D&D 5E BAM: Where's 5E??

Recent anecdote: I visited my local Chapters the other day, where the RPG section was usually clogged with 4E, PF, 3.5E rereleases, albeit with a much more obvious 5E presence than the OP reported at another store. On my most recent visit, the section had been thoroughly culled--all that remained stocked were 5E products, several 3.5E rereleases, and two copies of PF Advanced Class Guide.

I wasn't sure what to make of this. Bear in mind this change happened between December 24th to January 3rd, and I don't think there was a Boxing Day blowout. Did the store otherwise liquidate its stale supply of PF and 4E products? Any guesses?

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
I wasn't sure what to make of this. Bear in mind this change happened between December 24th to January 3rd, and I don't think there was a Boxing Day blowout. Did the store otherwise liquidate its stale supply of PF and 4E products? Any guesses?

30% off hardcovers. All of them that weren't already on sale. I got my DMG with a $50 giftcard a bit of cash.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I love my local Books A Million. Its the only book store in town, no FLGS at all (nearest is an hour away), but every single one of the employees, all the way to the GM, is a D&D player (my entire player base works there, to give you an idea). So, where's the D&D books?

Front table, New Arrivals, on display (John Grisham's new book is right next to the DMG). During Christmas, they sold completely out of the Starter Set, PHB and MM, and have only four DMGs left, last I heard.

Also, corporate did make one of the managers to run a bit of the starter set and sent out a mailer to Discount Card Members about it; actually had a decent turn out. Poor guy never ran D&D before. Might have been store specific, however.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
So, sorry to interject....does Barnes & Noble have DMGs now? If I go back should I be able to find one there or not?

Dungeoneer

First Post
Hey so as it happens I was in the neighborhood of my local BAM this weekend so I thought I would pop back in and see if there was a 5e endcap I had missed or something.

There was not, but the RPG shelf had at least gotten some love:

BAM rpg shelf reorg.jpg

Very nice, but wait! Where's D&D?!?

Well, it's gotten it's own shelf. Unfortunately, it's the bottom shelf!

BAM rpg shelf D&D.jpg

On the plus side the 5e DMG is face out. Which I believe answers [MENTION=92511]steeldragons[/MENTION] question.

Sigbjorn_86

First Post
I was at Barnes and Nobles last weekend, looking for the MM (which was supposedly on sale). The only D&D books on display were a handful of old 3rd and 4th edition books. All the 5e books were hidden behind the counter with the MTG products. Are 5e books a target for shoplifting?

Dungeoneer

First Post
I was at Barnes and Nobles last weekend, looking for the MM (which was supposedly on sale). The only D&D books on display were a handful of old 3rd and 4th edition books. All the 5e books were hidden behind the counter with the MTG products. Are 5e books a target for shoplifting?

LOL seems like they would be a little awkward to stuff down your pants.

Remove ads