Barbarian - Background/Theme or Class?

How would you like the barbarian implemented in 5E?

• There should be a barbarian background and a berserker theme - the should not be a barbarian class

Votes: 54 47.8%
  • The barbarian should be its own class with related backgrounds for other classes

Votes: 48 42.5%
  • Other - Explained in the thread

Votes: 11 9.7%

Ellington

First Post
Would you like to see the barbarian in 5E handled as a class, or would you like the theme of the barbarian stripped down into a theme and class? There's a number of points for each side.

As a background, you could have barbarian fighters, rogues, sorcerers, druids and whatever class you felt like. You'd get the training in the skills you'd expect a barbarian to have, and some neat background ability to give you the flavor of an uncivilized character, like Uncanny Dodge from previous editions or something similar. As for the theme, which would probably be called "Berserker", you'd get the archetypical rage abilities of the barbarian, usable for a multitude of classes. You could have a fighter, ranger or even a paladin that can go into a state of fury that would grant increased offensive combat abilities at the cost of your defense. The barbarian would be who you are, and not necessarily what you do. Not every barbarian would have to be a character who enters a rage on a regular basis, but it would reflect your primal background. For those that wanted the ability to rage, you could take a theme to do so.

As a class, you could have a well sculpted version of the archetypical barbarian, with rage abilities and some of the more primal utility stuff, but the upside would be picking themes and backgrounds to fluff out your character. You could be a barbarian with the slayer or lurker theme, and choose from various backgrounds that would probably make the barbarian a bit more "global". You could have a barbarian with the commoner background and the slayer theme, for example, to represent a character who's got a primal nature but civilized roots, for example. A barbarian wouldn't be where you were from or how you were raised, but something you were born with and the primal powers you'd have developed over time. You could also have backgrounds to serve other classes such as "primal" or "savage", but the rage ability would still be inherently the barbarian thing to do.

Personally, I'd prefer the background/theme approach. I'd like to be able to create characters that enter some sort of state of rage without having to take the barbarian class. A paladin entering a state of holy fury, a ranger embracing his bestial side or just a fighter that gets really, really angry! I'd also like to be able to create a character that has a barbarian background but is a bit more reserved than your typical enraged barbarian. A barbarian ranger sharpshooter who served as a tracker for his tribe, or the barbarian sorcerer who had mystical powers and lived as a hermit.

I know we've had a lot of "should this class be a class or a theme/background", such as for the paladin and the ranger, but I think the barbarian doesn't have enough of a niche over the fighter to warrant his own class. Please share your thoughts.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
The barbarian has never made sense to me as a class. Barbarians are a type of culture and upbringing. Why wouldn't a druid, ranger, shaman, fighter or any other character raised in the wilderness as part of a tribe be considered a barbarian? And what does going into a berserker rage have to do with being a barbarian anyway?

That, and barbarians really didn't have much of a niche. They were just fighters with d12 HD and rage. Rangers and Paladins at least had a great deal of distinguishing features, barbarians never did.

I think barbarians make much more sense as a background, and the concept of the raging fighter works better as a theme.

[Edit] If they do have a "barbarian" class, I really hope that they rename it to "berserker" or something else.

Last edited:

IanB

First Post
Prefer it as a class. As a theme it means that any barbarian character is going to come with the mechanical baggage of the base class, and it also means that you can't have for example a barbarian slayer. Make it a class, with some associated themes that other classes can use to make barbarian-like builds, and I think everyone is richer for it.

Gold Roger

First Post
The barbarian needs more than just the rage ability and some sort of raging should be available for every class (spellraging wizards ftw).

That said, when the question comes up wether a class that was in an initial PHB should be a background/theme or a class, I'll always vote class.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I'm a little biased perhaps-just having completed a substantial rewrite of the barbarian during my houserule consolidation project. Barbarian seems like a classic to D&D. It's hard for me to see the fighter accomodating the concept. Then again, I can definitely see the philosophical argument as to why "barbarian" is a background, not a career, and as to why the berserker is just part of the fighter and/or ranger.

I'm going to cop out and say both. Make a barbarian class, but also make a savage background, and a theme that includes berserk rage.

BobTheNob

First Post
Im for background + Bezerker theme.

That said, I just got through accepting that people really want ranger and paladin as a class. I dont necessarily agree, but I accept the concensus.

Now, if I accept that paladin and ranger are classes, how can I not accept the same for the barbarian?

john112364

First Post
I've actually always liked the barbarian class. I just hate the name of the class. Bezerker fits so much better. Barbarian is a type of society not a class. Change the name and I'm ok with the class.

Abstruse

Legend
Barbarians go into a rage which boosts their combat abilities. And that's kind of it. Unless the barbarian gets something that sets it apart from other combat classes (like in 4e with the Primal Melee Striker gig), it feels like a real waste to make it a class. One ability doesn't make a good class, no matter how much fluff you add to it. It would also be far more interesting to build a theme with a rage ability that could be applied to multiple classes. I'd love to see a battleraging wizard or rogue.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Ideally, Barbarian background and Berserker theme... or even subclass. All I really care about is that there shouldn't be a class called "Barbarian." It would be fine if the base Fighter was the "skilled, trained weapon combatant" and there was a subclass for the "unskilled, untrained, but powerful, melee fighter."

Just don't call it Barbarian.

Remove ads