• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Banewarrens & Help/Ideas for a Magic Item

Mik

First Post
First post for me - hello all!

Since your world is low- to mid- magic, why not make the chalice a historical symbol; one of the marks of office of the highest priests of the sect? Perhaps you could tie it to a prophecy...

Perhaps the chalice, lost for years, is a symbol of faith that is touched to the altar of every new cathedral in the land, or drinking from it in an ordainment ceremony is part of reaching the highest levels of power and influence in the church.

This great ceremonial office has been absent for the last couple of decades, as the last great unifying leader died in her old age. Without the chalice, no new Great Priest can be named.

Both history and prophecy state that no one of ill heart (incorrect alignment) or impious mind may drink from the chalice without perishing - the good shall drink from it only the wine of heaven; the ill shall drink from it only the filth of damnation...

Your villain may claim to be locating it so that an aging, well-respected cleric can be elevated to the position and rebuild the faith. Instead, he may be studying the chalice to make a false chalice that he can drink from safely to get through the ceremony, knowing that his goals are not in the best interests of the faith.

If he can complete the knock-off and become de-facto head of the church, he becomes a public figure with a great deal of respect, with the powers of all the obedient faithful at his command, and suddenly becomes very dangerous to challenge.

Just an idea. Might give you a point to run from.
=Mik

Xarlen

First Post
Perhaps the Chalice is a Key to something else.

Imagine pouring water into it, and making certain prayers to the God. With the correct prayers, the Chalice works like a clairvoyiance, or Scry, that allows it's viewer to find the location of a sacred place of great power, where it shows up in the reflection of the water.

It could lead to the tomb of some great man, the resting place of some evil being's remains, etc, etc.

Samothdm

First Post
A Follow-up Question

Thanks again for all of the great ideas.

I'm going to be doing something along the lines of this evil priest guy collecting/gathering religious artifacts/relics from his church. I read a review on the "Banewarrens" adventure by Monte Cook and I started thinking maybe I could work some of that into my storyline with this priest guy finding out about the existence of the Banewarrens and trying to "get all the goodies" contained therein. (I'm sure I'll have to modify it to fit my world).

Has anyone used that adventure? Does what I'm suggesting make sense and tie-in with the adventure? Any suggestions for little "hints" I can drop tonight to prepare them for starting that adventure in the next few play sessions? (I've yet to pick it up - I'll probably get it tonight on the way to the game session but won't have time to read it beforehand, obviously).

Thanks again.

Kyramus

First Post
(reads and reads and reads some more....)

Umm Chalice.....
Evil/ about to be evil priest.

Why don't you play the priest to be about to tilt over to the dark side, when the chalice is give over to him. He doesn't know that there is a sentient spirit within that takes over the Priest's will (moral delimma when the players try to kill him).

The spirit is a priest of an opposing god/ evil god. And as such, he masquerades still being a priest of this god.
To make it better, have the priest fake injury, and be outside the temple. No priest of an opposing god wants to stay within the divine presence of a good god.
Have him live at home, the pc's come to him and he points them to what he wants them to find. Each Item is another sliver of the dark soul of the evil priest. When all the pieces are together, he can either take over the priest body completely or cast raise dead/ ressurect on himself. :)

this could take a long line of adventures before the pc's figure it out. ALSO if the cleric has access to nondetection, have him use it a lot, even if he has to hire a wiz (maybe even a pc wiz). His reason is that he doesn't want the enemy to find him. hehehehe

Samothdm

First Post
Sorry for bumping this up. . .

. . . but I'm really curious if people think that I can link this story I'm working on with the Banewarrens. Ideally I'd like to know before my session tonight. Thanks!

Cedric

First Post
I would go for something simple...

Any true believer who says a pray to the deity while holding the chalice causes it to fill with water. No limit to how many times per day it can be emptied and refilled, the prayer is a standard action.

If a divine caster who worships the deity prays, the water counts as Holy Water.

Cedric

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads