D&D 5E Bank Security

ZenBear

Explorer
In what setting? Makes all the difference. An Eberron bank that was a brnach of House Kundarak would be a heck of a lot different then am underground bank for rebels and shadowy types not under the eye of the Sorcerer Kings in Dark Sun vs. a Dwarven Clan's bank in FR that's not open to non-dwarves.

Fair point. I’m usually thinking about Forgotten Realms, since that’s become the default setting for D&D.

Thanks for all the responses thus far, you have given me lots of great feedback!

rgoodbb

Adventurer
At the very least an Elf or Half-Elf 2nd-level Warlock as your floor manager

Darkvision, Magic Vision (always on), difficult to charm and cannot be put to sleep. Add in a Zone of Truth....zone from somewhere and you have a lot of cons covered. I like the idea of some Magic Mouth's used for something as well. Though not sure exactly what.

jgsugden

Legend
The best defense is a good offense. Having someone on the payroll that can hunt down the thieves, slay them, and recover the goods means you only need minimal defenses (mundane locks) to keep out the foolish. If it is well known that the local archmage is on payrol from the bank to hunt down and destroy thieves, few people will brave stealing from the bank.

MarkB

Legend
The best defense is a good offense. Having someone on the payroll that can hunt down the thieves, slay them, and recover the goods means you only need minimal defenses (mundane locks) to keep out the foolish. If it is well known that the local archmage is on payrol from the bank to hunt down and destroy thieves, few people will brave stealing from the bank.

But some will be foolish enough to try to frame people for stealing from the bank. :)

aco175

Legend
I think that FR was thrown back into a more Dark Ages feel for 5e. The Spellplague caused most static magic to fail and all the cool 'modern day' things failed as well. Hot plates, ice boxes, telephones and such that gave the world a bit fantastic were gone and people huddled in the larger cities until today when adventurers are needed once again.

I do not really see this as having or needing all the big spells and extraplanar beings just to protect money. I can see the buildings having no windows and having turns to prevent seeing into the vault to prevent teleporting, and maybe lead sheets or dust in the mortar but dragons and devils would scare the normal person from using it in the first place.

You could have a couple levels of banks where the top bank is known for having a knight order recover all goods and the lowest bank could be little more than a front for a thieves guild.

Remove ads