"Ballots & Bullets" (TSR Module BH3) Concluded!

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Two-hundred-sixty-four, “Planning for Turner“, Wednesday, June 21st, 11:45 A.M.

Ruby and Kate rejoin the others. "Okay, my head is a little more clear now," Ruby states as she smiles to her loved ones, "Let's discuss what we are going to do. We had plan for the theater tonight and I think we should keep those plans. Dinner and a play. And we'll see if Turner really is here. I mean, I doubt he'll try something at a place as public as the theater. But we should be prepared for afterwards..." "Do we even know if he'll try something tonight for sure?"

Nanuet says, "No, I can't say what his plans are for sure. I haven't encountered him on this crazy cross country tour I've taken in the last week. He's left plenty for me to deal with along the way and the Bishop in New York was the one that told me he was a Vampire Lord and that he could actually control lesser Vampires. We found evidence, telegrams, a few days ago that led us to believe he was after Ruby. Since then I have only had experiences that strengthen that theory."

Nanuet withdraws a small package from an interior pocket. "I also have this" he says unwrapping a cloth to reveal one single arrow. "It's been blessed by the goddess Diana. It was gifted to me by John Harbrace back in New York. Nanuet pauses then continues "It's not a plan, but it's a little more information to go by." Ruby raises an eyebrow, "An arrow blessed by Diana! That's guaranteed to work on Turner!"

The she sighs. "If Nanuet has seen these telegrams it must be so. I've felt like he wasn't gone for a while now. I don't know how we could set up a trap for him here, the city is so dense with people it would be hard not to involve other innocent people. The only other idea I would have is to go at night to the lake. It's my land now so there shouldn't be others there. But, it's a lot of forested land and we would probably be at a disadvantage with all the trees and not having a lot of light. There are a lot of spots for his minions to hide and for us to get separated. We only have one shot at this. If we fail, he'll just disappear for a time until he thinks we're not ready again. Really, what's time to him?"

She turns to face everyone else. "What are all your thoughts? Kate says, "I've seen those arrows work. Diana was serious about those when she made them. We shouldn't all go someplace together, Turner hasn't shown his face whenever we were all together. He's intelligent. Ruby's right, outdoors should be a last resort, there's too many places he could hide, too much room to move. He's more likely to move against one of us alone and try to cloud our minds, make us work from the inside." Ruby replies, "Well, if my ideas won't work, and you all have much more experience than me with this, what should we do then? Short of just spending my night outside in the back yard as bait, I don't know what to do."

Kate says, "I'm not sure either, Ruby. Experience fighting them doesn't mean I'm any good at the planning. We did a lot of stumbling and trying to figure out where the things where, there wasn't much planning beside ‘Don't let it kill you‘. I think perhaps you and Mr. Eastman, and myself and your Grandmother should go to the theater. It would give Colin a chance to see you there. Then we somehow make it look like we split up, and you and Mr. Eastman went alone toward the lake. On the way we'd pick up Nanuet and Mr. Gonzales and when Turner strikes we take him. The problem with that is it assumes Turner will strike, or try. It would be better if we knew where to find him and could set up an ambush."

Nanuet suggests, "Perhaps we would be better off doing the unexpected and hunting the hunter. He needs a coffin during the day. Perhaps when he arrived here someone noticed the coffins. It would be an odd site to transport them to some place that wasn't a funeral home or a graveyard. He probably doesn't expect us to come after him and during the daylight the advantage is ours. Of course that doesn't help us get through this evening..." Nanuet scratches his head and continues to think.

Kate suggests, "So we draw him out tonight at the theater, then someone trails him back to his hiding place and we take him during the day?" Ruby replies, "Maybe we use today to try to get some information. Perhaps George you might know someone who would be able to find out about the shipped coffins?" He had been quiet during their scheming and Ruby was hoping he wasn't overwhelmed already. She considers taking him aside to discuss more in private but waits to see his and the others answers instead.

Alvina comes in and sets the dining table for the guests assisted by her husband Rosaire. Nanuet hadn't paid very much attention to the older pair before but now notes that his initial assumption of their being human was mistaken as he now takes in the more angular shape of their faces and the points on the ear-tips, indicating them to be a mix of both human and Elvan blood. As they sit down to eat the lunch that has been placed out for them George says, "Yes, that is a possibility, however they could have come in by rail, by ship or overland on a horse-drawn conveyance. Do you have any idea as to when he would have arrived in Rochester? That would make it much easier to narrow down the possibilities."

Nanuet says, "I can't be sure, but I would guess Monday or Tuesday. He left an ambush for us Monday back in New York City, and on Tuesday I met with Ms. Ruby's Grandmother and then we made our way here. I don't think he was too far ahead of us. He had used trains to transport several coffins initially so perhaps he stuck to the rail?" Kate took a deep breath, smelling the warm bread on the table. Breakfast had only been a couple hours ago, but Kate was starving again and struggled not to eat with embarrassing enthusiasm.

"He wouldn't have arrived here before Ruby, he was following her. He had to have started in Promise City..." Kate stopped with her fork halfway to her mouth. "That's what he was doing with Adair. Ruby, I told you I hadn't told you all the stories yet. Job Kane sold his part of the Lady to Adair, under Colin Turner's influence. I wondered why Turner was involved with Adair, there were no other links. Adair would have given him free access to the Lady. It would have made it more attractive to Ruby to leave, and if he didn't he'd be around her. Judge Isby threw out the sale so Turner didn't get what he wanted."

She shook her head. "That's neither here nor there. He probably arrived either the night Ruby did or the night after." Ruby's eyes pop open and she drops her fork. "What?? What do you mean Job sold to Adair?? Even if under the influence of Turner it would still be considered legal?? Didn't you say that he was in jail?" Kate says, "Judge Isby threw out the sale. It's not legal and Job still has his share. Apparently Turner was declared a 'hypnotist' whose presence invalidated the sale." Ruby replies, "Whew. You had me really nervous there for a moment. Do you know Kate, did Jake ever take care of Nile's nephew's share? I mean, who owns it now?" Kate says, "Jake and Job split the cost between them, I believe. There's no new partner."

Kate attacked her plate again. Ruby says, "Oh, that's good news." Ruby releases her breath, unaware she had been holding it. "I wonder what will happen now that Jake is leaving? I was going to offer to buy his share of the Lucky Lady and my house when I returned anyway." She gives George a brief glance. "If I had someone to loan me the money that is. I hope he doesn't do something foolish and sell it to someone else just to skip out of town quickly." Kate says, "That sounds like a good idea, but we're getting off topic.”

George states, "Well, getting back on track regarding the most immediate problem, according to Ruby's friend Richard they arrived on Friday night. We're therefore dealing with a window of Friday to Tuesday with the high probability of arrival by rail with several coffins or large trunks. That gives me something to work on. I'll head into town after lunch and begin to make some inquiries. In the meanwhile William has obtained six tickets to the play tonight. At a minimum Ruby and I have to go, we will be meeting with her parents there."

Ruby says, "We did arrive on Friday night. And I was actually outside and... alone... for a long while, if he had been here for me he would have had a nice open window to do it, so I would guess he wasn't here, or at least following me yet." Ruby catches a glimpse of surprise cross her grandmother's face at the mention of Ruby meeting with her parents. "Yes," Ruby says, "I do have to meet with them tonight. I saw them yesterday and left them with a few demands that they are answering to this evening. It's important I be there."

She turns to her grandmother. "I'm not sure how you feel about it Nana, but you could accompany us if you'd like." Nana replies, "Yes, if my daughter and that man she married are present I would certainly want to be there." Ruby says, "They will be. We have a lot to talk about. I found a few things out last night, including the fact that I have a baby brother, you have a grandson. But..." She wonders briefly if she should be so freely sharing the news with George's employees not that far away. It was no time to hold back so meets her grandmother's eyes and continues, "He's a half brother. And apparently mother has softened a bit over the years towards me. Perhaps she has also towards you."

Kate says, “So Mr. Eastman will look into when Mr. Turner got here, what else are we doing? I still think some of us should go to the theatre and the others follow Turner if he shows up there." Ruby says, "Only me, Kate and Nanuet knows what Turner looks like. I have to go to the show so that leave Kate and Nanuet. We really don't know if he would try to attack tonight or just follow me or what. Nanuet is a good tracker but how easy would it be on pavement? Also, if he turns to smoke no one would be able to follow him anyway."

Ruby taps her lip, "Still, for tonight that might be the best plan. George, Nana and I go to the theater, Kate too if she wants. Then Nanuet and Gonzales can say hidden somewhere and try to be on the lookout for Turner, following him if possible." The meal ends with home-baked apple pie. Once the meal is done Alvina clears the dishes and George has William hook up the carriage. He gives Ruby and kiss and says that he will be back in a few hours. "Wait!" Ruby hurries after him. Once they are outside and have a little more privacy, "George, I... I feel very badly about bringing this problem here to you. I feel like I should leave and take the problem with me, but I selfish and I can't bare to leave you."

He folds his hands in with a stern look says, "Right. There is an undead creature out there who wants you so you expect that I will just let you go off into his clutches? And didn't you and your friends state that you are safe here in my house?" Plus I don't want you to go." Ruby blinks at George a couple of times. He was right, and he didn't want her to go, even with a risk like this.
"You're right," she says meekly in response to his sternness. Then she stands her on toes, puts her hands on his face, looks him in the eyes and smiles. "I love you George," and she kisses him. "Good luck. I'll be here when you get back." Ruby watches the carriage roll down the driveway and out onto the street. She gives a quick wave then heads back inside.

Kate made sure to thank Alvina for the lovely luncheon before she followed the others into the parlor and took a seat next to her teacher. "I had wished to be home tonight, but I think we can be better prepared after a night's rest. We didn't expect this." Nanuet says, "I don't mind missing the theater, it's not exactly an event for me. Perhaps I can keep watch around the theater, maybe even with Maska's help. She's been able to detect the vampires before, I am sure she could again. I guess we really shouldn't be making more plans until George returns with his information."

Ruby bounces into the parlor where her friends and family are waiting. "Well, that went better than I expected. Isn't he great?" she gushes. Nanuet is a little taken aback by Ruby's disposition towards George. "Well you certainly think a little differently of him than you did when he came to visit us out west. I don't know him well enough yet to pass judgment but I certainly appreciate his hospitality and assistance so far."

She replies, "Well... Nanuet... things are different now. I guess you can say I remembered why we were... friends so many years ago, and I didn't give him a chance because I had Jake..." She continues quickly, "He's risked his neck for me when he didn't have to and... and... he's handsome, he's smart, he's kind, he's honest, he's caring, he makes me laugh and smile, he's adventurous, he's romantic, he's got great ideas for the world, he's reliable... he's... should I go on?" she smiles.

Nanuet says, "But what about Jake? Is there something I don't know about?" Nanuet's face turns red. "I guess it's not my business. I'm happy for you as long as you're happy Ms. Ruby." Ruby sits next to her Indian friend, placing a hand over his. She tries to smile, and even if it isn't totally genuine, it's there. "You're my friend I hope you always feel free to ask. Jake has decided not to stay in Promise City. He's moving on." Nanuet's face darkens. He furrows his brow as he attempts to comprehend what Ruby is saying. "Moving on? He's leaving? Where is he going? What about you and the saloon? I thought the two of you had plans for the future. I... I... I am prying again, please forgive me." Nanuet mumbles something under his breath obviously upset with the news about his friends.

Ruby tries to keep a neutral look on her face, as hard as it is. "I am returning to the Saloon. I do not know what his plans are for his share of the Saloon or where he is going." Ruby sighs, "We did have plans, Nanuet. But Jake has decided those plans were not really for him. I don't know much about it. After I left, I had this... feeling of dread almost. It was confirmed on my birthday, only a few days after I left, when he did not contact me in Tucson. This whole time I have been wiring him and writing him with no answer. Except the last, telling me he is leaving. You guys who have been in Promise City surely know more than me." Her eyes start to mist up.

"When I realized this was going to happen, I decided to give George the chance he deserves. Promise City was not how I remembered him from my youth and not how he has been acting here. And," she pauses, and ponders before continuing, "George is nothing like Jake. He is true to his word. If he says he loves me and he won't leave, then he won't." Nanuet replies, "Well I won't claim to be an expert on the affairs of love but it seems awful quick for you to be jumping from one relationship to another. Just be careful Ruby, George seems like a good man. I hope Jake is alright, I was sure that he loved you Ms. Ruby."

She says, "I was sure too Nanuet but I guess we were both wrong." Suddenly Ruby laughs. "Listen to you lecturing me about jumping into relationships! You hurried into your relationship with Minerva and you're an elf!" He says, "I know, but who can question the will of the gods? That is also why I made the disclaimer that I am not a love expert. I wonder what Minerva is thinking now. I have been so wrapped up in chasing Turner I have not sent word to her, nor did I even get a chance to tell her would be gone for this long."

Ruby says, "I am sure she is fine, after all, she has her gods to comfort her." Ruby smiles at her friend. "Besides, I was only teasing you my friend. I have never been known for making good decisions." A natural smile forms on Nanuet's face and he nods. "I certainly won't argue with you there." Ruby good naturedly sticks out her tongue then smiles at her friend. Kate sighed to herself. "Things will be very different without him," she said simply. "But things always change, and this trip seems to have made a lot of changes for Ruby, too."

Ruby replies, "It has," she smiles. "And in only good ways. But maybe it wasn't so much the trip as my birthday. I'm nineteen now!" she says proudly, like it would make a huge difference. "And I've met my grandmother," she smiles lovingly at her, "Faced my parents, learned I have a baby brother and found a new lover who loves me a lot. So much has changed, Isn't that good?" Nineteen, Kate thought to herself. "I think it's the trip rather than the birthday. You've done a lot of brave things, all on your own. You said it earlier, you saved yourself," Kate said with a note of pride.

Ruby answers, "Maybe you're right Kate, I've done a lot of scary things, sure not to be the last. So, will you be needing a dress for the theater tonight? I can send Al or we can go." Kate replies, "There's no need to put Alvina to more trouble, we can go. Anything we find will likely need some alteration anyway, so it's best if I'm there." Ruby answers, "I'm not sure how much alteration we can get done in a couple of hours. Maybe if I throw George's name around a little... he's very respected around here. We'll have to get a ride somehow, George took William."

Ruby asks, “Mr. Gonzales, what do you think of all this, of our plans? Nana?" Mina speaks up. "Ruby, we don't know the area that well. I doubt that this monster will attack you in a large crowd, it's after that we have to be careful and prepared. I already told you I would accompany you tonight because your parents will be there and that is what I intend to do. I will also need a dress appropriate for the theater. Other than that, we should try to rest this afternoon, we may have a very long night ahead of us."

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Two-hundred-sixty-five, “Inauguration Day“, Wednesday, June 21st, 10:45 A.M.

Minerva enters the house and finds that Nakomo is up and preparing breakfast. "Miss Minerva! Did you hear? Mister Jake won the tournament!" Minerva grins back. "Oh, That is wonderful, but it is no surprise to me Nakomo. He holds the favor of Hermes." She hesitates, "Speaking about gods, They have given us a new assignment." She describes her night in the desert and tells Nakomo of her dream. "I do not know what they plan for us yet, they will make Their Will known when they are ready, but it is best that we begin making preparations."

The shock and distress is clearly evident on Nakomo's face. "But...but I just got here and" he stops in mid-sentence and stands tall. "If you believe that that is what the gods want us to do Miss Minerva then that is what we will do. Besides so long as we're together we will always be home."

Minerva smiles "Gracias Nakomo. You are wise beyond your years. It does sadden me to leave , but you are right. We will always have one another." She hugs him tightly "The gods bestowed a great gift upon me when they intersected our paths."

He shakes himself loose, a bit embarrassed by the display of affection. “I am going to find Emily and tell her." Minerva sighs. "I will go with you and seek out my friends as well. It would not be right to leave without giving them some warning." Nakomo hold out his arm to Minerva and smiles with more confidence than he feels. We will go together then. Minerva takes his arm and they stroll out in search of their friends.

Chester Martin awakens Wednesday morning with an aching head. He didn't mean to drink that much, but heck, he just won an election. Washing his face in the basin on his dresser didn't help, so the Marshall-elect went into the Lucky Lady's kitchen to make some coffee. Chester sees Bradford Rhinehardt, one of the tournament dealers, at a table enjoying his breakfast. Chester gets a cup of coffee from the kitchen. He walks over to Rhinehardt. "Morning, Mr. Rhinehardt. Some tournament, I hear. What with half the people getting thrown out and all. Who won?"

He looks up at Chester and says, "Jacob Cook was the winner. Brett Maverick finished second and Brady Hawkes finished third. And Cook won not only the tournament but the deed to the Palace Saloon." Chester coughs on his coffee. "He won the Palace? That must have been some game if Adair put up his place in the pot." Rhinehardt replies, "They each bet their own saloon, whoever was out of the tournament first would lose. Cook was helped by that when the Federal agents hauled off Adair. "

"Federal agents dragged him away? What did he do to get that sort of treatment? We could have done that for a lot less, I bet." Chester whistles. "Jake's getting to be a land baron. Next thing we know, he'll have half the town in his pocket." Rhinehardt replies, "I wouldn't be surprised. I'm just hoping to get him to hire me for a job. Word is that one his regular dealers, Tony Lucky, has skipped town. I'm hoping to either take his place or get a job from Mr. Cook at the Palace."

"With two places to run, I'm sure he'll be needing people, Mr. Rhinehardt." Chester thinks to himself, Tony left town? I wonder if some husband chased him out. Better that than him getting shot. Rhinehardt says, "That's what I was thinking. And congratulation on your election to Town Marshall. You get sworn in today at noon don't you?" Chester says, "Thank you very much. Yep, in just a couple hours. I'm a little nervous, but I'll get over it."

After speaking with Rheinhart, Chester finished his coffee then went over to Gilson's to take a bath. He soaked in the warm water thinking of how far he'd come since arriving in Promise City. Just a year ago, he was scrounging around doing this and that to make ends meet. Now he was the Marshall of a bustling town. And he was in love with a beautiful girl to boot. Funny how life works sometimes. Although, not everything was hunky-dory. Whoever killed Claude Buckley was still out there. Maybe even Chester sees him on the street every day. He brushes back the hair from his eyes.

"Time to get going. You don't want to sit in here all day." Chester dries off and dresses. He pays Laurie Gilson on his way out. "Thanks, Mrs. Gilson. That felt good. I'll see you later." She says, "Good bye, Deputy Martin. Come back any time." Chester puts his hat on his head and lights a cigarette as he walks back to the Lucky Lady. The early lunch crowd is abuzz with anticipation over the inaugurations. Clarisse is there waiting for him at a table. He kisses her and sits down. "Whew, I'm starving. I'd better have something before the ceremony. How are you?" Clarisse replies, "I'm doing well. I'm so excited for you. I wonder if it will be like the ones in the capitol? I've read they have bands playing and people making speeches." Chester says, "I don't know about bands, dear, but there will be speeches."

Lunch is served and they eat, talking about the latest gossip and news. After eating, Chester changes into his Sunday best. "Are you ready, Clarisse?" Clarisse straightens Chester's tie before they walk to City Hall. "She says, "We wouldn't want you looking sloppy on your first day, dear, now would we?" He says, "Of course, you're right. You look beautiful as always." They reach their destination. Chester takes a deep breath. "Here we go."

It looks like half of the town has gathered for the swearing in of the new elected officials. Emery Shaw is wearing what appears to be a newly tailored suit. Vera Blake and Kate Higgins are also both attired in new dresses. Doctor Eaton is standing near the front of the room, with his wife and three children seated in the front row. Helen Barker and Buck Fly both have cameras set up to photograph the ceremony. Chester waves at Helen and Stanley. He shakes hands with the other newly elected people. "Congratulations. Let's take Promise City as far as we can."

It is nearly noon when Jake wakes alone in the small room at the Lucky Lady. He wanders down to find some coffee and breakfast. Harry Rote and Timothy Finnegan are the only two around. Harry gets Jake his beverage and says, "Everybody else is over at the Town Hall watching Chet get sworn in as Marshal." Jake "He deserves it. I am not sure why anyone would really want a job like that, damn fool that he is, Chet has earned it." Jake sips his coffee silently for a while, lost in his thoughts.

Jake asks, "Do you want to own part of the Lucky Lady Harry?" Harry seems a bit surprised and says, "Yeah Jake, I would. If you're talking about Bert Hoover's share I noticed that Austin Blake and you had words last night. I believe he was going to pay $ 3,000. I only have half of that now, but could probably get a bank loan for the rest. Or, alternately, could sell you or Job a partial share of the liquor business."

"I thought the last offer to the Hoover estate was $1900." Jake shrugs. "No matter. Go find out and make your offer. I will loan you the difference or buy a share of your distribution business. Which ever way you want." Jake looks beyond Harry for a minute and then asks, "Do you think you could expand your distribution business beyond Promise City? Beyond Arizona Territory?" Harry says, "Jake, I'm a simple man. I see opportunities in Dos Cabezas given that town's current growth and the fact that Morand Cartage now goes their daily but I haven't given consideration beyond Promise City and its neighboring town."

"You are clever and determined. I would never underestimate those qualities. I just wondered if you can considered expanding to Tucson or maybe a little farther a field." Harry gives him a questioning look. Jake responds with, "San Francisco?" Harry says, "I've always believed in future prospects Jake, I wouldn't have invested money with so many prospectors in the area otherwise."

Jake smiles broadly, "That is the spirit, Harry Rote. You talk to Mr. Van Horne about breaking into Tucson. Tell him you are ready to supply the meeting house with whatever they need, and then figure out how to do that. Next, start gathering your contacts to supply my saloon in San Francisco. As soon as I buy one..." Jake chuckles, "I do not expect it will take me too long."

Maria brings out Jake's breakfast. As he sits down to eat, Minerva and Nakomo enter the saloon. Minerva, grinning broadly, crosses the room. "I hear congratulations are in order, Senor Jake." "Si, Senorita. Gracias." Hey waves, indicating they should sit. "I now have a reputation. Heh, well of course I had a reputation before but now I have earned one for winning the poker tournament." He chuckles and then goes on to relate the events of Job Kane being kidnapped and shot, the Russian pretending to be Job Kane, Evan Adair being taken away by federal agents, and Jake winning the Palace from Adair. "A busy and satisfying several days."

Minerva replies, “Ah! Justice has been served then. It is fitting that you should own what once belonged to that scoundrel. I am sure that you will treat those who work at the Palace with considerably more care than he. You are certainly putting down roots in this town." she comments wistfully. "I wish that I could say the same but it seems the gods have other plans for Nakomo and me."

"Oh?" Jake responds with some surprise. "The gods? I see." There is a brief interruption of the pleasant expression on his face before it returns. "You have new plans?" She says, "I have no plans at all. But the gods have informed me that I have done what they have asked of me here." she shrugs nonchalantly, unable to meet his eyes as she attempts to mask her the heaviness of her heart. She gently places her hand on his arm and meets his eyes. "I am going to miss you terribly Silver Jake Cook. You have been a sliver lining in the stormy clouds for me and I will always love you for it."

Nakomo stands stoically, his chiseled Elven features a little too still. Only his deep blue eyes reveal the turbulent emotions roiling below the surface. Nakomo eventually says, "I will miss you too Mr. Jake." Jake says, "I am sad that we will be parted, but who is to say when we shall meet again, eh?" He pats her hand lightly, "When are you two go going to leave and where will you go?" "I do not really know. Nothing has been made clear to me as yet. I will have to speak to the Bishop about a replacement and then I suppose we will just mount up and let the gods lead the way. Perhaps they will direct us farther west." She brightens up a bit. "I would love to be near the ocean again, and I do not think that Nakomo has ever laid eyes on it before."

"The ocean...." Jake strokes his chin beard a few times while looking down at his breakfast. "The time I saw the ocean was in Philadelphia. I too have been hankering, as the local cow pokes might say, to see the ocean. I have some matters to attend, and fortunately they take me to San Francisco some day soon where I will have my first chance to set eyes upon the Pacific Ocean." Jake takes a bite of Maria's prized chorizo con huevos and chews it thoughtfully.

"One of the matters that needs my attention is the distribution of some funds in the worship of Hermes. I find myself in need of a priest or priestess that will accept a moderate donation and use it to further the worship of he who guides the shepherds and cowherds, those who prize oration and wit, writers and poets, those who challenge in athletics, the inventors, the merchants, and even those who live by base cunning." Jake smirks and glances into her eyes, "Know anyone you could recommend?"

Minerva's eyes twinkle "It would be my duty to accept such a donations, would it not?" She sits and motions for Nakomo to do the same. "That looks delicious. You do not mind if we join you?" Before he can respond she signals to Maria to bring two more plates of what Jake is eating. When do you plan to go to San Francisco? Perhaps, if the gods and you of course, are willing, Nakomo and I could travel with you. It would be safer that way.

"Safer for whom?" Jake quips. "I would enjoy the company. I had not selected a date for traveling, but it would be soon. I was going to leave as the mood took me, for until now I had no need to give fellow travelers any warning. Not to worry though, it is not irksome to do so." Jake notices Bonnie and Prosper 'Deacon' McCoy enter the Lucky Lady. They take a seat across the room and order some food and drinks when Harry Rote comes over to chat with then. Harry brings them drinks and Maria brings them out the food. Jake, who has just finished his own breakfast says, "Excuse me a moment. Eat, I will be back." He goes over to the McCoy's table.

Nakomo and Minerva sit quietly discussing their options. Nakomo brightens at the thought of traveling with his idol. "Do you really think that we can travel to the ocean with Mr. Jake?"
he asks hopefully. She replies, “It is a possibility Nakomo. I do not know what direction the gods intend for us but it is as good a direction as any to start in. I would love to feel the ocean on my face again. It reminds me of my home on the coast of Spain. I hear that San Francisco is Beautiful. All hilly and curvy with cliffs that drop straight down into the sea."

He asks, "I have never seen an ocean before. What is it like Miss Minerva?" She replies, "Oh, it is a wondrous sight. As big as the heavens and bluer too. It breaths and moves to a rhythm of it's own, with huge crashing waves of water that rise up and beat against the shore and it is filled with strange creatures and plants... and fish, some bigger than a man!" She says opening her arms wide to demonstrate their size. There are gods that live there also. Perhaps our next task is to serve them in some way." She pats his hand. "I do not have any answers yet Nakomo. I ask you to have patience and faith." He replies, "I will Miss Minerva, but when do you think we will be leaving.?" She chuckles and shakes her head. "First we will have our meal. There is much to be done and you will need your strength. Eat and then we will begin making arrangements."

Over at Town Hall, Judge Isby arrives in his long robes and calls the candidates forward. The first one to be sworn in is Emery Shaw. Judge Isby has him place his right hand upon volume containing the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the Territory of Arizona and asks him to "Swear that he will faithfully and impartially discharge the duties of his office of Mayor to the best of his ability." Shaw swears to it. Chester Martin is called forward next to take his oath.

Chester puts his right hand on the book. He raises his left and repeats after the judge, "I, Chester Martin, swear to faithfully and impartially discharge the duties of the office of Marshall to the best of my ability." Judge Isby says, "Congratulations, Marshall Martin. I look forward to working with you in the future." Chester shakes the man's hand and says, "I do too, your Honor." He leaves the dais with a big smile on his face.

The five members of the Town Council each go next, being sworn in. Once they are done Emery Shaw goes to the podium and says, "Thank you one and all for coming. Following lunch the seven of us will be returning here to hold the first Town Council meeting. The five elected members of the council will be the only ones voting although the Mayor and Marshal will be allowed to participate in the discussions. The meeting will take place here at the Town Hall and the public is welcome to come and observe, as these meetings will all be open to the public. We will resume in one hour."

Chester and Clarisse go to the El Parador for lunch. The place is bustling as usual. Chester finds Estaban Fuente. He shakes the elf's hand and says, "I'm sorry you didn't win. You came close, though." Estaban shakes his hand and says, "My own fault, I should have joined your Unity Party when you offered me the chance. Still, I finished sixth among nineteen which isn't a bad showing. And I'm glad that you, Manny, Vera and Emery made it. If you four want me to join your party for the next election I will."

Chester says, "Thanks. Hey, just because you didn't get in, doesn't mean that you can't stay involved in the process. Show up at council meetings to give us a piece of your mind. It'll show people that you're willing to work for the good of Promise City. As far as you joining us in the next election, I don't see a problem with that." Estaban says, "I intend to. I got involved with both the Festival and Play to be part of this community. I'll be in front of the Town Council so often that they may regret my not being on it, in some ways a private citizen actually can do more than a council member since I don't have to play the politics."

Chester laughs. "Being a gadfly will make you stand out, that's for sure. It's good you're not discouraged by the election. Good luck to you Estaban. Clarisse and I are going to get some lunch now before the first meeting. I'll see you around."

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Two-hundred-sixty-six, “Telegram and Letters“, Wednesday, June 21st, 12:30 P.M.

Kate comments, "I can't decide if I should go with you, or watch with Mr. Gonzales and Nanuet. If Turner sees me he'll know something is going on. And I might be safer not in his sight." Ruby says, "That's true, he definitely knows what you look like. You've said you had many battles with these creatures Kate. What worked to kill them? In the past it's been Jake and his exploding ammunition and unfortunately we don't have that now." Ruby looks a bit sad for the moment before putting her serious face back on. "I do have my gun and some magical rounds but I don't know if they would work on creatures like him. And besides Nanuet and maybe George, who would be strong enough to stake him?"

Kate says, "Nanuet has the arrow, but even the best archer misses on occasion. Miss O'Hara used silver, apparently they are vulnerable to it. Along with clothes we should get anything sharp and silver we can. Holy water burns them. Minerva said garlic repels them but I never saw any real evidence of that. They're also supposed to be repelled by holy symbols. I have to admit, we did usually take the Flint approach, which was to blow them to tiny pieces. Not something we can likely get away with here."

"No, I don't think we should dynamite up Rochester. It's not a dusty 'ol mining town like Promise City." Ruby's finally cracking a smile again. "Okay, so our shopping list consists of dress for the theater, silver, holy water, some sort of stakes... I wonder if Al and Rosey are religious at all. No... they probably worships the Elven gods... I wonder if their holy water would work as well? I doubt George has any but it's possible." Kate says, "I don't think the particular gods matter, it's their power that harms them. I've seen one turn into a bat, and if the lesser ones we dealt with could do it I'm sure Turner can. My biggest fear is that he'll turn to that damned mist and float away from us."

Ruby ponders, "Hmmm... yes, we should think of a way to combat that. Really, even if we find a way to blow the mist around, he can still return to his coffin. He probably has them all over the country or even the world though, so I really don't know how we can kill him. We have to make that arrow count I suppose." Kate says, "I wonder if silver in a powdered from would affect the mist if it was blown into it? It's an interesting idea."

Nanuet suggests, "I should be able to bless the water and create this 'holy water' of which you speak. The silver should help if memory serves me and having this arrow will hopefully make Turner's death final should we be successful. The silver dust is an excellent idea though." Ruby laughs, "Well, did either of you bring some silver with you from back West? Probably much easier and cheaper to get it there!"

A letter is delivered by a courier to the house. It is addressed to “Ruby West in care of George Eastman” followed by the street address. The return address reads “Richard Broughton, Euclid Manor Hotel, Cleveland, Ohio.” The letter has the date and time of Monday evening. It reads:

“Dear Ruby:

I wanted to let you know that I recently saw our mutual friend Jane in Buffalo. She and her Aunt Flora were visiting your friend Roger. We attempted to enjoy our brief vacation there but unfortunately those businessmen that you and I had met in Rochester continued to seek us out in an attempt to finalize that business arrangement they sought. Aunt Flora wanted no part of that, so she left with Roger when it was time for him to leave the city.

Jane and I had a preliminary conversation with the businessmen and let them know we were not interested. We continued by rail until we reached Erie, Pennsylvania. The businessmen have proven to be a persistent group, meeting up again with us there. They were very disappointed that Aunt Flora was not with us, as she appeared to be the one they were most interested in doing business with.

Jane became concerned with your well-being, thinking that since we have refused the offer from these men as they might seek you out for reconsideration. She wanted to return to Rochester but I managed to convince her that you might not wish to see her right now, so it would be best for her to remain in Erie until she hears directly from you. She can be reached at the Governor Penn Inn on Canal Street.

I continued westward, arriving in Cleveland, Ohio. Your friend Roger had reached the city the previous night and had already seen Aunt Flora off on a westbound train. Hopefully she will be back with Uncle Roderick soon. Roger and his friends will be staying in this city for a couple of days. Ruby, I wanted to let you know that he has expressed that he cares very deeply for you Ruby, far more than I would have thought possible from your short time together. Should you wish to get a message to either myself of Roger I will be remaining at the hotel here in Cleveland until Friday morning. I hope all is well. I will telegram you when either Aunt Flora or Uncle Roderick are home.

Sincerely,
Richard.

Ruby is then interrupted by Al with the delivery of a letter. She excuses herself, going out back to read it. It doesn't take her long to return but she again excuses herself from her friends, telling them she needs to write a couple of letters. She goes to George's desk and takes her time there, pondering and carefully composing her letters:

Jane Boag
c/o Governor Penn Inn
Canal Street
Erie, PA

My Dearest Janie,

So much has happened since I last saw you. I am glad to hear you are safe and well and hope this letter finds you still the same. So far I have not heard from the businessmen again, not since the original incidents with Richard. I do not doubt they could return but George is keeping me safe and therefore safe I will stay. There are other dangers here though, things I have mentioned to you in the past, things of nightmares and of the night, so it may be better that you do not return here but rather return home. Of course, I will not turn you away should you return here and am always happy to see you, I would just prefer you not be put in harms way for I could not bare to see you harmed.

My current plan is to stay here for a little longer, I feel there are things to be said and done before I go; I am not sure just how long that will take. I will be stopping by the Meeting House on my travels; I believe your lover has some business to discuss with me. Something to do with Jake, perhaps he just wants to tell me his place in my life now that Jake is leaving our home for good. I am saddened by this turn of events but have been and will continue to move on, having known it was coming for a while. There is more to say but not through a letter.

I so enjoyed our trip together, you helped me celebrate my birthday like no other friend ever has and I appreciate it. I miss you and will see you soon.

Please stay safe until I see you again my friend.

Love Always,
Ruby

Petty Officer Roger Birch
c/o Euclid Manor Hotel
Cleveland, Ohio

Dear Roger,

Well, I was certainly surprised to hear that you are with my good friends Jane and now Richard. I thought you were getting on a military ship in Buffalo! They, and in turn I, very much appreciate you watching over my dear friend Jane and helping Richard where you can.

I must admit, I was a bit sad abandoning you the way I did on our last visit. I was very much enjoying myself and if I am not mistaken you were too. Unfortunate our visit had to end so abruptly. It turns out I really needed what you gave me that night, more than I can explain in a simple letter. So I thank you from the bottom of my heart and hope I also gave you something of meaning in return. Our night together will always be remembered fondly in my memories.

Perhaps we will meet again, I hope that someday we might. It is a small world after all!

Love,
Ruby

Richard Broughton
c/o Euclid Manor Hotel
Cleveland, Ohio

Dear Richard,

Hope this letter finds you doing well. From the sound of your last correspondence you have been busy! I’ll keep this short.

I am still here in Rochester. I am not positive when I will be leaving here, I suppose some of that is up to my host and friend George. I’m sure you realized before you left that we have become… close so I am not rushing to leave. I will make sure to see you before I return home. I hope Aunt Flora and Uncle Roderick are reunited shortly and that it all works out between them.

We are currently having our own troubles, I believe I have mentioned to you things of nightmares and legends and it seems that is all not over yet. I am surrounded by friends and family though and expect that all should be alright. My grandmother is here, as are my teacher and two of my friends from the Lucky Lady.

If by some small chance something does happen, my lawyer in Promise City knows my wishes for the Lucky Lady. Please use this letter of proof that I want you, yes you Richard to have my share of the Meeting House. Jane already has a large share of it and besides, you’ve very much earned it by accompanying us two crazy girls on our adventures through the city and risking your neck. Jane will be much happier with my clothes and jewelry, she’s had her eye on certain things for a while now! But rest assured I do not plan on you needing these directions any time soon.

Other than that my time since you left has been quiet! I am really enjoying my quiet time with George and look forward to it be quiet time again soon.

I wish you a safe journey home and hope to see you soon. I have grown rather fond of you so please keep yourself well.

Love,
Ruby West

Once her three letters are done Ruby gives them to Alvina and asks her to get them mailed as soon as possible. She returns to her friends. "I apologize for that, I had to get that done quickly though." "Now that I am through... what are we doing about Kate and the show tonight? I think she was right, if Colin sees her he'll know something is up and it's probably safer anyway for her to stay with Nanuet and Mr. Gonzales. She be safer just for the fact she doesn't have to meet my parents! But that's just my opinion. Anyone else got one before we go shopping?"

Kate says, "I think I need to stay with Mr. Gonzales and Nanuet. But I want to go with you, to a bank if we can. I can't think of a place more likely to have silver dust." Ruby says, "We could get things done faster if we split up... Perhaps Nana and I can do dress shopping and Kate and Nanuet can make a trip to the bank." Nanuet and Nana both agree it's a good idea. "What do you think Kate?" Kate says, "It all sounds fine, except I'm a bit worried about making a withdrawal from a bank. It's a public record of my whereabouts, and it's well known where I was yesterday if you get my meaning. I could just trade cash but I didn't bring that much with me."

Ruby stops short, mid thought. "You know what? George uses silver in his photography business. I bet he has something we could use! Why don't we hold off on the bank thing. Hopefully he'll be back soon, before the bank closes, and he can let us know if he has something we can use." "Really? I know nothing about photography, but if Mr. Eastman has silver dust that would be very helpful. Thank you, Ruby. If you don't mind, I'd like to rest a bit while you do your shopping. Could you perhaps show me your room?"

Ruby showed her to the pleasant room she had upstairs, which Kate suspected was sadly underused. Her friend left her there to rest, and Kate drew the drapes closed and pulled a small book out of her pocket and settled in to study spells she was more likely to need today. When she had done that she did lie down and sleep for a couple hours. By the time Kate came back downstairs Ruby and her Grandmother had returned. She went into the parlor, hoping Mr. Eastman had returned as well.

Ruby pulls Nanuet aside. For the first time today her smile has faded and the twinkle in her eyes is lessened. "I need to ask a favor of you, friend. Are you willing to hear me out?" Nanuet frowns slightly at Ruby's uncharacteristic serious demeanor. "Of course I will hear what you have to ask. What is wrong? What would you ask of me?" She sighs. "I am afraid you are the only one who can do this for me." She tries to give him a small smile. "I need you to kill me." Nanuet's face drops. "I... how... what? What in the name of the gods are you talking about? Have you gone mad?"

"No," Ruby sighs, "I have not, gone mad that is. What I am saying is this: If for whatever reason Turner gets me in his clutches, I need you to make sure I don't come back as one of his kind. And if I do, by all the gods, you have to make sure I'm put down quickly. Even if you aren't sure, you just have to do it. I can't bare the thought of coming back like that." Nanuet shudders involuntarily at the thought of any one of his friends becoming one of Turner's minions, but especially Ruby, one who so deeply represented a lust for life that his race revered. Life was the most precious thing to the elves. Nanuet took her hands in his own, nodded his head slightly and pulled Ruby closer enveloping her in a strong hug.

While embracing her and fighting back a tear Nanuet says "Please forgive me though, if I put all my initial efforts into insuring that this situation doesn't arise." Ruby hugs him back. He was strong and she felt safe there with him. But soon enough the time would come when she wasn't safe in his or anyone's arms. After the long embrace ends Ruby kisses his cheek. "It really means a lot to me. Will you promise?" Nanuet breaths deeply, holding Ruby by the shoulders at arms length and looks her straight in the eyes. "Yes, I promise."

Ruby places her palm flat on Nanuet's face. "You've always been a good friend to me, I consider you one of my best. I know it's a hard thing to think about and I appreciate your promise. You know I love you, right?" she says, the smile slowly returning to her lips. Nanuet's face turns crimson at Ruby's remark. "Love... me? I... no, I can't say that I knew that. I don't know what to say. I am lucky to have known you even for this short time. You are a special person Ruby West, no one I know has squeezed as much out of life as you have. It is your love of life that forced me to agree to your request. I return your friendship with all of my heart as well."

"Of course I love you, you're one of my best friends! I know I haven't been the best at telling people how I feel but I know it's important. Especially with what might happen tonight, or soon. I just need everyone to know how important they are to me." Ruby smiles at him. "Alright, enough sappiness. Let's go and kick some vampire butt so we don't have to have this conversation again."

Nanuet is thankful the conversation with Ruby was coming to an end. He realized what he had agreed to and understood where it was coming from. He had seen enough death in recent times that dwelling on the subject made him uneasy. "Agree, vampire butt kicking sounds like a good idea."

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Two-hundred-sixty-seven, “Future Plans“, Wednesday, June 21st, 12:30 P.M.

Jake goes over to the McCoy's table and says, "I trust that the sun shines more brightly for you two today? Seems to me the whole town is somehow a more pleasant place today." Prosper says, "Indeed, and much of it has to do with you Mr. Cook. I am not sure exactly how you accomplished what you did but I am thankful and grateful. You've not only freed me from involuntary servitude by a potential cloud of destruction no longer hangs over mine and Bonnie's families."

Jake says, "I cannot take all the credit, others had a hand in it as well. What now for the McCoy's? Do you have any aspirations that have been long held back by your problems with Adair, or might you be interested in staying in the saloon business with a less vexatious partner?" McCoy says, "If you're talking the Palace I'm interested. I know the girls there and the other employees. For that matter, Evan never wanted Bonnie around but with him gone she might be able to help out as well. She plays both guitar and piano and can also cook."

Jake nods a couple of times. "I envisioned it somewhat similar to how it used to be except with no limitations on race. Drinks, faro, roulette if the wheel survived, bawdy entertainment late at night, and the girls can ply their wares as they see fit. I thought that Finnegan might be good for security and an periodic fight night if he was still interested in that. Leave the serious poker to the Lucky Lady and the other saloons. Maybe even bring in the dwarven crowd if that makes sense..."

Jake takes a moment to imagine some dwarven saloon girls and shudders, "... um, yes and I thought we could rename it to the Silver Palace or something. Mind you, I have little interest monitoring the day to day activities of another saloon." Or any saloon, he thinks to himself, "That means I am looking for somebody to manage each different portion of the place, or even the whole place." He pauses and looks back and forth between them. "What do you think? Interested?"

McCoy says, "You're offering me the manager's job? Well sir, I will happily accept. That will also go a long way to keeping the current employees and customers, if a familiar face is there. If I have the management duties Mr. Finnegan would be a big help on security, as that was my job before. Nobody but nobody will give him a hard time. As for the wheel, no, I'm afraid that most of the first floor was a total loss.

I've been supervising the repairs, it'll be another week or so until the Gunsight Brickyard gets the walls completely repaired and probably another week longer to get the replacement windows from back east, as Tombstone's repairs had bought up all supplies within three-hundred miles. I wanted to wait until those repairs were done before I get Neil Cassidy to put down new floorboards, no point in getting them ruined by the other repair work. So we're talking a solid month, plenty of time to get a new sign made and order a new wheel.

Thankfully these repairs are all paid for by the property and items that Judge Isby had confiscated from the Hooded Riders and sold. I'm just glad that the Palace is still standing at all. According to what that Porter boy told the judge they had planned to toss enough dynamite through both the north and south windows to collapse the whole thing. They succeeded on the north wall but the guy on the south wall dropped half of his dynamite, killing himself in the process. Lucky break for us that he did." "Yes, quite fortunate,"

Jake says and remembers back to that morning where he shot the hooded rider in question and shrugs. "Best if we make our own luck though." Jake offers him a hand, "Congratulations, I am pleased to have you running things. Pay yourself a bartenders wage, and we will negotiate a percentage of the overall weekly take as your managers salary. Since you are now running the show for me, I will let you talk to Finnegan and offer the security position to him. Make sure you tell him we both think he is the man for the job.

I would like to be consulted on hiring of any lead roles, and you can handle all the rest on your own. If you think we need a working woman to manage the girls let me know, I have someone in mind.” McCoy "If you are referring to Miss. West I am afraid I will have to object." Jake says, "Heh, no, I was not considering Miss West. I do not think she would be well suited to that role. I had someone from out of town in mind. I am pleased that you are comfortable speaking your mind, but tell me what is your concern over Miss West?"

McCoy replies, "Honestly Mr. Cook, the impression she made upon me is an impulsive firebrand who acts first and thinks second....if at all. There is a time and place for that, but not in a management role in a saloon where I am employed." Jake chuckles. "Not to worry then, we both agree she should not be the lead girl. Let me know what you think later, but if we need one I will need some time to send her a telegram." McCoy says, "Send for her then. The other Lead, Kitty Trent, is gone and the only other past employee who I would have considered for that role is Miss. Boag, who has left as well and according to Mr. Van Horne doing quite well in Tucson and unlikely to return."

Jake says, "I will. Also, if you need any help leading the construction crew, tell Jeff Mills I asked him to do it. Pay him whatever he asks. This is working out rather well." Jake tips his hat, "Enjoy your meal." McCoy says, "I will do that, I admire what Mr. Mills did for you here. And with Adair gone the Calhouns and Cassidy will be able to use their full work crews, rather than just the human ones, so that should speed things up too."

Jake returns to the table with Minerva and Nakomo. Minerva motions for Jake to take his seat. "Nakomo and I would like to take you up on your offer of traveling together, if it is not too much of an inconvenience for you. We will need a few days to settle matters with the church be sure that the Sheriff has no objections with Nakomo leaving town and pack our belongings. How were you planning to travel, by coach or were you planning to ride?"

Jake replies, "Train as much as feasible. A horse is too much a pain in the behind for that long a journey, both figuratively and literally. So stage where the train does not go, and train the rest of the way. I am not interested in leaving tomorrow, so that is not a problem for me. As for packing, well, I travel light so packing is no worry for me either." Jake shrugs and smiles. "Let me know when you are ready to travel, that is a good enough schedule for me."

Minerva says, "We shall travel light also, since we do not know where we will end up. I expect that Nakomo and I can be ready to travel in a few days. We need to settle matters here first.
I will send a letter off to the Bishop and let him know what our plans are, but I do not expect him to have any objections since I plan to be on the road before he receives it." she chuckles and shrugs. Ah well, It is of little consequence since I am sure that Senor Lacy will find someone suitable to take over during my absence.

“Come Nakomo we have much to do." She stands and hugs Jake. "Gracias Jake, your company has turned a sad farewell into an adventure." her eyes darken momentarily. "I only hope that our friends return so that we may say Adios before we set out. I wonder where they have gone off too now? " Jake says, "Chet is here becoming Marshall Martin, and I saw Katherine last night. I do not expect they have gone too far." He shrugs again. "What do I know?" He bids them good day and spends some time around the saloon.

Minerva pays the check before heading home to organize her departure from Promise City. Later in the day she strolls over to Lacey's store to inform the proprietor of her plans. “Buenas Dias, Senor Lacy. How are you on this fine sunny day? I have come to speak to you of a matter of some urgency. Do you have a free moment?” Judge Lacey replies, "Certainly Priestess, how may I be of assistance to you?

She says, "Senor Lacy, You have been of great help to me and very kind while I have been in Promise City. It saddens me to tell you that I will be leaving. I do not know how long I will be away, but the gods have spoken to me and I must move on. I do not want to leave my flock unattended and I was hoping that you would know of someone who could step into my place." He asks, "Will you be back by September? That is when Laurie Gilson and I plan to wed. We were hoping that you would perform the ceremony."

Minerva says, "Nothing would please me more, Senor Lacy, but I do not know. I am a woman of faith. I must go where the gods lead. If they will it, I will be here." Lacey replies, "I understand, I have always felt the same way. Don't worry about things here, we will carry on until you return." She replies, “Gracias, Senor Lacy. It eases my mind to know that you are here to manage things. You are a good man." She reaches over and hugs him briefly. “Now, we will need some supplies before we travel." She wanders the store picking up various sundries and brings them to the counter.

She pays for her purchases and instructs Nakomo to bring them home . I am going to go and congratulate the new Marshall and speak to him about your traveling. You have paid your debt so I do not think that it will be a problem, but it is best to let them know. Minerva seeks out Chester and finds him and Clarisse at the restaurant. "Buenos Dias Marshall Martin!" She hugs him. "and Congratulations!"

Chester returns the hug. "Good day to you too, Minerva. Thank you you very much. It's still hard to believe that I'm Marshall now. But Clarisse tells me that the swearing-in ceremony wasn't a dream. What's new? I haven't seen you around lately." Minerva saddens a bit as she reveals her news. "Nakomo and I are leaving Promise City. The gods work is done here. The Church has been built, the people are working together as brother and sister, the monsters have been destroyed and now with such an outstanding Marshall our job is done here." Clarisse gasps, "What? Oh no. Priestess, we still need your guidance." Chester adds, "If the gods need you elsewhere, who are we to argue? Do you know where you're going? We'll miss you both and wish you well." He pauses and says, "What should I tell Nanuet?"

She says, "Gracias, Chester. I knew that you would understand my need to follow the path that the gods set before me. Tell Nanuet that I shall always love him and if it is the gods will, our paths shall converge again." She hugs him tightly and turning to Clarisse gives her a warm embrace. "Your Chester is an exceptional man, Clarisse and you are a strong woman. Take good care of him. May the gods bless you both and guard you from evil." Clarisse looks at Minerva with glistening eyes. "I promise, Priestess. Thank you for all you've done. You serve the gods well. Take care."

The priestess straightens up and reins in her emotions. "I came to speak to you of Nakomo. I am taking him with me. I assume that he has paid his dept to society for his transgressions but I want to be sure that the law will not cause him grief once we depart. Do I have the laws permission to take him?" Chester says, "Hmm. I better ask Marshall B... Oh right, it's my choice now. Nakomo's kept his nose clean and he's done some good things while he's been here. Hold on for a moment." Chester asks Harry Rote for a pen and paper. He writes a note granting Nakomo his release and gives it to Minerva. "Give this to him. Just in case."

She says, "Gracias, Marshall. Nakomo has proven himself to be a righteous man in the eyes of The gods. He has risked his life repeatedly to rid this town of evil and has asked for no recognition in return. This paper" she says holding out the paper that Chester has handed her "will insure that he is not badgered by those who do not know his character. I must go now and pack. I hope to see you before we go but if I do not, you will both be in my prayers." Chester tips his hat. "You're welcome, Minerva. I hope he won't need that, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. Safe journeys to you both."

She kisses his cheek and hugs Clarisse one more time and whispers in her ear. "perhaps when I return you will be Mrs. Martin." she chuckles and exits the restaurant. Clarisse turns bright red and put her hand over her mouth. She whispers back, "Maybe. I'll have to work on him." Chester looks confused. "What are you talking about?" Clarisse says, "Nothing, just some girl talk."

Jake had done all he could at the Lucky Lady that did not involve real work, and was in jeopardy of getting roped into some so he decided to do his errands around the town. First he sent a telegram to one Matilda E. L. Reiter of Chicago Illinois.

telegram wrote:
Mattie, Still interested in work out west? I won a saloon in a card game. I am need of a lead working girl. If you can stomach working for my saloon manager, the job can be yours. Bring any of the blue room girls if they are interested too. Send telegram back to confirm. Plan to arrive in one months time. Jake.

Next Jake brought the pistols he recovered from the disguised cowboy gang members on the day he blew up the mine to Pierre at his shop. Knowing not much more than they likely had magical ammunition in them he gives them to Pierre and makes a deal, "You take your time to figure out what they are and what they are worth to you, you pay me in enchanted Colt 45 rounds whatever you think is fair." He leaves Pierre to do so at his liesure.

Borrowing big Thom, Jake packs up his belongings at the house and has the hulking man bring them to Jake's big room at the Lucky Lady. While Thom does the heavy lifting for him, Jake goes to the El Parador to speak with Manuel Gonzalez. Finding that the old elf wizard is not around, Jake leaves a small box for Gonzalez. In the box are some potions, a pair of cuff links that lock, a belt buckle that turns the wearing into Silver Jake Cook, five dollars and a note:

Note wrote:
Senor Gonzalez,
For reasons that are difficult to explain but I suspect you will understand I have decided I will not be chasing after Ruby this time or any time. It pains me greatly to do so, but it is what must be. I no longer trust my judgment in this regard so I put in your keeping the potions that would allow me to find or spy on Ruby, and I relinquish any right of decision to the ring that hides in the belly of old Walter. I trust that you have greater wisdom than I on what to do with it.

If after that revelation you are still speaking to me, I seek a favor. First, included in this box are a pair of 'locking' cuff links, consider them yours to do with as you see fit. The favor is in regards to the belt buckle. If you are inclined could you replace the disguise with some nondescript person I could use as a disguise? If you are not inclined, I ask that you at least remove 'Jake' from the buckle, it could be quite embarrassing for me. If you decide to grant my favor and would care to be further compensated let me know.

Lastly, the box contains five dollars from the McCoy's to reimburse you the cost of the phone call on the journey where you assisted them. It is important to pay one's debts.
Jake

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Two-hundred-sixty-eight, “Ruby’s Decision“, Wednesday, June 21st, 4:45 P.M.

George returns and has everyone gather back together in the dining room to tell what he discovered. He states, "A man meeting the description that you gave for Colin Turner arrived by train in the middle of the night on Saturday. He had with him two other men and two large crates that were approximately coffin-sized. One of the rail-yard workers recalls getting a cart for him, which Turner and one of the men used to depart carrying only one of the crates. Nobody saw what became of the other man and the remaining crate, the most likely explanation being that they stayed only a short while at the depot and then left on another train, as there were four other trains that came through that night. Turner was not seen at the train station again although the horse and wagon that he borrowed were returned to the rail-yard livery before Sunday dawn.

Ruby sighs. "So there is no way we can kill him by using his coffin. We'd have to be dead on with that arrow." She looks knowingly at Nanuet. She snaps out of it suddenly. "George! Do you have any silver dust at your factory? Kate had a good idea but we need silver dust." George says, I have silver dust at the factory, why would you need that? Kate replies, "Vampires can change the form of their bodies, and one way is to become a cloud of mist. They are vulnerable to sliver, so I thought if he does go to mist silver dust blown into the cloud might harm him."

Kate then suggests, "He might have sent the second coffin on somewhere to create his next hiding spot. Turner's been here long enough to know exactly where Ruby is, and who else lives in this house. We should watch everyone who has been in and out of the house after dark since Sunday. Turner can get into your mind, leave you so no one else can tell. Has anyone been acting strangely?" Ruby says, "I don't think anyone's been acting crazy, except maybe me," she laughs. "But then again, I don't really know anyone here that well."

Kate says, "Turner would probably have made a move by now if he had taken hold of someone's mind who lived in this house, so you're probably safe, but keep your eyes open. You and your Grandmother go to the theatre with Mr. Eastman tonight and enjoy yourself. Mr. Gonzales, Nanuet, and I will find someplace nearby to watch from and see if we can't find Turner." "I'm not sure how much enjoying will go on. Not only is the Turner thing a possibility but I also have to face my parents again. But I guess I did okay last time, I should be alright this time." Ruby smiles. "The play is supposed to be great, so maybe. I mean, Turner doesn't have to show up tonight. Still... You'd better keep yourself safe too Kate, all of you. That's not a suggestion either." She turns to George. "Will you take a short rest with me before we have dinner?"

George replies, "If you'd like to Ruby we can. I can attest to the fact that nobody in this household has been acting any differently....well, that's not exactly true, I've been acting quite differently due to Ruby's presence. And I had originally planned to have us go out to dinner but I can cancel that reservation and we can eat here if you think that will be safer." Ruby takes George's hand in hers and smiles at him, he was acting so adorable.

Nanuet listens to the information given by George and the conversation had by the others then asks, “Any idea where the other trains that came and went that evening where headed to? Not sure if it will help, but I am curious.” He takes out his notebook and says "Yes, I have it here. One was Westbound to London Ontario, with stops along the way at Niagara Falls New York and Hamilton Ontario. Another went southeast to Trenton New Jersey with stops along the way at Elmira New York, Scranton Pennsylvania and Bethlehem Pennsylvania. The other two were Eastbound, both going to Albany New York with stops in Syracuse and Utica."

Nanuet takes in the information then continues, “While it would be safer to dine here, I also think that it is best if you try to alter your plans as little as possible. Turner probably knows I am here, but he shouldn't know about Kate, Mr. Gonzalez or Mina. If you suddenly change all your activities then Turner will know something is up. If instead you can go about your normal plans with the rest of us in hiding maybe we can surprise him." George asks, "Alright, so you are suggesting we keep the dinner reservation then?"

Ruby suggests, "As for dinner, if we go out we should only go George, Nana and I, because it will be dark and Turner might be watching us go in or out, and the same theory applies for Kate being with us, he'd know something was up. Al is a wonderful cook though and anyone who stays home will not be disappointed by her cooking." Nanuet says, "I wouldn't want you to be out without some protection though. When I suggested that I assumed the same group that would be following you to the theater would be following you to dinner."

Ruby says, "Then perhaps it's better for all of us to stay in then. Tomorrow we can all go out to dinner and celebrate being free from Turner's clutches!" Kate says, "Those of us following could just eat ahead of time. Goodness knows, I'm hungry most of the time anyway these days." Ruby states, "Either way I guess. I'll leave it up to those who would stay behind. George, can you send someone to get some silver dust?" He replies, "I will telephone my office and have one of my managers bring a bag of it here."

Kate says, "Thank you. And I say keep your dinner plans. We can keep an eye on you, and all it means is an early dinner, to which I do not object." George replies, "Not that early, the play doesn't begin until 8:00 P.M. The dinner reservations aren't until 6:45 so we still have a few hours." "That's settled then. I couldn't wait that long for dinner anyway. I must say Mr. Eastman, you're taking all this rather calmly," Kate said. He replies, "Not at all, I just show it in different ways." She nodded. "I tend to think now, and fall apart once I'm alone, after it's all over, myself," Kate admitted.

George excuses himself to go call his operations manager and to see that Alvina makes up an early supper for the ones who will be on guard detail. Ruby hovers near him during his phone call. Kate sighed and sat down next to her teacher. She picked up one of the photo albums Mr. Gonzales had been looking through and began looking through it. There wasn't really anything more to say, just a wait until dinner. "Is it possible for us to be invisible, Grandfather? I have my disguise, but I used it in Thomaswell and Turner might have seen it."

The Elf Wizard replies, "I used two of the three invisibility spells that I brought already but have one more. I also have two magical disguises with me, the younger version of myself and the old woman who you met before at the Lucky Lady." Kate says, "I think Nanuet should get the invisibility, and you and I should have the disguises. I also think... if we see Turner and it's a good opportunity, Nanuet should take the shot. Isn't it better to take him when he doesn't even know we're there?"

Gonzales says, "Yes, that would work. Katherine, I am afraid that I am out of my element here. I thought this would be a simple rescue mission, had I known we would be taking on the undead I would have taken an entirely different set of spells. This is also out of my league, the only undead I've dealt with before were magically animated bodies created by Necromancers, but naturally occurring undead are a whole different species entirely."

Kate says, "Then today I get to be the teacher and take care of you. We've been pretty... chaotic, in our methods. Mostly Jake throwing dynamite, but we've had to do this the hard way a few times. A wooden stake through the heart will kill him, silver weapons will hurt him more than others, and if we try to kill him bit by bit he will turn to mist and float away. It's far better to put that arrow in his back before he even knows we're there." Kate took his hand. "He can't see me, Grandfather. I can't give him any reason to come after me."

Gonzales notices a pile of books over on the desk at the far side of the room. He walks over and begins to look through the stack. "This is interesting, these are all magical histories, most of them written in French." He picks up one particular volume and says, "Oh my, I haven't seen this text in over a century." "What is it?" She stood up and went over to look at the books. "Why would Mr. Eastman have these?" Gonzales replies, "I don't know why he has them but this particular book is a history of world magic compiled by the great French wizard Marcel Andre LaPointe. Chapter fourteen is on the Mexican history of magic. I was the primary author of that chapter."

She says, "You were? And you don't have a copy yourself? How long ago?" He replies, "Sometime just before the American and French Revolutions. I admired his desire for accuracy, checking with the experts from each continent rather than just passing on rumors and innuendo."
Kate looked at the familiar French words. "Didn't Ruby say he was looking into magic? Seems Mr. Eastman doesn't do anything halfway." He says, "Yes, well, there doesn't appear to be anything dangerous here, mostly just informative. Of course, if the authorities were to find these volumes here he could be in quite a bit of trouble.

Kate says, "Which means we should be very careful not to attract the attention of any authorities. He mentioned earlier he was friends with the police commissioner, but even a friendship only forgives so much in the face of fear." Kate's eyes moved hungrily over the books. "Over one hundred years ago, then. Would this volume be available in France or Spain?" He replies, "Yes, both. I believe it was translated into twelve different languages." "How can you be so famous and so experienced, and still hide away in a tiny Arizona town?" Kate asked wonderingly.

He laughs, I am not famous. I said that I collaborated on that chapter, not that I was given credit. Then again, having your name on a book like this is dangerous, I'm better off remaining unknown." Kate says, "You heard about Miss O'Hara this afternoon, but what you don't know is that Mr. Tomlinson wants to take her to England for training for about a month. She'll get a telegram inviting her to a special class at Oxford. He's afraid that her mother won't approve of the two of them traveling alone, so I may be going with them as a chaperone. Once I arrive... perhaps you could visit and we could track down some of these volumes in France." He says, "Yes, of course I would visit. If anything this journey now has taught me that I should keep closer track of my little birds when they are away."

Kate hugged him warmly. "I always feel safer when you're keeping track of me. I'm a troublesome girl, you know. Ginnie and Liam and I are going to need a lot of looking after; the kind only a Grandfather can do. Although I admit, knowing you could be peeking in at me at any time... I'll be tempted to behave myself better." Gonzales replies, "It doesn't have to be 'any time', there is no reason we can't arrange the days of the week and times for my check-ins in advance. As the spell is visual only you could even hold up a notebook with anything you wanted to tell me."

Kate says, "It would be comforting to know that I could communicate with you whenever I needed to. I'm sure there are spells for such things, too. Communication, I mean. I'm so far behind, during the next month I want to spend a lot of time studying with you. Yes, I think both of us need to go to France to further our educations. I'm curious about this organization Mr. Tomlinson works for as well, the Watchers. They must have an enormous repository of magical and occult knowledge."

Gonzales says, "I have heard of them, but they are not really wizards in the true sense of the word. Most of their magic is clerical, spiritual in nature, rather than the pure arcane type that we practice. But they are greatly respected by those of us in the wizarding circles." Kate exclaims, "You've heard of them before? Did you know about the slayer then as well?" He replies, "No, they keep their secrets quiet."

Almost without thinking Kate slid down to sit on the floor in front of her teacher's chair. "Pure arcane type? I've seen Mr. Tomlinson do things that are definitely arcane. And I'm fairly certain her knows about me, although we haven't spoken of it." Gonzales replies, "Then don't. One thing that I know about that group is that they are honorable people and know how to respect a secret. My instinct says that you have nothing to fear from Mr. Tomlinson. All the same, I would appreciate it if you do not tell him about me." Kate says, "I never would. Despite the fact that I've told you about Miss O'Hara, I generally don't tell secrets that aren't my own. I tell you everything because it's so often important that you know, and I know you won't tell others. A girl has to have someone to tell her secrets to."

When Mr. Gonzales didn't answer she assumed he was reading something. A moment later she said, "May I tell you a secret now? I wish we could go home. I wanted to be home tonight and I intend to go home tomorrow. I know Ruby wants us to stay, and as much as I love seeing her I want to be where I belong." He closes the book and says, "I agree, we have responsibilities back home. We need to stay tonight due to that vampire and her need to meet with her parents but we can come up with an alternative plan for tomorrow which will include at least the two of us returning home."

When George is done with his telephone call she asks, "Will you rest with me now?" He replies, "Yes, we have time since we won't be eating with the others." "Let's go now then so we can get a proper rest." Ruby takes his hand and leads him upstairs, excusing them from anyone they bump into. Once upstairs Ruby lets her hair down, undresses to her undergarments and climbs into bed. She says, "A lot has happened today, it's already been a very emotional day and tonight may be a long night. I just need some... well, I just want your arms around me. I still have so much to say to you."

He removes his suit jacket and tie but keeps on his dress shirt and pants and lies down beside her, wrapping has arms around her waist. Ruby snuggles closer to him, pressing her nose against his neck. "I'm really glad you haven't run yet George, in whatever way running might be. Tonight you may see a lot of things, things that before a few days ago you didn't really understand or even ever see before. I just hope you don't get overwhelmed." He replies, "You overwhelm me every day, everything else is secondary." Ruby lifts her face to George and kisses him softly. "Something else. The flowers... you like them?"

He replies, "Yes, those roses are beautiful. It was a nice surprise to wake up to." She says, "For me too. And I should tell you now that I'm not sure their beauty will ever fade. They are from the Goddess Aphrodite." "What?" he exclaims. Ruby replies, "I told you I dreamed of her last night?" Ruby runs a finger across his face. "It's not the first time, see this?" She stops running her finger and holds up her hand, showing him the small, pink heart shaped scar on her palm. "I had a dream once, and in the dream she gave me this. When I woke up I really had it. It seems she has a special interest in me."

George looks over at the vase and says, "It appears that your belief about the roses never fading, is incorrect, two have already started to lose their petals." Ruby glances over. While all four plants were long stem red roses she now recalls from the dream that when each person held them the stems went down to the waist, and yet all four people holding them were of different heights. Looking at the vase she sees that the missing petals are from the longest and shortest of the roses, the ones that had been held in the dream by Roger and Jane.

Ruby blinks a couple of times. "Well, I guess I was wrong. I hope you don't think I'm crazy telling you all this. I know things are very crazy with everything that is going on today but I just feel you need to know... Would you hear the truth from me George?" "Yes, always," is his reply. Ruby pulls back slightly so she is looking in his eyes. She hopes to find love and contentment there looking back at her, along with a man with an open mind and heart.

She says, "When I left Promise City I was at a crossroads. I knew something wasn't right with Jake, yet we were still together. My whole trip, I did a lot of thinking about what would make me happy. I wrote to him and he never wrote me back. It only confirmed that my thoughts were correct. Then I came here, and saw you. And things just... I don't know... happened. I was so nervous and excited to see you and it was just this wave of craziness that swept over me." She slides her palm onto his warm face and smiles. "It's been wonderful. But I don't think I fell in love with you." His face takes on an odd expression and he says, "What...what do you feel towards me?"

She smiles softly. "I didn't fall in love with you in just these few days. I think I've always loved you, and just not been ready for it. So this trip made me remember something I should have never forgotten. This morning I got a telegraph from Jake. It put a final end to something that was already ended. I can't lie, I was upset. Jake did something for me, helped me start on a different path I guess you could say. So I, we, have to always be grateful to him. Because he put me on the path that would lead me to you. Those flowers, each one represented someone who loves me. Just today I sent letters to two of them, that may be why their flowers are dying. Jake's will die now too. But one will remain. Yours."

He breaks apart from her rather abruptly and stands, looking at the flowers, as a petal falls from the third rose. He walks over to the dresser cabinet and opens a drawer, removing from it a familiar box. He then walks back towards the bed and knells down on one knee. He open the box containing the ring and says, "Ruby West, will you marry me?"

Ruby sits up in the bed, her face unreadable. Thoughts swirl in and out of her mind, how she feels about him, how Kate said not to say yes right away, the problems of distance and how she still feels her home is Promise City. One final thought pushes the other away. The goddesses words sing though her head, Learn to follow your heart. She closes her eyes and silences her mind, listening to what her heart tells her. She opens her eyes and smiles at George. She leans forward, half off the bed, and kisses him gently. She locks eyes with his and whispers a soft, "Yes."

Across the room, the remaining petals all drop from the other three roses and the stems being to wilt. The fourth flower is now covered in a bright light which Ruby initially thinks is the setting sun shining on it until she realizes that the window in George's room faces east instead of west and it is the rose itself that is casting the light. Ruby smiles, "Look at the rose, George. It's beautiful." “All that I see is you," is George's reply.

He then adds, "Please, put on the ring, I want to see it on you." Ruby playfully extends her ring finger to George. "That's your job Mr. Eastman," she teases. He removes the ring from the box and places it on her finger. He says, "We should dress and head back downstairs, people will start to wonder where we are." She says sternly, "George, we haven't been up here all that long... besides...," her frown turns to a smile and she screams, "We're getting married!!" She tackles him to the floor, kissing him all over. He embraces her and they collapse onto the bed.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Two-hundred-sixty-nine, “Puppy Love“, Wednesday, June 21st, 5:15 P.M.

Ruby had retired to her room with Mr. Eastman, Kate was off with her teacher, a man Nanuet had a great respect for. Nanuet decided to spend some time outside, walking the grounds but always keeping the house in view. He played with Maska briefly then spent some time in quiet prayer. Nanuet sees some movement along the hedges on the east side of the house separating the Eastman property from the neighbor. It appears to be a small mostly-black puppy, definitely part or mostly Black Labrador Retriever. It appears to be not much older than Ruby's pups back in Promise City. It is hiding beneath the shrubs and pokes its head out to watch Nanuet and Maska.

A little while goes by, the two lovers celebrating their new engagement. When they are finished Ruby lays in George's arms. "Well, that wasn't the kind of rest I had been thinking of but surely the excitement will get me through the night. It's like I'm floating on clouds!" She extends her hand away from them so they can admire the flawless diamond. "Well, how do YOU think it looks baby?" He replies, "Perfect".

They dress and head downstairs. Alvina has set the table for Kate, Nanuet and Gonzales to eat. Kate and Gonzales head out from the library to dine. Ruby bounces downstairs and arrives in the dining area with rosy cheeks and twinkling eyes. Her lips are turned into a huge smile. "Oh I have the BEST NEWS..." she starts until she realizes Nanuet is missing. Alvina says that Nanuet is currently outside with his wolf. Ruby exclaims, "I should go outside and get him too first..." She starts towards the door but has to pass by Kate and can't wait. Jumping up and down excitably, she babbles, "GeorgeandIaregettingmarried!!" as she holds out her finger to her friend and teacher.

Kate stared for a minute. Her first instinct was to caution her, ask if she was ready, if she really thought this was what she wanted, to ask question after question about what would happen now. But she resisted that urge and just focused on the happiness on her friend's face. She tried to speak a couple times but nothing seemed right. Kate took her hand and squeezed it. "I'd ask if you're happy but you obviously are. Sounds like you've found what you wanted."

Ruby bounces up and down a few more times before embracing Kate. "I am happy!" Then as she tightens her embrace she whispers in Kate's ear, "I know what I'm doing." She pulls away and smiles at the petite woman. "When the goddess of love is with you, I'd imagine you do," Kate smiled. "There's going to be a lot to work out, but don't worry about that now, just enjoy." "Oh I know there is."

Ruby looks down at the ring then to her new fiancé. "George knows I need to return to Promise City, we've discussed it." Her teacher has yet to say anything, so she decides to give him a minute before prodding him. Ruby exclaims, "I'll be right back, I'm going to get Nanuet." She leaves George with Kate and Gonzales and hurries outside. Still beaming she wanders out back looking for her friend calling out "Nanuet, where are you?"

After she has left Gonzales turns to Kate and says, "Why don't I see this idea working?" Kate sighed. "Because this kind of life is exactly what she ran away from. Because neither of us really trusts Aphrodite? Because we've known Ruby to be carried away by her emotions far beyond reason? Because we know that she has not healed enough from her past yet. She needs to be told and shown constantly that she is loved, and she needs it proved. And sometimes even just disagreeing with her can be taken as a rejection.

Because she still thinks in terms of fairy tales, that her future can be as glorious as her past was horrible. Which is true, but the glory isn't what she thinks it is. As much as she was on her own for a long time, I'm afraid she hasn't learned to stand on her own and agreed only from need. But we don't really know. She's changed these weeks since she's gone, and perhaps she's learned more than we realize." Gonzales says, "Does a person change that much in such a short time? And I thought that she was in love with Mr. Cook?"

Kate replies, "I know from personal experience that change can come fast. And that there is room in a heart for more than one. I think Ruby's known for some time that much as she loves, and I do mean still loves, Jake, that it wasn't going to work out. Sometimes love isn't enough, and just that lesson learned can make a big difference. And Mr. Eastman is no stranger to her. They have a long history, and Ruby didn't run from him so much as her parents. Maybe all she needed to accept him was to do it on her own terms. And I doubt they will be married right away. Ruby did say she wants to come back to Promise City, and he hasn't objected. So, perhaps Mr. Eastman has learned some of what Ruby will need to be happy."

Gonzales replies, "Perhaps, but I remain skeptical. And while I agree that Jake and Ruby were a poor long-term match, one of them would have gotten the other killed eventually, I am not sure how well he will take this news. It has been a few weeks since we spoke on that subject but he was rather committed to keeping her away from Eastman, to the point of wanting to kill the man."

Kate says, "I don't know, Grandfather. I think a lot of that was because Ruby herself wanted him away from her, rather than Jake hating him on his own accord. Jake has his own code, and he would have done whatever he had to in order for Ruby's wishes to be respected. As it's no longer her wish to keep Mr. Eastman away... And he already planning on moving on. I don't think he'll like it, but I don't think his reaction will be extreme either."

Outside, Nanuet smiles at the sight of the little pup. He slowly approaches, keeping Maska by his side. Once he is about five feet away he crouches down and slowly reaches out a hand, keeping it low, under the puppies head. He hears Ruby's voice calling to him and he holds up his other hand, palm outward hoping she'll see him and stay where she is. He waits for the puppy to react. She approaches him from behind and can't see what he's doing. She calls out, "Nanuet I have good..." She stops short seeing him crouching down. "What are you doing?"

He turns halfway back to her before returning to his efforts of trying to coax the dog to come to him. "Are you familiar with this cute little one?" he says to Ruby indicating the puppy. "He's a curious little one." She says, "I didn't even know it was here!" Ruby walks over slowly to where Nanuet is. "Oh, it's so adorable! I love puppies!" She looks over Nanuet's shoulder at the black pup. "Is it okay? Does it need food?" Nanuet says, “I don't know yet, I just saw him myself."

Ruby says, "Awwww, well, try to lure the poor thing out so we can see! I wonder if it's a boy or girl?" Ruby rests her hand on Nanuet's strong shoulder as she continues to peer over him curiously. The puppy takes a look at Maska and hurries back under the shrubbery, apparently afraid of the wolf. As it scampers by the roots of the bushes Ruby gets a slightly better look, seeing that while it is mostly black it has two white paw pads, the right front and left rear. It also has a white triangular-shaped spot on its chin. Ruby gets enough of a glimpse to tell it is male and a little on the thin side.

Nanuet shoos Maska away, forcing the sullen wolf to back off. He fishes in his pouches for anything edible and finds a small piece of beef jerky. He holds it out to the puppy. Ruby kneels down next to Nanuet and tries to coax the puppy out. "Come on sweetie, come on out. We won't hurt you..." She elbows Nanuet, "We have to get the poor little guy out!" The puppy begins to move forward. He eyes Nanuet cautiously and moves closer to Ruby.

George Eastman exits the house, seeing Nanuet and Ruby over by the bushes to the east side of the house. George thinks they are looking at the plant and comments "That's a European Cranberry Bush, next month it will be in full bloom. The little red balls aren't actually cranberries but they somewhat resemble them, which is where the bush gets its name."

As the pup is now near her, Ruby waits until he is distracted by George to scoop up the little black puppy into her arms. She holds the struggling dog close to her and rubs him behind the ears as she swings around to face George. In her best soothing voice she says to him, "It's okay little one, you'll be alright. You're safe now." She turns and says, "George, look at the puppy that's been hiding in your bushes... isn't he adorable? He needs some food and water."

George replies, "Okay I guess, I don't know all that much about dogs." He walks over towards Ruby and adds "But whatever will make you happy." George then glances up to the bedroom that they had just been in and lowering his voice comments to Ruby "You'd think we left the light on from the illumination coming from that window." Ruby looks up and indeed sees light coming from the magical rose in the room, exacerbated by the fact that this side of the house is now in the shade of the setting sun.

The puppy notices Maska again and begins to struggle in Ruby's arms to try to get further away from the wolf. George says, "I can go inside and see if Alvina can bring some food out for the two of them, but the little one doesn't appear to like your friend's pet very much, we might need to feed them separately." "Well, let's see." Ruby takes the puppy and walks him away from Maska. She keeps using a soothing voice and petting him gently. She sits on the steps to the house and asks, "Do you want to stay here little one? Or do you already belong to someone else?"

She smiles, not expecting an answer. She looks into his eyes. "My, but you are cute!" The puppy leans its head up and licks Ruby's face. It then snuggles into her arms. "Awwww, George, we have to keep him! Today is like the best day ever!" She rubs her nose against the pups then looks at George. Lowering her voice she says, "We should do something about that flower I suppose. Was it that bright earlier or do you just keep falling in love with me more?" she teases. He replies, "No it just seems brighter since this side of the house is shaded."

Ruby calls over, "Hey Nanuet, leave Maska over there and come and see the puppy!" As Nanuet nears the puppy buries itself deeper into Ruby's arms and bosom, apparently nervous of the Indian as well. Ruby says, "Oh, he's so frightened. Let's bring him inside and get him some food, maybe he'll be more comfortable in there away from Maska." Ruby holds the puppy tight, stands carefully and starts towards the door. She stops suddenly and calls out, "Nanuet, I have something to tell you! Can you come inside please? Plus you can get something for Maska to eat."

Nanuet says, "It seems he doesn't like me for some reason. I can't imagine why. Perhaps he was abused by a male before, or maybe I smell enough like wolf after playing with Maska? I think it's probably best if I stay away for now Ruby. He seems to have taken a liking to you though." “He's not the only one afraid of you savage Indians!" Ruby teases, still rubbing behind his ears. "Or perhaps he just has good taste!" "Come on now," Ruby pleads, "I can't wait forever to tell you my good news! I guess if you won't come inside..."

She wanders back over to her friend. Still clutching the puppy in her right arm she holds out her left hand to his face. "I'm getting married!!" she squeals and bounces a couple more times, beaming. "You're doing what?" Nanuet exclaims. "Well, I must say... that I don't know what to say. It certainly seems as though you are happy. It seems to be a bit of odd timing, but congratulations!" Nanuet examines the ring to be polite and gives Ruby a hug. He then walks over to George and offers his hand. "I hope you know what you're getting yourself into. Of course you probably know her better than anyone."

She waits for George to hold the door open for her and she carries the pup inside. George tells Nanuet that dinner is ready for him and then holds open the door for Ruby as she heads inside with the puppy. Ruby continues to bounce and cuddle the pup as she enters the house and back to the dining room. "Look!" she says excitedly, "Our first engagement present! He was outside hiding in the bushes, poor little thing..." Ruby stops suddenly, "George, we should tell Al, Rosey and William. Why don't you get them?" She turns back to her friends, her smile still huge. "So... what do you think?"

"About the puppy?" Kate teased. "He's cute enough I suppose, but I'm more of a cat person myself. Ruby, I want you to do what makes you happy, and only you know what that is. If you're happy, I'm happy." Her eyes wander to George momentarily before back to the puppy. "He IS adorable isn't he?" She scratches under his chin and he seems much calmer in her arms. "I hope he doesn't belong to someone else, I've already fallen in love."

Ruby exclaims, "I am happy Kate. I was happy to see you and my beloved teacher this morning, and then Nana and Nanuet... all my favorite people in the world who I missed so badly right here with me. And now the path for a different life and someone who truly loves me, what more could I ask for? I didn't even ask and I got a puppy! Although I admit he makes me miss my pups from back home. But you know what I mean... it's been wonderful. Although..." her voice trails off and she seems to get lost in her thought.

Kate says, "Never wait for the perfect day Ruby, you'll spend the best days of your life looking for one that's better. Whatever that although is, it can't cast a pall on this day." Ruby looks away from her friend and down to the new puppy. "The although... it's... you." Kate says, "Honey, I can't completely share your joy. I hardly know Mr. Eastman, and everything was very different when you left for your trip. I need some time to take it all in. But I can see the happiness on your face, and I will love anyone who makes you happy. Even Aphrodite, and you know how hard that is for me."

Ruby stares at her friend for a moment. "It's not that at all, Kate, I know you're happy for me. Or that this is all so sudden, once you think about it, you'll know it's best for me and will be. What I meant is that I am very very worried about you going out tonight, in case Turner does show up, and you being there in any way. I watched once when one of those creatures bit you, I can't bare to see it again." She looks back down at the puppy, more to avoid looking at her friend than anything. Ruby says, "I am wondering if it might not be the best thing for you to stay here. Or even, go home. I mean, Turner might not even come tonight and you're not going to stay here forever. As much as I might want that..."

"The thought has crossed my mind," Kate said as she rubbed her neck. "I decided not to go to the theater because I thought it would be safer with the others than with you, where Turner's attention would be focused. We didn't expect to encounter this when we came here or I would have stayed home safe. But we are here and low on resources. Mr. Gonzales has no experience with Vampires, so we will need everyone. I don't like it either, I'm going to be as safe as I can. We'll be disguised and distant. I hope that will be enough."

Ruby replies, "I'm not going to argue with you, I want both of you here with me and wish we were always together, no matter where that is. But if you are low on resources, it seems not wise to bring you along to... to... put you in harms way if you can't even defend yourselves. It's the only thing that can ruin my almost perfect day."

Kate replies, "I have all my resources, I have used nothing today. I meant only that we are a small group, not as many people with as many divergent skills." Kate sat down at the table and picked up her fork. "I'll do everything I can to keep from marring your perfect day. I like it just the way it is."

Alvina brings out the meal for Nanuet, Kate and Gonzales to have. George says that he is going upstairs to change clothes for the restaurant and theater. Ruby waits for a few moments, staring at all her friends. Finally she smiles again. She kisses Kate on the cheek. "You do that sweetie, I like it just the way it is too." She starts to the door. "Enjoy your dinners everyone!" She hurries up stairs after George. George's door is shut. She knocks at the door. "Honey, I, uh, wanted to see something in your room before I get dressed..."

He opens the door to let her in. Still cradling the pup in her arms she enters the room. She walks over to the remaining rose to take a look at it. The rose begins to glow brighter as she approaches it. "George, so you see this? It's so beautiful..." She approaches it, gently places the puppy on the floor and then takes it from the vase. The rose then fades, the glows brighter again, then fades, then glows brighter again. The puppy becomes startled and runs under the bed. George says "What on Earth?"

Ruby says, "You're asking me? You take it!" She thrusts to towards George and see what happens when he holds the rose. The rose continues to increase and decrease in the intensity of the light it is giving off. She exclaims, "I... I don't know what's wrong with it. Aphrodite must want something from us, but what? Maybe something from both of us together? Or maybe she is trying to tell us something? Oh I wish I knew more about religion! It could be something serious."

Ruby steps towards George and places her hand over his, so they are both touching the rose. "What should we do?" He replies, "I have no idea, Gods have never tried to communicate with me before!" "I... I don't know," she stammers. She takes the rose and puts it back in the vase. Before she lets go of it she looks out the window to the darkening sky, "What am I supposed to do??" George does not answer.

She backs away from the rose and watches what it does. Then she gets on her knees and looks under the bed. "Come here little guy, you have to come with me." She tries to coax the puppy out from under the bed. The puppy moves closer and locks eyes with her. Ruby feels lightheaded and then falls asleep, her head falling onto the floor. George rushes over to help her as the puppy darts out from beneath the bed.

While George is checking on Ruby the puppy moves behind him and transforms into the form of Colin Turner, attired almost all in black save for a white shoe on his left foot, a white glove on his right hand and a white ascot around his neck rather than a necktie. The Vampire Lord then states, "Thank you for allowing me into your home." George turns his head and is struck with a closed fist of exceptional force, knocking him unconscious.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Two-hundred-seventy, “Catching up and Moving on“, Wednesday, June 21st, 1:15 P.M.

Leaving the El Parador, Jake meanders the town looking for Neal Cassidy. Finally locating him he asks him about the school and if his organization was still assisting it. Jake also asks Neal how much it costs to run the school for a month. Neil scratches his chin. "The committee is still sponsoring the school, but everything's up in the air with the town council meeting today. They're going to talk about a public school and how it would affect the Hoover School. Or if the Hoover school should become the public school. Jake's brows knick over that but he lets Neil continue

“As for the costs," Neil pauses and begins to tick items off his fingers, "There's the ladies salaries, supplies, maintenance on the building, and the lunches and snacks provided for the students. That probably all comes to anywhere between $125 to $150 a month. And since the school is new there are still costs for books and such. That includes some things like seed and gardening tools for the students to use in their lessons. Mrs. Kale and I have talked a little bit about the extras she'd like, things like musical instruments and books for teaching languages, and more speakers that we might have to pay to come out. Most of that she doesn't expect us to cover, but she doesn't think small."

"Heh," Jake laughs as if that is some private joke. "Fine, thanks Neil. I will think about how I might help out, but wait for the outcome of the council meeting. I will see you later." Jake returns to the Lucky Lady seeking out either Tony Lucky or Van Horne. Jake is able to locate Cornelius Van Horne at the Lucky Lady enjoying one of Maria's home cooked meals. Jake asks, "How about enhancing my bank account with the tournament winnings?"

Van Horne replies, "Already done, and since you already had an account at the First National Bank they just put it there instead of having to open a new one for you. Well Jacob, it has been a few eventful days. I think you should know that I received confirmation the telegram which I sent with your message was received by Miss. West. I have also heard from our associate Richard. He says that Miss. West is now in the company of George Eastman as per her decision."

Jake states, "Oh." Silence. "I suppose I should have anticipated that. I am also not supposed to care." More silence. "Time for me to start enjoying the scores of lovely and lonely women that inhabit these western states and territories," he finishes rather unconvincingly. "Tell me, where is Tony Lucky and your security man who allowed his cousin to fool him so easily. At least I hope he was fooled and not an accomplice."

Van Horne lowers his voice and says, "Permanently gone from Promise City. After the situation with the fake Job Kane, when Tony Lucky took that potshot, our friend Francesco was able to convince his cousin that he had overstayed his welcome in Promise City. Francesco presented to him that Mr. Lucky's luck had run out, that he'd played both sides of the fence one time too many, and it was only a matter of time until either Evan Adair or Judge Isby would be after him. The timing was good at that preceded Adair's arrest, otherwise I doubt we would have been able to be rid of him so easily."

"I must differ with you on that." Jake's eyes dark on a rare dark and angry look, "I was going to be rid of him, one way or another. I do not take well to those who abuse my trust." The moment fades, "No matter now, he is gone." He scratches his chin a few times before continuing, "Seems the Lucky Lady is short a dealer."

Van Horne replies, "Sorry Jake, I didn't mean to cause any trouble. If you really want to catch up with him though you don't have to go far, they've only gone to the other side of the mountains as Tony Lucky had a few things to take care of in Galleyville before leaving the area for good. That ghost town isn't a very safe place to be and Jake Cook probably has some enemies there, but I'll loan you the Allistar disguise if you really want to see Tony again."

Jake says, "No, no, that is not what I meant. I did not agree that he would be difficult to rid. He is gone and we are the better for it. Unless he causes me trouble with his business in Galleyville there is no need to think about him any more. I do need to replace him, and have someone cover for me so I can do a bit of traveling. I wonder if Branford would be interested?" Van Horne says, "Actually he is, he was here this morning looking for you to discuss that very prospect. I didn't see him myself but I believe he spoke to both Harry Rote and Marshal Martin about it.”

Jake nods and smiles. "That would be good news. It would please me to give him a good table and have someone around I can trust to keep an eye on things." Jake nods a few more times. "In the next few days I will be headed towards San Francisco. I want to visit my sister. It will give me a chance to size up her husband. Mostly it will give me a chance to see my niece, Miora." Jake grins sheepishly, "Can you imagine me as uncle Jake?" He laughs. "I will be checking out the waterfront district for an opportunity to start up a saloon there. I need to invest some of my money before I drink it all."

Van Horne replies, "Well Jacob, if you wish for a second investor I am willing. I already have $ 125,000 in a San Francisco bank which I can wire them to make available to you." Jake says, "That would be one dandy of a saloon. I did not expect to need that much, and am not even entirely sure that I will buy something, but thank you." Jake leisurely passes time with Van Horne, and gathers up some of the old newspapers around the saloon to catch up on what he has missed over the last several days.

Minerva takes a break from packing and decides to visits with Bea, sure that the word of her impending departure will spread quickly after their visit. She stands in the dry dusty street before the boarding house and looks up at the window with a melancholy smile remembering the evening that Nanuet began to court her and how he serenaded her from the street. She wipes away the single escaping tear and marches up to the door. She knocks and enters in the same movement. "Bea are you home?"

Mrs. Russell comes out of the kitchen and states "Ah, Priestess Minerva! How are you today?" Oh, Bea, it is good to see you. "she says hugging the woman a bit too tightly. "I am fine Bea, I was just in need of some of your tea and maybe a bit of whatever you are baking today." Bea quickly gets a a teapot and offers Minerva a choice of India Black tea or Earl Grey. She has cooked up blueberry bread and has some home made butter to go atop it. Minerva admires Bea's efficient movements. "I am going to miss her most of all."

The Priestess says, "Earl Gray will be fine, Bea. Come and sit. I have some news to share with you"

She replies, "And I have something to share with you as well. Elton Hubbard has offered my husband a job at his mining office, so we will finally have the money to expand and refurbish this boarding house." Minerva exclaims "Oh Bea, that is wonderful! I know that you have wanted to make improvements, but will it not be more work for you? If you expand then you will take on more boarders and your husband will not be here to help if he is working at the mine."

She says, “He will be working in the office and mine assaying room, not the mines themselves. It is getting to be more work than the clerk Earl Hogan can do himself. And his salary will be high enough that we can hire somebody to help me around here and be financially better off than we are now." Minerva replies, "I am quite pleased for you Bea. Your are a wonderful woman, I am sure that the gods will continue to smile upon you. Perhaps by the time I return the renovations will be complete."

Minerva visits with Bea for a while, telling her of her plans and enjoying the comfort of easy banter. Bea needed little encouragement to fill her in on the latest news about town describing in detail who was doing what to who and what happening where. certainly kept her ear to the ground and seemed to know everything about the goings on in Promise City and its environs. Satisfied that her news would spread faster than a wildfire Minerva ended her visit with a tearful embrace and made her way home to pack and wait for the news to spread.

Emery Shaw approaches Chester and says, "Marshal, the Town Council is about to meet. You and I don't get to vote on the council be as elected officials we are allowed to participate at their meetings. Interested?" Chester says, "Sure thing, Mr. Mayor. Let me say goodbye to Clarisse and I'll be right over." Chester tells her, "I'll see you tonight, dear." He kisses her on the cheek. She says, "See you later, Chet." Chester says to Shaw, "OK. I'm ready now." They walk over to City Hall.

Nakomo systematically worked his way from room to room making sure that their personal things were packed away safely until they returned. They would be leaving the furniture and most of their belongings behind in the hopes that they would be back before too long. In the mean time who ever the church got to take over for the priestess would be living here during their absence.

He prayed that whatever work the gods had planned for them on the west coast would be finished quickly. He had never really had a home before and it was more difficult than he wanted to admit, to leave this one behind even for a short time. He had made friends here and begun to set down roots, but Miss Minerva had taught him that life was transient and he must not cling to it to tightly. The gods had plans of their own, she had said.

He thought of Emily and how she had made him feel so welcome and yet at the same time stirred up feelings of unease in the pit of his stomach. How when he had followed his instincts and tried to treat her like a lady she had pushed him away. Well, comfortable or not, he was going to say goodbye, and closing up the last box he went to find her. School finally let out and Emily was glad to get back outside. Mrs. Kale was absent again, but she seemed to be the only person who ever wondered about what took her away so much. Uncle Emery was probably still at the town hall for the council meeting, but he hadn't said it was alright for her to leave school alone. Maybe he was sending someone? She sat down on the bench outside the door to wait.

Nakomo stood outside of the school kicking up dust with the toe of his moccasin when Emily finally came out. Taking a deep breath, he walked over dropped down beside her and continued his inspection of the dirt. "How was school today." "It was school, about the same as always. Mrs. Kale wasn't here again, and neither were you. What were you doing today?" Emily asked curiously. "And is there something interesting on the ground?" Nakomo stops kicking the dirt and looks directly at her. "I was packing. We are leaving.”

"What?" Emily asked, eyes wide. "But why? I thought the Priestess just got here a couple months ago." Nakomo says, "The gods have called us elsewhere." He says puffing a bit with pride. "I will miss you Emily. You have been a good friend to me, and have made me feel welcome when others did not." Emily says, "Me? I didn't do nothing much, 'cept talk to you like anyone else. Well, not exactly like everyone else, not like folks who ain't my family. It'll be kinda lonely after you go. There's not many people like you and me here. School'll be pretty boring."

He replies, “Nah, school's not so bad and anyway, pretty soon you'll be so lost in your studies with Jiminez that you'll forget all about me. I hope we're not gone too long though. I kinda like it here.” Emily nodded, not sure what to say. "I don't think I'll forget about you, don't matter how busy I am. Listen, I'm real sorry about what happened. I just... People weren't always real nice to me in Chicago, 'specially boys. They wanted me to do what they wanted even if I didn't want to, and tried to make me. I know you wouldn't do that but when you wanted me to go in the school... I guess I'm just kinda sensitive about it," she finished, taking her turn at looking down at the dirt.

The Indian boy replies, "I know what its like when people are mean to you. Pakeso and Nesenkeag used to be pretty mean to me. I would never hurt you Emily, or make you do stuff you didn't want to. I was just treating you like a lady. You deserve that." he pauses for a minute and says. Maybe when I come back you won't mind being treated like a lady so much." Emily pouts, "I ain't a lady. Can't imagine every really being one; too much a tomboy I guess.

She then asks, “You really think you'll come back here? If the gods call you away once what makes you think they won't just send you 'round and 'round till you're older than Jadito?" Nakomo shrugs his shoulders. "Maybe they will? But I gotta do what I gotta do, don't I?" Miss Minerva says I haffta trust in the gods, so that's what I'm gonna do. But that doesn't mean I don't get to choose and I really want to come back her some day so I will. " She replies, "I hope so. Could be a while though. We're gonna live a long time, you know." Emily looked down again, not sure what else to say. They hadn't really known each other that long.

"Maybe you'll write me a letter... or something. Maybe," she said. He stands a smiles at her awkwardly stuffing his hands into his pockets. "I would like that, if you would write back. he mumbles while pushing his moccasin into the dirt "Well I gotta get back home. I have a lot left to do. He pulls his hand out of his pocket and holds it out for her to shake. "It was nice knowing you Emily." "I'll write back, as long as I know where to send it," she said. She took his hand and shook it a bit awkwardly. "You'll still know me, even if you're far away."

Not knowing how to respond Nakomo nods and walks away and says softly to himself, "I'll never understand girls." Emily stood there for a minute, confused and saddened. But at least she got the chance to apologize. It was a little bit of a relief though. She didn't want to be anything but friendly, and she wasn't sure Nakomo felt the same. She still hoped he would come back, though. After her saddening talk with Nakomo, Emily walked over to the council meeting with Mrs. Caudell. She's thought it would have been already over, but it was just starting. She managed to worm her way forward to sit within good view of her Uncle.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Two-hundred-seventy-one, “Ruby’s Disappearance“, Wednesday, June 21st, 6:00 P.M.

Kate sat down to Alvina's good dinner and ate with a will. Her appetite had kicked up with a vengeance the last few days, and today was the first chance she'd really had to indulge it. She says, "Grandpere, while we're here maybe we can find some strawberries to take back. They're all I've been thinking about for weeks." The old elf laughed and some of the thick tension in the room eased, but it still stalked them through dinner. Ruby remained upstairs, but then she had a night out to get ready for, and who knew what else was going on up there. Kate didn't really want to know.

As they finished up, Alvina came out to clear up the dishes and they all thanked her again for the dinner. "I suppose we'll want to wait for Ruby to see what we're going to look like before disguising ourselves. And we'll have to figure out how we're following." Mina Parker sweeps into the dining room, much the way Ruby normally does. She is dressed for the theater in her new evening gown. "Evening everyone. I hope you're all prepared for an exciting night," she says with an easy smile.
http://www.lenox.com/cat/index.cfm?fuseaction=prod&cat=col&subcat=fash&flt=fash&pid=737&kf=117

"Prepared for one, but hoping to find it exceedingly dull. Dull is much better for my digestion," Kate answered. "Ruby must be nearly ready by now, they won't want to be late." Mina laughs. "From what I know of my granddaughter, she takes her time primping. Not that she needs to. Someone might have to remind her to hurry up," she laughs.

Manuel Gonzales stands and says with a smile, "My Mrs. Parker, you look ravishing. If you were not already married I would offer to be your escort." She smiles easily in return and nods her head. "Why thank you, that's very sweet. You may call me Mina. May I call you Manuel?" He says, "Certainly, Ruby has spoken of you so often I feel that I already know you." She replies, "Very good. While she was at my home she talked a lot about you too, all of you actually. She seemed very excited to have you all in her life. She was on a very bad path that if she continued would not have ended well. So I am very grateful to you all for the difference you have made to her."

"Well, I suppose that should be me," Kate said with a smile. "Or at least it shouldn't be Mr. Gonzales or Nanuet." She left the others in the parlor and hurried up the stairs to the room they had stolen Ruby out of earlier. "Ruby? Mr. Eastman? You're going to be late," she called, knocking on the door. Kate waits for a while and hears no answer. When she eventually opens the door she sees George Eastman lying on the floor. Ruby is not in sight. The window is open and hanging out are the bed sheets, knotted together with the other end of the sheets tied to the bed-rail. Lying on the floor beside the dresser are a white left shoe, a white right glove and a white ascot.

"Grandpere!" Kate shouted, and ran over to kneel next to George Eastman. She laid her fingers against his neck, checking to see whether he still lived. "Ruby's gone!" Mina heard the desperation in Katherine's voice and the concern on Gonzales face in return. With surprising speed for someone her age, Mina Parker runs up the stairs but she is still passed by the Indian Nanuet. Nanuet runs into the rooms and scans it quickly. Mina arrives behind him, pushes past Nanuet and over to Eastman. "Does he live Katherine?" She sees that he remains alive and there do not appear to be any puncture wounds on his neck although there is a red bruise on the side of his face. Kate says, "Yes, he's alive. But that bruise is going to nasty. He may need a doctor, but there's nothing I can do."

Nanuet wastes no time. He runs back down the stairs, calling to Maska as he does. He senses no response from Maska, who is still outside on the same side of the house that the bed-sheets went down from. Going to the window he sees the wolf lying the lawn. Nanuet knows instinctively that the wolf still lives, as he would have sensed it had the animal died. Nanuet cautiously makes his way across the yard to his companion and carefully assesses the wolf's injuries.

Kate looked at the items of clothing strewn about the room, then looked to see if Mr. Eastman had finished dressing. He was far enough along for her to know those clothes weren't his. Mr. Gonzales had arrived just a few steps behind Mina Parker. "I don't think those are Mr. Eastman's," Kate said, pointing out the clothes. "It must have been Turner. He wouldn't have left those accidentally." Mina hurries to the window and looks outside, looking for any clues she might find. "Look at this flower," she comments, "It's glowing slightly. That's a bit odd, no?"

Mina turns and says, "I think you are right Katherine. Why would he leave them here for us to find? Perhaps they are clues themselves, where we can find Ruby. Do you think he wants us to confront him?" Kate kept looking at the clothes, something tugging at her memory. "That doesn't seem his way. If he wanted that he could have come downstairs for us... How did he..." She lifted her hand to her throat and looked at the ascot, then at the shoe. Kate exclaims, "He was the gods damn dog! White throat, white front paw, white rear paw. He's been invited in, no one is safe in this house now. Maybe that's what he wanted us to know."

Mina's eyes grow dark and her lips form into a grim line. "The creature must have known Ruby's love of dogs from watching her in your Promise City." She comes over and kneels next to George, pushing some hair off his face. "Poor boy. Let's get him on the bed." Mina and Gonzales lift him gently off the floor and onto the bed, keeping his head raised. "It is good, he was not bitten." Mina stands and in a firm voice says, "We do not have much time. Surely he will not wait to try to turn Ruby. Do we have any idea where he might take her here? I know you all are just as new here as I."

Gonzales says, "Perhaps, but turning her takes three days and he would have to cart her body around that whole time. He could travel much quicker with her as his still-living slave." Kate says, "Yes, that makes sense. Nanuet has been behind him destroying all his hiding places. He may have intended to return to Promise City with her, he'd been taking steps to set himself up there. Now he may be forced to flee wherever the train took his coffin. Mr. Gonzales, can we use those clothes to find him? Since we're not in your workshop I know it's doubtful."

Gonzales replies, "I have only one more scry spell. I could use it now to find her present location but if they are moving that might not be helpful unless we could get to that spot before the spell ends. I also have one more transport spell, which could be used for that purpose but it might be better to use that to get her away from him instead." Kate replies, "You're right about that, which means we still have the challenge of finding them." She went over and looked at the rope of bed-sheets. "I suppose he would be strong enough to hold on to her and climb down at the same time." Kate started to pace, trying to think of the best way to find them quickly. "He must be staying close by, he was here during daylight. Shadows are safe enough for him, but to get here he would have had to travel through sunlight."

She stopped suddenly and leaned out the window, looking toward the house where they had industriously pretended to garden earlier. "Could he be there? At the neighbors while they're away?" Gonzales looks out the window at the neighbors house that they had used for their own morning kidnapping and says, "That would make sense. The puppy did not show up until the shade from this house covered the yard. In fact, the sun still hasn't completely set now, so they probably exited back that way as well, although at this point Ruby could have possibly shielded him from the direct sunlight."

Mina adds, "Isn't it possible he is still even in the house? Perhaps that is just a decoy, throwing the sheets out the window. We should also check the house just to be sure." Kate says, "Let's be quick then. We could be quicker splitting up, but if he's in the house no one should meet him alone. Check the upstairs, don't enter any rooms, just open door and look inside, then we can all see each other in the hallways. Once we're downstairs we'll send Alvina up to take care of Mr. Eastman."

Mina nods, then hurries to the upstairs. She starts with the room she had napped and dressed in and opens the door, checking inside. She continues to check each door quickly. Kate and Mr. Gonzales also check the other upstairs doors. Kate does it very quickly, not believing they are in the house, but making sure they aren't is best.

Nanuet has now checked Maska. The wolf appears to merely be asleep not far from where the makeshift sheet-ladder reaches the ground. Nanuet notes that several grains of a crystal powder are lying atop his skin as well as on the grass near him. Nanuet gathers as much of the crystal powder as he can quickly in his hand and then with his other hand he tries to wake Maska. The wolf companion awakens.

After they check all the rooms upstairs Mina says, "I will stay with the boy. Katherine, why don't you ask the servants to come upstairs? All this will probably come as a shock to them but we don't have time to coddle them." Mina sits on the bed next to George and looks him over again.
George appears to be uninjured aside from the bruise on the side of his face. As Mina holds him he begins to regain consciousness. Mina gently strokes his face. In a calming voice, much like Ruby's she says, "Don't try to move much Mr. Eastman. You're going to be alright but you should take it easy right now."

Kate nodded and ran down the stairs to the kitchen looking for Alvina. "We need you upstairs, with ice if you have it. How much have you heard of our discussions today? And don't worry, I don't mind if you heard everything." "Oh, we would never eavesdrop," Alvina states. Kate says, "What's happened won't make much sense to you then. Mr. Eastman's taken a blow to the head and Miss West was kidnapped from the room. We need you to come care for him so we can go after her." Alivina get Rosaire and William to come upstairs. Rosaire examines the injury and then casts a healing spell on Eastman, causing the bruise to fade. Eastman gives a very vivid description of what transpired until he was knocked out, describing Turner in intricate detail.

Kate looked over at the rose after Mr. Eastman finished his description. "I think we should take the rose with us. Aphrodite was obviously trying to warn them that something was wrong. Let us hope Diana is not a jealous goddess and that Aphrodite isn't angry with me," she said, and reached for the flower. "My, your job duties around here are vast," Mina comments to Rosaire. "Mr. Eastman is blessed to have found such caring and talented friends."

"Now we know what this creature looks like and that those here in the house are no longer safe. I would assume though that he will not return here but you should be on guard anyway. Let us go outside to Nanuet, and hope he has a way to track them. Otherwise we may have no choice but to use one of Manual's spells." She smiles as she looks to the rose in Katherine's hand, "That is of course only if the goddess Aphrodite does not show us the way first." Kate says, "As I said earlier, I think they're in the house next door. Turner couldn't have gone far in the daylight, and no one is there right now. Or Turner took their minds, one way or the other.”

The house manager William states "Mr. and Mrs. Collins are away visiting family down in Maryland. The only one who might be there now is their gardener and housekeeper, a German named Rolph Herrmann." Mina says, "That could be useful information, thank you. Take care of Mr. Eastman. Hopefully we'll return soon with Ruby." Kate says, “We will bring her back Mr. Eastman, have no fear." Kate looked to her teacher and they went downstairs. They all make their way downstairs and out back to Nanuet, finding him hovering over his wolf. With concern in her voice Mina asks, "Is everything alright with your friend?"

Nanuet says, "Yes, I believe he will be OK. I think something used magic to put him to sleep. What have you ascertained about the mess upstairs?" Nanuet listens to what information they were able to gather from the clues left behind and their knowledge. "Well, hopefully Maska and I can try and track them. I would think that even if she was under his spells that Ruby would either have to walk or that he would have to carry her." Nanuet begins looking for tracks near the bottom of the "rope" coming out of the bedroom window and Maska tries to pick up Ruby's scent.

Kate comments, "He's being careful about not killing here, probably since bodies would bring the authorities," Kate observed. She kept quite about her theory that they were next door, not wanting to influence what Nanuet found. "Crystal power, perhaps as the sand for a sleep spell." Gonzales says, "Belgium sands, an ancient sleep remedy." Nanuet is able to follow tracks of Ruby alone, no other, heading next door to the house that Kate and Gonzales had visited that morning. The tracks go around a break in the shrubbery, behind the carriage house, and to the back door of the house. It is a three-story brick design very similar to that of George Eastman's.

Mina says quietly, "Well, let's go. Everyone prepare yourselves, and may the gods watch over us."

Kate tucked the sands away in her spell components with a little self-satisfied smile as they reached the door to the house next door. She quite enjoyed being right. Mina comments, "I do have some spells that will be helpful," Mina whispers. "I can detect an undead creature but only for a limited amount of time. This seems like it might be the time. I can also help keep the creature from possessing someone, but it has to be before the possession actually occurs. If there was a way to break Ruby from the spell... I could cast it on her and prevent the creature from accessing her mind again. Does anyone know how we can accomplish that?" Kate says, "There is an elixir, but I don't have it, nor do I know how to create it," Kate whispered. "His destruction ends it.”

Nanuet tries the door. Kate watched as Nanuet tried the door, and comments “I can open the door if it's needed." Nanuet finds the door locked and is unable to open it. Gonzales uses his final spell of that type to open it. Mina says, "I am going to use a spell but I will have to concentrate. I should be able to detect if he is in the house and nearby." Mina utters the incantation and begins focusing on what is just beyond the doorway. Kate watched carefully to see how this spell was cast, then turned her attention to the inside of the room, looking for anything obviously out of place.

She detects that there is one powerful undead creature within the building and is able to determine that he appears to be on the middle of the second floor. She whispers, "He's here, on the second floor, right around where George's room is in his house. We should hurry, I doubt he's going to be unsurprised by our visit. I will be prepared with another spell but I am uncertain it will work, he is very powerful. Before we go, I am going to cast another spell. I believe Nanuet will be the most important of us in this battle, we need him to be able to use that arrow. This will help protect him from Turner's unwelcome influence." She again speaks an incantation.

Mina states, "Now we are ready." Kate says, "I have some spells that worked against a vampire in Thomaswell, and a few other tricks," Kate whispered. "Quiet as we can, everyone. Do whatever you can to get Nanuet a clean shot at him." Kate paused for a moment, then bent and pulled off her shoes, which tended to click when she walked. Once she was silent, she started carefully forward with the others. The group of Kate, Mina, Nanuet, Gonzales and Maska head quietly across the room and head towards the stairs to the second floor. The building is nicely furnished. It is currently dark as the shades and curtains have been pulled shut and even pinned back at places, blocking out almost all remaining light of the still setting sun.

Kate made sure to examine the windows carefully. Her little mirror was in her pocket, and she kept her eyes open for any mirrors in the home that would be small enough for her to carry easily. Turner had probably not chosen a room with western facing windows, but reflected light should work just as well. As they near the top of the steps they almost trip over a thin wire strung between the top landing rails around an-inch-and-a-half above the floor. The slow progress up the stairs suddenly stopped, and Kate leaned sideways to try to see why. Mr. Gonzales was gesturing, indicating a thin wire stretched across the top of the stairs. Kate listened carefully to see if the wire had set off any sounds and hitched up her skirts so she would be able to step over it.

They all carefully step over the wire, Nanuet alerting Maska as well. Once on the second floor hallway they see that the wire goes around the corner to a series of tin cans tied together, which would have clanged together had the wire been tripped. Kate had been worried about Turner knowing they were coming, but apparently even a Vampire Lord's senses weren't sensitive enough for him to just know they were coming. If they were lucky, Nanuet would have a chance to shoot before Turner even knew they were there. Kate put the wand in her hand with Aphrodite's rose.

Nanuet withdrew the blessed arrows from it's spot of safe keeping. He unslung his bow and was ready to take a shot if the opportunity arose. He continued in the direction that Mina had detected the undead presence. They arrive at the door to the room which was where the creature was felt. Gonzales reaches over to check the knob, finding the door locked. Kate stepped forward and mouthed silently to her teacher, "Let me." As quietly as she could she spoke the words that would magically unlock the door. The door unlocks.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Two-hundred-seventy-two, “Which way did they go?“, Wednesday, June 21st, 6:30 P.M.

Kate stepped to her place in the safety of the back of the group and gestured that she was ready. Nanuet steps towards the door, arrow readied. Mina gently places a hand on his shoulder, holding him back. She whispers very softly, almost prayer like, a final incantation before they enter the room. She mouths, "May the gods guide you friend." Mina steps to the side of the door against the wall, reaching for the door knob. When all are ready she quickly turns the knob and pushes the door open.

There is a man in the room, but he is not Colin Turner. He is a burly man in dark work clothes with well-worn boots. There is a bed in the room, but the man is seated atop a coffin sitting in the center of the floor. Nanuet recognizes the coffin as the same wood and workmanship as the four of Turner's that he and John Harbrace had destroyed earlier in the week. At the sight of the people at the doorway the man leaps behind the casket, using it for cover. His head, shoulders and arms then rise back up over the coffin lid, a shotgun in his hands. Uncertain if a sleep spell would work on the man, Kate cast a grease spell on the shotgun in his hands.

Mina throws a magic missile at the man with the shotgun, hoping to knock the gun out of his hands or at least throw his shot off before stepping away from the open door, moving five feet down the hallway. The missiles and grease spells both strike the shotgun simultaneously, causing it to fly from his grip and fall back against the wall. It still goes off, the shot striking a dresser cabinet in the room, obliterating two drawers and the clothing contained within. The man dives out from the casket and hurls himself towards the party. As he does so his face transforms slightly into a more inhuman shape and fangs now protrude from his mouth.

As soon as the man hops off the coffin, Nanuet immediately drops to the floor and scrambles forward as quickly as he can trying to reach the side of the coffin closest to him. He tucks the blessed arrows back in the quiver. As the creature dives, Manuel waves his arms and chants before tossing some powder toward the creature. For good measure, he includes whoever might be in the coffin in the spell as well. Once the gun goes off Mina moves back into the doorway, pausing slightly to look for fragmented pieces of dresser to use as a stake.

Kate backed away from the raging creature, more afraid than she'd wanted to admit. She lifted the wand and fired a charge at it. The creature ceases movement and collapses onto the floor. Gonzales states "That spell will only keep in that way for another eight minutes and likewise his coffin companion if it is occupied." Mina steps into the room as Nanuet stands. She picks up a couple of pieces of wood from the blasted dresser. She hands one to Nanuet, tucks one into the back of her skirt and the other in her hand. Nanuet steps towards the coffin and flings open the top, stake readied.

Kate followed the others into the room, surprised at how easily her teacher had stopped the creature. Sadly, she could tell that spell was still beyond her skill, but hopefully after today she wouldn't have to do this again anyway. As the others worked in the room, Kate kept watch in the hallway in case Turner was elsewhere in the house. The coffin is empty except for a few inches of dirt on the bottom. Nanuet asks Gonzales, "What happens if I stake the creature? Will the spell wear off?" "Alright, someone stake that one," Kate said, pointing at the collapsed vampire on the floor. "He know we're here now, we have to move fast. Let's search the rest of the upstairs."

Mina interjects, "If we have eight minutes, we should probably search the house first, as we might need this one to find out where Ruby is, if she isn't in the house. I only detected one powerful undead creature. It is possible my spell couldn't reach far enough though, I can easily cast another if we feel it's necessary." Kate says, "Let's search then, there's no time to argue about it." Nanuet stakes the unmoving creature and a speedy search is made of the remainder of the house, finding nobody else present.

Mina states, "We didn't find tracks coming out the back door, Nanuet, can you please check the front door for tracks?" Nanuet checks the front door. He also sends Maska to try to pick up Ruby's scent. Kate spent a few moments getting her shoes back on. There were a couple outbuildings here. If they'd gotten out of the area finding them could be next to impossible. Maska is able to detect that Ruby had walked from the front door to the street. The scent ends there. Kate exclaims, "Damn it, they must have gotten into a carriage. The train station perhaps?"

Mina sighs. "Any mistake now could cost us everything. The train station is the only place that makes sense at this point. We might have to use Manuel's spell soon." They head back next door to inform the others. While William is hitching up the carriage they describe the vampire slain to Alvina and Rosaire, who confirm that he matches the description of the groundskeeper who lived next door. George insists upon accompanying them on the next part of the journey, explaining how he will be able to get information from the people at the train depot rather quickly.

They ride to the train depot, arriving at around 7:30 PM. The sun has now left the sky although the last remnants of light can still be seen over the horizon. George leads the group to the Office of the Depot Manager. He explains to the manager on duty the need to find two people who may have departed within the last hour. The manager confirms that two trains had departed, one eastbound the other southbound. He offers to go get the rail yard employees who assisted with the train's departure to see if any of them recognize George's description of Ruby or Turner. Mina states, "Yes, please do that sir. It would be most appreciated."

Mina waits a moment after the manager leaves. "It seems we're on a wild goose chase. If they've gotten on a train, how we will have any idea where they've gotten off? Unless someone happens to remember selling them a ticket and where it was to. And then getting there before them..." For the first time since they've seen her, Mina Parker's mostly calm demeanor starts to crack as the desperateness of the situation starts getting to her. She asks, "Where would he be taking her?"

Kate says, "I don't know. Nanuet destroyed the sanctuaries he was leaving behind him, so he'll be forced to somewhere we don't know about." George soon returns along with the rail yard manager. George says, "We have some degree of luck, there were here about forty-five minutes ago. The ticket office clerk and rail yard workers were certain it was Ruby given her photograph prominently featured in the newspapers a few days ago. She and the man she was with, who matched Turner's description, bought tickets on the Eastbound train which left a half-hour ago."

The rail yard manager says, "The first scheduled stop is Syracuse, which they will reach in another forty-five minutes. They'll be driving through Seneca Falls Station in another five minutes. I can wire ahead and have them flag the train to a stop there if you would like me to. That's the only other train depot that is open in the evening hours between here and Syracuse." Mina thinks, What good is stopping the train there going to do? She says to the group, "I am unsure of what to do next. I imagine they would be gone by the time we arrived there ourselves." Nanuet ponders their dire situation. How could they possibly catch up to a train that was ahead of them. "How are we supposed to get to Syracuse ourselves?" he wonders out loud.

They are interrupted by one of the rail yard workers who says something to the manager. The manager tells George, "Mr. Eastman, you had also asked about casket-sized boxes. I've just been informed that an item matching that description was loaded upon the southbound train that left forty minutes ago. Two men helped load that crate and purchased tickets for the train, neither of whom match the description of the two individuals that you were asking about. The first scheduled stop for that train is Elmira, which they won't be at for another hour. It would now be around Dansville. I could wire ahead to either Bath or Corning if you wanted to have it stopped before Elmira."

Kate says, "Thank you, sir. Could we have a moment please?" The manager nodded and left the room as the group huddled together to talk quietly. "Mr. Gonzales is going to have to help us travel, which means we won't get back here tonight. In order to get to them we're going to have to get a look at them, which means leaving the station at least. I would prefer the train be stopped in Seneca Falls, it's smaller and we'd have a better chance. But we'd have to make that choice now."

Mina states, "And what will be our plan? Confront the creature there in the station?" She taps her lips a couple of times. "Seems we won't have a choice. We need to be there and ready with that arrow. It's the only way to end this and get Ruby back. Will we ask them to get everyone off the train? If they don't choose to exit we'd have to board and confront him there in front of the other passengers."

"Thus, the crux of the problem," Kate said. "There is one other possibility, and I don't like it, but it may be what we'll have to do. As long as they're traveling he cannot turn her. We can let them arrive at where they're going, and get a night's rest for ourselves. He will have to hide during the daylight. We could then come at him during the daylight hours in whatever room he is holed up in. If they are forced off the train at Seneca Falls they will have to hide there for the night or make way where Turner wasn't prepared to do it."

Kate's toe was tapping on the floor. "If they are forced off we might not have to wait until morning. I hate to have the authorities turned on them, for the sake of the police, but it would get Turner on the run. I don't know." Nanuet says, "There is another coffin that was sent out the night he arrived here, don't forget that. I don't know if it matters or not but it something to keep in mind. If we know where they will be forced to exit the train then at least we have a chance. I think that's our only choice. Get them to stop the train and then get to where they have to be and go from there. This is just a mess."

Kate replies, "I know Nanuet, I hate it too. Alright Mr. Eastman, have them stop the train. We need them to think everyone has to get off and the train isn't going any further tonight. If it's necessary I'll cover the costs for all the passengers to take another train tomorrow. Later on in the evening we can look in on them and travel to where they are. Hopefully they'll be alone and we can take care of this business. Once we go there we won't be able to leave." Mina says, “How will we travel there? You mentioned traveling with Manuel? What did you mean?"

Kate looked around to make sure the room was still private, and she still leaned over to whisper in Mrs. Parker's ear. "Instantaneous travel. Through the same skills you have." Mina states, "Ah, I wasn't certain." Mina ponders a few moments before letting her thoughts spill out quietly. "I'm not entirely sure how that travel works. Why don't we travel first to the place where the train will stop and try to follow them that way. If we lose them, then we can use Mr. Gonzales other spell. We might find an opportunity to confront him there, if not, we go by daylight."

Kate says, “"So get to where they are, rest for the night, and go after them in the morning? It has possibilities. We get there and find out where they are, perhaps those of us able to be disguised from him could follow and check out where they go. Then we can rest and regain our strength before dealing with the problem. We will have to look in on them from here though, or we won't know where to go. We need to see it first."

Mina interjects, "I don't understand how we will rest. If we get there before them and don't confront them, watch them and find out where they go and don't confront them, if we then go to rest Turner will still have all night to get ahead of us again. Perhaps I'm not understanding your plan?" Kate says, “"I was just trying to clarify to myself the second part of what you said. I was hoping there might be some way we could recover our strength before we had to face him, but you're right, we can't give Turner time to get ahead of us. I was also assuming Turner would hole up until tomorrow night, and assuming is never a good thing." Kate had to fight the urge to pace.

Regarding resting, Gonzales points out that the has with him the special magical tea of his Granddaughter Dorita that allows the person's body to feel as though they had rested for twice the amount of time of the actual resting. The party had last used this during the Town Festival in March in order to get an early morning start against Johnny Ringo.” Nanuet adds, “I don't think we can afford the luxury of allowing Turner to have the night to do with as he wishes. We need to get to Seneca Falls as quickly as possible. I don't know what is required to travel the way that you allude to but whenever we can do it with accuracy I think we should. We have to force Turner's moves, not give him a chance to regroup or rethink his next actions.”

Kate continues, "We get the train stopped at Seneca Falls. We go back to Mr. Eastman's house or some private place and see where they are, then get there and get Ruby back. Anything more complicated could fall apart at some point. The one thing we've all agreed on is that train has to stop at Seneca Falls. Would you take care of that please, Mr. Eastman?" Eastman gets the Yard Manager to send the telegram but then they get a reply back stating that the train had already gone through that station.

Kate didn't realize how tight her fist was balled until she felt something warm and wet trickling down her fingers. She lifted her hand and unclenched the fingers to see that she's pushed her fingernails into her palm. She took a couple deep breaths and wrapped her handkerchief around the palm. When they were again alone in the room she said, "Well, we talked ourselves out of one choice. Now I'd say we confirm they are on the train to Syracuse using the last scry, drink the tea, rest a few hours, and land at the Syracuse station before the train does."

Mina says, "My dear, the train will arrive in Syracuse in about thirty-five minutes or so. The rest of your plan is solid, we should scry now to confirm Ruby is on the train, then travel to Syracuse now. That will give us the advantage of investigating the station before they arrive. The only question is how to get them off the train. Let's figure that out when we get there." Kate says, "I'd forgotten, and I'm not terribly familiar with New York. Mr. Eastman, do we know where the train is going after Syracuse? We may all have to buy tickets there and get on the train, perhaps."

George replies, "Yes, it continues onward to Utica and then Albany." Kate says, "It's nice to know where we could end up. If they don't get off the train in Syracuse, we might have to get on it. Which might not be the worst idea. Then we could follow them off the train whenever they leave it." Gonzales says, "Okay, if I am going to do the transport spell I won't be able to bring all of us. I could manage the three smaller people and the wolf but Mr. Eastman will have to remain behind. I'll also need someplace to get a fire going in a metal brazier, but I don't think we will be able to do here in the manager's office without getting the whole place smoked up."

Nanuet scouts the area for a suitable place for Mr. Gonzalez to cast his spell. He also mentally calls to Maska so that she will be close by and ready to join them for the magical trip. Gonzales indicates he will also need some sort of a water basin, preferably circular and at least a foot in diameter to cast his scry spell into. Mina asks, "George, is there a park nearby? One that has birdbaths? We could use one of those for the basin. Plus at this hour there probably wouldn't be anyone in the park."

There is a park a few blocks away that the group heads over towards, finding a bird bath. It is getting dark but there are gaslights around the park providing some illumination. He states, "We should probably also get the fire going to get the brazier going in the event that we decide to leave now based upon the results of the scry. I will then begin the scry on Ruby now. Please note that the technical name for this version of the spell is Reflecting Pool, in that it is reflecting an image of somewhere else onto the water for our viewing. Thus, any creature that casts no reflection would also not be visible in the scry.

Once we determine Ruby’s safety and condition I will then pull up on the scry, viewing the train car then the entire train from above and continue to pull back until we can see the surrounding countryside. The train should now be above the eastern Finger Lakes so as I pull up you will see Lakes Cayuga and Seneca to the south and Port Oswego along Lake Ontario around twenty miles to the north.” Oddly, what crossed Kate's mind was that it had only been a little later the night before when they had looked in on Ruby and found out she was in Rochester.

Mina asks, "If you scry on Ruby and she's on the rain, will you still be able to transport us to the Syracuse train station?" He replies, "The spell starts on the individual and I can then shift around until it ceases. I would have to pull back and then zoom in on the train station ahead. Another possibility would be to transport us to somewhere on the train itself, although without tickets that could get us in trouble, plus there would be no way of assuring that a vampire was not present where we were going to if they are immune from detection."

Kate says, "I think we're better off going to the train station. If they don't get off we can buy tickets and board there." Kate was starting to sound tired. The energy that came with the earlier panic had left and been replaced with fatigue. Nanuet says, "I thought the idea was to force the train to stop and go no further, or is that no longer an option?" Nanuet's head swam with all the things that could go wrong with these plans. "I think we should get to the train station and if the train proceeds from there then we board it and find Ruby. What happens next, I have no idea."

Mina says, "I agree, to the train station. George, since we cannot take you with us, perhaps you can return to this station and have them disembark the passengers at Syracuse? Also, since we will have to take a train to return anyway and we don't know what condition Ruby will be in, maybe you want to get on the next train and meet us there? You never know if we might need your help. If we leave the station we could leave you a note where we have gone." George says, "The station office has a telegraph machine. Why don't I just plan on staying there until I hear from you."

Mina replies, "Good idea. We'll do that. Hopefully this will all go smoothly and the next time you see us we'll have Ruby safe and sound." She turns to Manual. "I suppose we're all ready. Let's go and get there before they do." He begins the spell.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter Two-hundred-seventy-three, “The Town Council Meeting“, Wednesday, June 21st, 1:30 P.M.

In Promise City, Arizona, a table has been set up on stage for the council, with three chairs facing the audience along the back of the table and two more chairs on each end. The council are seated in the rear and left side chairs with the right side chairs for Chester and Shaw. The first order of business is the election of chairman. Manuel Escobar is nominated as he had received the greatest number of votes but he eloquently differs to Burton Lumley, due to the man's experience as the President of the Merchant's Association. Lumley is unanimously elected. Chester leans over to Shaw and whispers, "What does the chairman do?" Chester leans over to Shaw and whispers, "What does the chairman do?" Chester nods and says, "OK. Thanks. I'm kinda new to all this."

The next item of business is to discuss income to run the town. Lumley suggests that the Merchant's Association dues be discontinued with the Town Council adopting a similar schedule to replace it, but to also extend the requirement to food and service businesses which were exempt from having to join the Merchant's Association. There is considerable discussion of this, but the conclusion is that as long as this dues schedule remain low then it should work for the ever growing town. Chester thinks, That'll be more fair, spreading out who pays the taxes. Can't imagine Jake will be happy with it, but if the schedule is low enough, it won't hurt too bad.

The next agenda item is the town's Fire Department. They invite Fire Marshall Jeff Mills up onto the stage to address the group. He outlines that based upon the previous fire the thing they need most are a second pump and more hoses. Emily was nodding unknowingly with the decision to get firefighting equipment quickly. "," she approached the main table and whispers into her Uncle’s ear "Everybody should have that, Everybody." He voices that sentiment to the table. The town council unanimously votes that they be purchased as soon as possible.

The next agenda item is the situation of the saloons being open late and disturbing other townspeople. Doctor Eaton speaks tactfully of how some places have been inconsiderate of others and the need for families with younger children to get the time to sleep. However, with three saloon owners on the council he is unable to get any agreement from them on putting limits on weekend hours, with them only agreeing to close windows and keep people inside after 11:00 PM on weeknights. Emily had noticed some of the noise late at night, but it wasn't any louder than Chicago, so it hadn't particularly bothered her. That was a lot of saloon owners on the council.

The next agenda item is the Promise City School. Doctor Eaton stands and makes an impassioned speech about how the human's only school was a mistake and how he is thankful for the Hoover School. He proposes that the Hoover School be town-sponsored rather than having to rely on the altruism of the Committee for Racial Equality. Burton Lumley says that he sees some of the teacher's present and would like their opinion. Chester raises an eyebrow when Dr. Eaton speaks and whispers to Shaw, “ It's a good idea. If the school is for every child, then the town should fund it. He's made a big turn-around in the past couple weeks.”

Mollie stood up, trying to think of what to say. "It's right that it's unfair to have five men supporting the education of most of the town's children. We'd be grateful for the support of the entire town, but it should be known that our methods aren't what you see in most schools. Our concern is to give the children a practical education that will prepare them for life out west. And if we're going to be the public school, it won't be long before we need more room. The building could be renovated to serve well, but then Mrs. Kale would need a new place to live."

Emery Shaw asks "Where is Mrs. Kale? We would like to hear from her." Emily looked at her Uncle as he inquired about Mrs. Kale and listened to the answer. At least it sounded like they didn't want to change how the school worked.

Mollie says, “She was called away on an emergency and had to travel unexpectedly. But I believe she had a conversation about this with Mr. Escobar yesterday." Manuel says, "I believe that she is not opposed to us moving in this direction. I say that between now and the next meeting we look into the economics of either building a new school or purchasing and renovating the current one." Lumley takes that as a motion and it carries unanimously.

Emily had been listening to the meeting, and was growing more and more confused. Finally, she leaned over to her Uncle and whispered, "If they will do the arguing about laws and money and such, what is your job?" Emery Shaw replies, "My job is to set the vision and direction for the council, and then to manage the daily operations of the town after that in compliance with the overall vision and scope."

She says, "Um... okay. So that means you're in charge of making sure what the council decides, happens?" He replies, "And more importantly, I am responsible for making unilateral decisions when immediate answers are needed to situations and there isn't the time to assemble the council." "Ahh," Emily said with an emphatic nod. "I knew there had to be something more to it. I'm glad they aren't going to change Mrs. Kale's school too much. As far as school goes it's not so bad. Although it won't be so nice with Nakomo going away."

When the meeting adjourns, Chester goes up to the Emery Shaw. "Mr. Mayor? Who handles hiring my deputies? The Merchants' Association did that in the past, but it seems like it would change with having a real government. Reason I'm asking is that I want Hank Hill to replace me. I'll need to replace Eduardo Rodriguez, but I haven't started looking."

Shaw replies, "You bring the names of people who you are nominating for Deputy positions to the Town Council and if at least three of the five council members agree they are approved for hire. You and I also each have the authority to deputize for the short-term without Council approval in the event of emergencies." Chester says, "That sounds good to me. Thanks. I'll put Hill's name in now to get things started." Chester shakes Shaw's hand.

Chester then finds Vera Blake. "Councilor? I want to hire Hank Hill as my deputy. Mayor Shaw says I need three yes votes from the council." Vera says, "I'll support you in any decision you want to make Deputy...I mean Marshal. You should have fairly free reign to run your area as you see fit. I feel we should only intervene if there are problems or complaints." Chester smiles at her misstep. "That's OK. I can barely believe it myself. I appreciate your support. Thanks." He looks at his pocket watch. "I better go. We still have some open cases."

Jake is still idly glancing through the old newspaper and nursing a whiskey when broad shouldered Bradford Rhinehardt enters through the front door. Rhinehardt's hands are tucked into the waistband of his black wool trousers. He stops his whistling and nods to Jake with a smile. "Harry," Jake calls out across the room, "this man looks thirsty. How about a beer for him." Jake raises a hand and with a pair of fingers indicates the chair next to his own. Rhinehardt deposits his stout form into the chair and places his hands on the table.

"The Lucky Lady is short one dealer." Jake says with a faint smile. "Know anyone who might be interested in filling the position?" "Yah, I believe that I may know somebody who could do that task," the man answers with a smile. He then adds, "Provided that my payment is more than just beer and wurst." "Heh. Since there are no plump young working ladies at the Lucky Lady we will have to make the balance of your compensation in cash." Jake chuckles. "Dealers give twenty percent of their winnings to the house and keep the rest. Up to you to tip the help as you see fit. Our former dealer worked six days with Mondays off. We can negotiate that if you like. The owners get first choice of nights." Jake explains the current schedule. "You have met the staff, they are stand up kind of folks. What do you think?"

Mr. Rhinehardt replies, "That sounds fair and reasonable Jake, you have yourself a dealer. I was impressed with the staff, particularly Miss. Peacock, she seemed to keep the tournament running like a well oiled machine. I assume that she manages this place for you." Jake says, "No. Darla wanted some nights off for her and her man, Michael George, who bartends here as well. They used to run a small saloon together. For now she handles the Faro table, and rather well it seems. If she wanted to do more, I would welcome it. The less I have to do the better."

Rhinehardt replies, "You should talk to her about it and make it financially worth her while. There's no reason she can't have an assistant manager for the nights she is off as long as she is here for the busier times." "I do have some partners that might care to have a say in it." Jake shrugs. He explains to his old friend Branford the situation, partners and potential new partner. "Once that settles out, I can see how they all feel about it and if they are interested we can approach Darla Peacock.”

Jake smiles and says, “Pick yourself an available room here if you care to, or find another place in town to stay. You need to be thinking about how to make yourself comfortable." Rhinehardt replies, "The room I had for the tournament will do quite nicely. So you pretty much have things divided into quarter-ownerships then? Seems pretty simple to me, each of you gives up one-percent of the profits to the manager, which will give her the incentive to make sure that the profits increase. Dang, sorry Jake, don't mean to tell you how to run your business. "

"I should have asked you to buy in instead of Harry Rote." Jake says in matter of fact manner with only a hint of sarcasm. Rhinehardt says, "Can't afford it, although you can let Miss Peacock know that I might be interested in that Assistant Manager's position." While they are talking Cornelius Van Horne enters the Lucky Lady and goes to the bar, ordering up three glasses of Kentucky Bourbon. “That," Jake points towards the bar and Van Horne, "is a man that needs assistance. Two drinks could be one for each hand, but three...." Jake smirks and then says slightly louder, "Can we offer you a seat?"

"Indeed," the large man replies, handing the other two glasses to each. "Can I take it that you will both we working together going forward?" Jake smiles. "Seems so." Van Horne replies, "Very well. I was thinking Mr. Cook, this particular establishment worked well for the tournament but doesn't really have the atmosphere that I prefer. Might you perhaps be willing to make some sort of trade, my five-percent ownership here for five-percent of the Palace Saloon instead?"

Jake stares at Van Horne for half a minute and strokes his chin, pretending to discern the hidden motive in the big Georgian's request. "I can agree to that. Once McCoy finishes refurbishing the place, we will make certain there are plenty of young ladies about for your visual or other pleasures. I expect to have some new talent from out of town as well."

Van Horne replies, "Excellent Mr. Cook. I also wanted to let you know that you are $ 2,000 richer as a result of the tournament due to your twenty-percent ownership of the Lucky Lady. I had refunded two of the entry fees, namely for Mr. Adair as he was unable to finish due to circumstances beyond his control and for Mr. Masterson as his elimination was largely due to Mrs. Enion's cheating and I didn't want him to have hard feelings about how things turned out. But for the other twenty-eight participants the entry fees totaled $ 82,250, less the $ 50,000 prize purses and expenses of approximately $ 12,250, for a total profit of $ 20,000 for the venture."

Jake says, "So the Lady's profit is ten thousand? Very nice. I know that all the staff involved was paid, and if experience is any indication you paid them well for their part. I would still suggest the Lucky Lady owners contribute a portion of that as a bonus to our employees that participated in the tournament. I would be happy to give ten percent." Van Horne replies, "An excellent suggestion. I've always felt that treating employees right was the way to go."

Jake says, "I will speak to Job about it. There is no one else around to make any decisions, so between us is enough." Al Brower enters the Lucky Lady with Madge Duprey on his arm in the company of Pierre Jaquet. "Now there is a sight that I was looking forward to see," Jake says loud enough for Brower to hear him. The trio does not approach after hearing Jake speak, he wonders if they are uncomfortable speaking in front of Van Horne and Rhinehardt. The young gambler excuses himself for a moment from his table companions and goes to greet Brower, Duprey and Jaquet.

He receives a warm welcome from the trio. Madge says to Jake, "A mutual friend has indicated that you had a part in my return." "Just a small one, hardly worth mentioning," he smirks, "I trust you will not hold it against me." She replies, "Not at all." Al Brower says, "She's not going back to the Gay Lady though, Madge is now the lead singer at the Comique." "Wonderful. I am very happy for you both. I much prefer your talents being used to steal customers for the Comique over the Gay Lady," Jake chuckles. "I am quite pleased this has all worked out. No more sneaking around for you two."

Madge says "No, Albert is all mine. And the trip away wasn't without reward in and of itself, although I did miss Al terribly." Jake presses his lips together to keep from snickering when Madge calls him Albert. "May I ask, what was rewarding about your travel?" She smiles and lowers her voice adding, "It was nice to be in a place where my hidden talents did not need to stay hidden. And Pierre was appreciative of some of the trinkets that I brought back to him." "Ah." Jake nods and says nothing more about that topic. "Good to have you back, Promise City is a brighter place for it. Though it will difficult to deal with Al always wearing that grin." Jake gives him a friendly poke.

Pierre catches Jake's attention and gestures him aside. "I had a chance to identify those bullets inside those weapons that you brought me. Of the ones that will fit your peacemaker, six are magical rounds that will improve accuracy by ten-percent and two others will induce sleep. Most of the remaining bullets were non-magical although there were two rifle rounds designed to improve accuracy by twenty-five percent. Jake says, "Would those rifle rounds work in my Spencer carbine? Too bad I never find anything for that Swiss rifle Shaw gave me. Beyond the rounds I can use is there enough left over to compensate you for your trouble?"

Pierre replies, "Yes, the rounds were made for a Spencer. Unfortunately you are unlikely to find rounds for your Swiss rifle outside of Switzerland as they rifles are generally not made or sold to civilians." "Yes, makes sense. Thanks. I will stop by your shop tomorrow." Jake buys them a drink and chats with them for a short while.

The evening wears on, just another night at the Lucky Lady dance hall and saloon. Jake chooses to drink lightly and retires earlier than usual.

Remove ads