• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Baldur's Gate 3 wins 7 Golden Joystick Awards including Ultimate Game of the Year

BG3 won;

Best Storytelling
Best Visual Design
Studio of the Year (Larian)
Best Game Community
Best Supporting Performer (Astarion/Neil Newbon)
PC Game of The Year
Ultimate Game of the Year

Given we are all part of the BG3 community, it's kind of like we all won that one.
I suspect Larian would say the same re: the latter bit given that the 3 years of early access feedback, polish and testing probably made a gigantic difference to how well-received the game was, as well as providing significant financial support whilst the game was being developed (about $150m before Steam's cut and other cuts).

There was also a lot of evangelism about the game in the month or so before release, which wouldn't have happened without the fans, definitely helped shape the narrative about he game, including opening minds re: it.

Amazingly, it's still selling really well, right now, on PC. I don't think it's ever left the global top 10, and if Steam is displaying correctly, it's #2 best-selling product on Steam right now (no doubt the awards helping), more than three months after release, and is the game on Steam with the 6th most players online right now (and indeed has been for weeks), with only Counter-Strike, DotA2, PUBG, CoD and Apex Legends ahead of it. Even GTA V is below it!

God knows how many copies have been sold. SteamSpy estimates over 21m on Steam alone, which would mean it'd already made $1.26bn before cuts, but also before PS5 sales, and with the Xbox version yet to be released. Given RPGs tend to have a long tail, that's pretty insane.

I really get the feeling that Larian thought this thing was going to sell like 4-6m copies and then maybe slowly work its way up to 10m over its lifetime, given their rather conservative messaging about it before release, especially the initial "Oh we're probably not doing DLC or another BG game" stuff. Presumably given maximal financial and critical success some reconsideration is being given to their longer-term plans.

Let's remember the franchise Final Fantasy started with a more modest title.

Now other videogames studios could be interested in the franchise, and then they could create their own games based in a no-FR setting, for example Greyhawk or Mystara.

I suspect Larian would say the same re: the latter bit given that the 3 years of early access feedback, polish and testing probably made a gigantic difference to how well-received the game was, as well as providing significant financial support whilst the game was being developed (about $150m before Steam's cut and other cuts).

There was also a lot of evangelism about the game in the month or so before release, which wouldn't have happened without the fans, definitely helped shape the narrative about he game, including opening minds re: it.

Amazingly, it's still selling really well, right now, on PC. I don't think it's ever left the global top 10, and if Steam is displaying correctly, it's #2 best-selling product on Steam right now (no doubt the awards helping), more than three months after release, and is the game on Steam with the 6th most players online right now (and indeed has been for weeks), with only Counter-Strike, DotA2, PUBG, CoD and Apex Legends ahead of it. Even GTA V is below it!

God knows how many copies have been sold. SteamSpy estimates over 21m on Steam alone, which would mean it'd already made $1.26bn before cuts, but also before PS5 sales, and with the Xbox version yet to be released. Given RPGs tend to have a long tail, that's pretty insane.

I really get the feeling that Larian thought this thing was going to sell like 4-6m copies and then maybe slowly work its way up to 10m over its lifetime, given their rather conservative messaging about it before release, especially the initial "Oh we're probably not doing DLC or another BG game" stuff. Presumably given maximal financial and critical success some reconsideration is being given to their longer-term plans.

Does steamspy include Mac sales via steam?

Also while much smaller sales, it sold very well on GOG.

Does steamspy include Mac sales via steam?

Also while much smaller sales, it sold very well on GOG.
Yes it includes Mac sales - you don't normally buy a game on a specific platform on Steam, you just buy the game and then you get it for all the OSes/platforms Steam supports. So if you buy a game on PC and it's also on Mac you normally have it for Mac too - that's certainly the case with BG3. I think there might be a few exceptions, but I'm not aware of any. This also applies to Linux for the games with native Linux implementations.

I'd be very interested to know how many sales are Mac. Mac makes up a MUCH higher percentage of total OSes in use compared to even 5 or 6 years ago; I'd be very interested to know the costs of Mac support versus how much they earned from it, considering Apple's general hostility towards games.

Game is fantastic, anyway. Runs well in Proton, and about 60ish hours in and starting Act 2, it's just been damn fun.

Remove ads