D&D General No More Baldur's Gate From Larion: Team Is 'Elated'

Team pivoting to next big release instead.

astarion-1688033271552.png

Bad news for Baldur's Gate fans--It seems that Larion is out of the Baldur's Gate business. CEO Swen Vicke has announced that Baldur's Gate 3 is not getting any expansions, DLC, or a sequel. Patches and fixes will still continue, however, including cross-platform mod support.

"Because of all the success the obvious thing would have been to do a DLC, so we started on one. We started even thinking about BG4. But we hadn’t really had closure on BG3 yet and just to jump forward on something new felt wrong. We had also spent a whole bunch of time converting the system into a video game and we wanted to do new things. There are a lot of constraints on making D&D, and 5th Edition is not an easy system to put into a video game. We had all these ideas of new combat we wanted to try out and they were not compatible."
-Swen Vicke​

Vicke confirmed this at a talk at the Game Developers Conference, and said that Larion Studios wanted to make its own new content rather than license IP from another company.

He also clarified that a Baldur's Gate 4 was still possible, but that if it happened it would not be made by Larion. Larion is already working on its next big release.

According to IGN, Larion has started work on some BG3 DLC, but it was cancelled.

"You could see the team was doing it because everyone felt like we had to do it, but it wasn’t really coming from the heart, and we’re very much a studio from the heart. It’s what gotten us into misery and it’s also been the reasons for our success."
-Swen Vicke​

According to Vicke, when the BG3 team found out that they would not be making more Baldur's Gate content, they were 'elated'.

“I thought they were going to be angry at me because I just couldn’t muster the energy. I saw so many elated faces, which I didn’t expect, and I could tell they shared the same feelings, so we were all aligned with one another. And I’ve had so many developers come to me after and say, ‘Thank god.'"
-Swen Vicke​

Reynard

Legend
It's often time related. Incomplete.

It shows in parts and apparently some of it is still in the game files.
It's also often not working the way they want it to. Sometimes mods that bring back cut content turn out okay. most of the time you can tell why the content was cut. Source: Skyrim.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Yup that content is also very brief.

Karlachs story is also a but wobbly by act 3.

It's 9.5/ high scores really only apply to Act I
Imho. Act3 has some issues nothing fatal just not as good imho.

Think wife beat the game honor mode in 47 hours and she wasn't exactly rushing things. Act2 is really short.

If there is one character that is the "main" it's Lae'zel. The whole story revolves around Mind Flayers and Githyanki. Which is weird since Larien said the iconic play through is a Durg trying to be good but really being a
Bhaal spawn
has nothing to do with the over all plot aside from a
Bhaal Spawn
being just one of the main big bads.

Even the heavy handed Selune/Shar stuff really has nothing to do with anything by Act 3 or really anyone else's plot. Vampires. Demon slaves. Whatever doesnt tie into the core Gith V Mind Flayers.

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
If there is one character that is the "main" it's Lae'zel. The whole story revolves around Mind Flayers and Githyanki. Which is weird since Larien said the iconic play through is a Durg trying to be good but really being a Bhaal spawn has nothing to do with the over all plot aside from a Bhaal Spawn being just one of the main big bads.

Even the heavy handed Selune/Shar stuff really has nothing to do with anything by Act 3 or really anyone else's plot. Vampires. Demon slaves. Whatever doesnt tie into the core Gith V Mind Flayers.
This thread isn't marked SPOILER so you ight want to spoiler block this stuff.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
If there is one character that is the "main" it's Lae'zel. The whole story revolves around Mind Flayers and Githyanki. Which is weird since Larien said the iconic play through is a Durg trying to be good but really being a Bhaal spawn has nothing to do with the over all plot aside from a Bhaal Spawn being just one of the main big bads.
You need to do more digging in the Durge storyline to realize just how central the character is to the main plot.

Instead we're getting some more in-depth endings that all of like 5% of players will ever see, at most. It's a pretty weird place to expend extra effort, honestly.
I just really wanted to agree with this. I still haven't seen the end of the game, all these months in...

But I can understand them not wanting to add new systems (which might break other stuff), when modders can do a lot already (note: not expecting the modding tools to change that too much, because of all the cautious downplay of what to expect from them Swen's been doing).

While I would've loved to see BG3 spawn a whole new era of Gold Box DnD games, I am glad that they didn't force themselves to make BG3 DLC when their heart wouldn't have been in it (and when mechanically, it would've needed to go past lv12, or people would've cried).

Remove ads

Remove ads