• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BADD- evaluate my dragon DM'ing? (KotSQ, Glacier Season module SPOILERS)

Dr Midnight

Explorer
MasterOfHeaven said:
Out of curiosity, are you planning on having the Dragon go after them, or are the PCs going to be the aggressors once again? I would think the Dragon would take the initiative at this point.

This is exactly where we're going to pick up next session. This dragon's pissed, and I'm taking a page from DRAGONSLAYER. It's time to raze some village.

Wolfspider

Explorer
They were all flying, so the ice beneath them didn't really come into play.

Hmmm...well, if they were flying, then how could they apply force to the dragon? I guess it's just part of the magic. :p

Also it seems like the dragon could have just ducked underneath them if they were flying, or it could have burrowed through the ice and snow of its lair and just appeared behind the characters. Having the dragon enter the niche to avoid getting flanked was a good idea, but I would be careful not to let it get painted into a corner like that in the future without it using all of its abilities effectively.

This is exactly where we're going to pick up next session. This dragon's pissed, and I'm taking a page from DRAGONSLAYER. It's time to raze some village.

Eh, razing is fine, but I'm partial to catching the party unaware and turning them all into popsicles. :D

Last edited:

MasterOfHeaven

First Post
Hmmm... why "raze a village"? I'd go more along the lines of "killing the PCs". Your PCs just attacked a White Great Wyrm Dragon. Extremely intelligent and wise, it has survived for hundreds upon hundreds of years. Personally, I think the Dragon would stop at nothing short of total extermination of the party at this point.

The PCs have openly attacked the Dragon, done a significant amount of damage to it and proved themselves to be enough of a threat to warrant major retaliation. In my opinion, you should pull no punches. Your players have brought this situation upon themselves, and they have no right to complain if the Dragon succeeds. Still, your campaign, your call.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Dr Midnight said:

The only way out of the nook was through four PCs. It couldn't just focus on any one of them... it had to get out through all four. I know it wouldn't seem like it would make sense, but by 3rd edition rules, they kept a dragon from pushing out... Oh well.

I suspect that that's because you let each character exert his full strength bonus. I would think that multiple characters trying to stop a bull rush would reach a point of diminishing returns - as such I would allow them to use the "aid another" action to add +2 (each) to the strongest person's roll.

Consider that you allowed each player to get full strength bonus, but you only allowed the dragon to get its "I'm bigger than you are" bonus once - in effect, letting the PCs multiply their strength while not letting the dragon do the same to his.

J

Wolfspider

Explorer
I suspect that that's because you let each character exert his full strength bonus. I would think that multiple characters trying to stop a bull rush would reach a point of diminishing returns - as such I would allow them to use the "aid another" action to add +2 (each) to the strongest person's roll.

Exactly. You should have used the strongest character's Strength as a base and add +2 circumstance bonus for each additional character. This seems much in the spirit of the aiding rules that drnuncheon mentioned. But you did what you could in the time alloted; it's a strange rule for sure.

Last edited:

Dr Midnight

Explorer
"Raze a village" because that's where the PCs live.

The dragon will attack them, but it could easily kill them, which I would like to avoid. It's time for major retaliation, but I think it'll be content to humiliate them... after beating the holy crap out of them and maybe stripping them of their items.

So far I've learned that I forgot it could burrow out, which would have been good. I've also learned that I messed up AID ANOTHER. At a glance I thought it was cumulative added strength bonuses. Oh well. Won't happen again! :D

Last edited:

Wolfspider

Explorer
Maybe you could have the dragon burrow up through the floor of the inn where their staying. That would be cool. Everyone would think it was an earthquake or something. :D

When it attacks the village, make sure it brings along some allies so that the dragon doesn't get overwhelmed with characters. Maybe a few of its half-dragon minions or a trained rhemoraz or six.

Madfox

First Post
Dr Midnight said:
The dragon DIDN'T know the invisible guy was a lich, therefore immune to cold. With +44 to its listen, however, it could almost always tell where he was, even in the fog of war.

Don't dragons have blindsight 150 ft or something? Considering their sense of smell, the dragon might also realize he is dealing with an undead. Further then that, I would also have the dragon prepare for the eventuallity of an other silence spell.

On a side note: how arrogant and intelligent is this dragon? Knowing fully well that these adventurers will return, most likely by again teleporting in the room, he will definitely create a nice pit trap on the area they teleported in earlier. If he actually thinks that given better tactics the PCs might be able to defeat him, he might actually relocate his nest, while making a death trap out of his old one.

Does the dragon has got his own scrying? He might scry the location of the PCs and send some spies to them or even some agents to test their mettle and learn more about their favourite spells.

MasterOfHeaven

First Post
Dr Midnight said:
"Raze a village" because that's where the PCs live.

The dragon will attack them, but it could easily kill them, which I would like to avoid. It's time for major retaliation, but I think it'll be content to humiliate them... after beating the holy crap out of them and maybe stripping them of their items.

So far I've learned that I forgot it could burrow out, which would have been good. I've also learned that I messed up AID ANOTHER. At a glance I thought it was cumulative added strength bonuses. Oh well. Won't happen again! :D

I don't mean to be overly critical or harsh, here, but aren't you basically saying the Dragon will allow them to live until they become powerful enough to kill it? That does not seem like a good idea, although that is of course just my opinion.

After all, isn't it possible your PCs made such a bold attack because they knew they weren't going to have to face the prospect of true vengeance and extermination by the Dragon?

Even if that isn't true, I just don't see why a Great Wyrm White Dragon, who is very wise and intelligent, would allow them to live, especially since they have proven themselves capable of at least majorly damaging him.

Still, that is just my opinion, and you are the DM of this game. If you really think it's best to keep your players PCs alive, it is your call. Good luck with your current situation.

Jairami

First Post
From the dragon's point of view, there is little excuse not to scry the fleeing interlopers that just up and attacked him. Once they bed down to recover he should travel to them (if possible) and snatch one up and leave. Being ancient he should know that fighting parties of adventurers at once is what leads to losing your hoard, your life, or both.

Grab an armored one so it can't teleport away. If you happen to get a cleric, lucky you. Then bargain with the pc's for their wonderful magical items if they want their friend back. Whatever you do, don't allow yourself to be Harm'd. Chew on whoever you pick up to disrupt any possible spellcasting and take away any symbols/component bags when you get the chance.

This way you don't Total Party Kill them in their sleep (which would be what the dragon should do), you do enforce the idea that actions (especially ill thought out ones) have consequences, and you have a fun opportunity to RP with the dragon instead of just attacking him, because attacking him could have the consequence of you hostage being killed.

If your players are the type that the captured one will sulk instead of utilizing the RP, then settle for people the PC's care about. Or random innocents.

But don't avoid making the PC's pay for their insolence directly.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads