.

On further reflection, if this is going to be a one-shot instead of a campaign, I'll go with the Tough/Wrangler and save my Fast/Rustler concept for another game. Meet Dakota Turnbow, line rider...

Last edited:

Bobitron

Explorer
Brother Shatterstone said:
(I’ll take first alternate though, if you don’t mind.)

OK, you are up for first alternate. I hope this works out well and I'll see you in a future (past) campaign.

Bobitron

Explorer
The Shaman said:
I'm your huckleberry!

Glad to see you could make it, pardner. You get 1,000,000 bonus XP for the first use of a lovely movie quote in the thread. ;)

I added you to the list.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases