D&D 5E Baldur's Gate 3, now with hobbits! (GOTY celebration video)

Dire Bare

Legend
Both Wood and Astin have lent their talents to various gaming endeavors in the past, video and tabletop . . . but Astin let slip a huge tell that he is no stranger to CRPGs like Baldur's Gate. He commented that this was the most detailed character creation he'd ever seen . . . meaning he's seen others before.

It's not really important, but neat that actors I've admired and enjoyed over the years might be just as nerdy as I am!

MarkB

Legend
Both Wood and Astin have lent their talents to various gaming endeavors in the past, video and tabletop . . . but Astin let slip a huge tell that he is no stranger to CRPGs like Baldur's Gate. He commented that this was the most detailed character creation he'd ever seen . . . meaning he's seen others before.
Or that he was given that line. BG3's character creator is very good, but I'd put it in the upper middle ranks in terms of detail levels.

Dire Bare

Legend
Or that he was given that line. BG3's character creator is very good, but I'd put it in the upper middle ranks in terms of detail levels.
Well, that's a cynical take.

The video was definitely semi-scripted, especially the ending scene when Astin pushes Wood's character into the lava (hilarious!). But many of Wood and Astin's reactions are genuine. Or at least, I have no reason to doubt the sincerity of the two actors.

And I agree with Astin's comment. While you could think about a character creation segment in terms of character detail . . . how many fiddly bits can you toggle? You can also think of it in terms of graphical quality, which is what I think he was going for. It's certainly my reaction to the game. But there are lots of bits to toggle when building the look of your character in BG3. Are there MORE detailed character creation segments in other games? Sure, undoubtedly. But even CRPG nerds haven't played ALL the games and his comment is legit.

MarkB

Legend
Well, that's a cynical take.

The video was definitely semi-scripted, especially the ending scene when Astin pushes Wood's character into the lava (hilarious!). But many of Wood and Astin's reactions are genuine. Or at least, I have no reason to doubt the sincerity of the two actors.

And I agree with Astin's comment. While you could think about a character creation segment in terms of character detail . . . how many fiddly bits can you toggle? You can also think of it in terms of graphical quality, which is what I think he was going for. It's certainly my reaction to the game. But there are lots of bits to toggle when building the look of your character in BG3. Are there MORE detailed character creation segments in other games? Sure, undoubtedly. But even CRPG nerds haven't played ALL the games and his comment is legit.
Fair, but it is ultimately a promotional piece intended to portray the game in the best possible light. A certain amount of cynicism is warranted.

Remove ads