• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OSR Baptism of Fire RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jahydin

Hero
1714338004791.png

I just picked up RPGPundit's latest RPG, Baptism of Fire, because the quasi-historic Polish setting sounded cool, but was surprised and impressed with the use of AI/public domain art throughout. I was pretty "meh" on AI before, but seeing a 300+ page RPG jammed pack with colorful, faux-painted art has me pretty excited about the future of AI art, especially in Indie RPGs.

In fact, thanks to AI and open licenses, I think the barrier for entry has never been lower. Those that have a killer idea for a game, I think now is the time to go wild...

Curious of other's thoughts on the matter?

Some more examples:
BoF.png
BoF2.png
BoF4.png
BoF3.png

For those that are interested, here's the marketing blurb:
Baptism of Fire is an OSR RPG set in the dawn of the Polish monarchy in the early medieval period. It is a complete rulebook and setting. As a setting, it is “medieval authentic,” meaning that it is set in our own historical Earth rather than a fantasy world, but this is the world as the people living in the setting imagined and envisioned it. That is to say, religion, magic, and monsters all exist and function as the paradigm of the early medieval world imagined.

The default setting of Baptism of Fire is a society that is transforming from a Dark Age culture to an early Medieval culture. Poland, in the early 11th Century, was moving from a sedentary tribal system of “barbarians” to the beginnings of a feudal society united under a monarchy. As part of the process of successfully making this shift, the Piast rulers had introduced the unifying force of Christianity to the land.

The process of unifying disparate people into a single nation was predictably met with resistance. But the Piast dukes were clever enough to make good alliances, including with the more powerful Christian kingdoms that had risen up from the ruins of the Roman Empire. Christianity would help cement a common culture for many local tribes, smoothing over countless ancient divisions and rivalries and legitimizing the crown. But while Christianity had many progressive ideas that appealed to many people, there would nevertheless be a great many who would refuse to give up their age-old gods and heathen traditions without a fight.

All of this was taking place in a setting that was wild and magical. After the fall of Rome, the population of Europe had declined dramatically and failed to grow for five centuries. Monsters, fairies, demons, and dark magic ran wild outside of the safety of human cities. The Christianization of Poland was also the taming of that land, purifying it of the dangers of the dark wild and bringing the light of civilization and its accompanying stability and prosperity. In the standard Baptism of Fire campaign, the player characters are agents of that civilizing force.

Jahydin

Hero
I like medieval stuff—-how are the rules?
Just started flipping through it, but looks pretty similar to Lion and Dragon if you're familiar. B/X like, but with a low power curve similar to A Song of Ice and Fire or Witcher. For instance, HP is rolled only once at Lv 1, then it's just a flat bonus of +1 or +2 per LV. Doesn't look to use Vancian spellcasting either, but rather Spell Checks.

Once I get time to read through it this weekend I'll come back and fill in some more details!

Jahydin

Hero
Jahydin why do you always simp for the work of the worst people in our community?
Posting about games you enjoy or find interesting on an RPG forum is hardly "simping". I read/buy a lot of RPGs. Sometimes there's some in particular that really stand out to me and I want to talk about them. I jump online to see if there's any discussions happening. If there doesn't seem to be any, I start one here because I think EN World has the best userbase on the net and I value the opinions here.

As for why I choose "the worst", I certainly don't go out of my way, I promise. This RPG is currently Drive Thru's best selling RPG, so it's not like I had to do some serious digging to find it. As for the author, I only know he runs a right-wing forum (which is suppose to be apolitical?), writes quasi-historic B/X games, and was consulted for D&D 5E. If I'm missing anything, please feel free to vent. As you now though, I don't need to agree with people on a personal level to enjoy their books, games, movies, etc... I do have a soft-spot for underdogs though, so maybe that's a factor too?

Anyways, the main reason I wrote this is because I thought the AI art was pretty remarkable and made me reconsider if I would buy products that used it. A 300+ page book packed with full-color art produced by a small team for $11 is quite the achievement. Regardless how you feel about Pundit, I think this product demonstrates the future impact AI is going to have on RPGs going forward.

Also, for what it's worth, I've also written about games that aren't controversial too. They just seem to go unnoticed. Dante's Inferno for 5E, for example.

Nakana

Explorer
I’m impressed with how good AI art is getting. But I just can’t flip through a book admiring it the same way as human created art (even if it’s technically lower quality). It’s artificial. Which means for me it’s pointless even being in the book. Which also means for me the price is worthless therefore mostly a ripoff. I damn sure won’t pay much for artificial art.

The rules system is supposedly OSR compatible? I guess that’s neat. But is it just a clone or something truly unique?
¯\(ツ)

Gus L

Explorer
[...] I just picked up RPGPundit's latest RPG, Baptism of Fire, because the quasi-historic Polish setting sounded cool, but was surprised and impressed with the use of AI/public domain art throughout. I was pretty "meh" on AI before, but seeing a 300+ page RPG jammed pack with colorful, faux-painted art has me pretty excited about the future of AI art, especially in Indie RPGs. [...]
Ummm.
I looked at the sample...Not my thing and from a designer who has spent a decade earning my disrespect.

Seems like a typical Urbanski product: overwritten, derivative, bland aesthetically, and lurching toward the worst sorts of 1990's design excesses ... like busy fake parchment backgrounds. Interesting that he's chosen a "historical slavic" setting, which seems hot for his affinity group right now. I personally suspect promises of "real" medieval is also a dog whistle, but what do I know.

On the larger topic I am sure "AI" art (and I note that in this product the art is largely well known public domain art - the stuff that doesn't look like AI schlock was painted/drawn/engraved by folks like Ivan Bilibin), and without specific reference to K. Urbanski or this product -- algorithmic collage is a boon to only to shovelware creators. When I see a product using algorithmically generated IP theft for art I know I will never purchase it or read it. Might as well have a big label on the front that say "Made with Contempt for the Reader by Grifters!"

I get it that people don't think they can draw, don't know how, don't want to etc. I don't like my drawing very much, and it's a lot of work ... but I use it anyway. So the way I see it you have a few choices to illustrate your work that are all respectable. A) Hire/befriend artists. B) Use public domain art. C) Use whatever you can draw/collage/paint. I will note that the original hobby relied heavily on that last one. Look at the art in 1974 OD&D - you can do it.

Jahydin

Hero
I’m impressed with how good AI art is getting. But I just can’t flip through a book admiring it the same way as human created art (even if it’s technically lower quality). It’s artificial. Which means for me it’s pointless even being in the book. Which also means for me the price is worthless therefore mostly a ripoff. I damn sure won’t pay much for artificial art.
Harsh! Feel the same way about animation? Spiderman Across the Spider Verse for example?

The rules system is supposedly OSR compatible? I guess that’s neat. But is it just a clone or something truly unique?
¯\(ツ)
Compatible, in that you could pit a D&D giant against a party without needing to modify anything. That said, the difficulty of the fight will certainly not be the same between evenly leveled PCs!

BoF is not a clone; it's certainly unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads