• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Barbarian Rage Question

IndySteve

First Post
How many times per encounter may a Barbarian use his Rage ability? The Player's Handbook clearly states that they may only use Rage once per encounter. However, the Masters of the Wild FAQ implies otherwise: "A barbarian is fatigued only for the rest of the encounter after raging (a barbarian can rage again while fatigued, but the fatigue penalties stack with the rage bonuses)." He can rage again while fatigued, but he is only fatigued for the remainder of the encounter, thus he would have to be able to Rage more than once per encounter. Is there some errata I'm overlooking? Thanks for you help!

gfunk

First Post
There are other ways to be fatigued besides raging. For instance, sleeping in heavy armor will cause one to become fatigued. These penalties will stack with rage bonuses.

AGGEMAM

First Post
As many as he like or has !

Remember though that fatique penalties stack with rage bonuses.

Luckily fatique penalties do not stack with themselves.

IndySteve

First Post
I understand that there are other ways to get fatigued besides raging. However, it says you can rage <again> while fatigued (key word being 'again'), which implies that the Sage was referring to a Barbarian who had become fatigued due to rage. I have been allowing the Barbarian in my game to rage as much as he pleases per encounter, with stacking fatigue penalties of course, but I was just wondering if there was some kind of official ruling that I had missed somewhere. From the Sage's wording, it seems as though he is under the impression that they may rage more than once per encounter which contradicts the Player's Handbook. Anyway, thanks!

AGGEMAM

First Post
IndySteve said:
I understand that there are other ways to get fatigued besides raging. However, it says you can rage <again> while fatigued (key word being 'again'), which implies that the Sage was referring to a Barbarian who had become fatigued due to rage. I have been allowing the Barbarian in my game to rage as much as he pleases per encounter, with stacking fatigue penalties of course, but I was just wondering if there was some kind of official ruling that I had missed somewhere. From the Sage's wording, it seems as though he is under the impression that they may rage more than once per encounter which contradicts the Player's Handbook. Anyway, thanks!

From the SRD

Barbarian Rage: ...A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character's (newly improved) Constitution modifier. The barbarian may prematurely end the rage voluntarily. At the end of the rage, the barbarian is fatigued (–2 to Strength, –2 to Dexterity, can't charge or run) for the duration of that encounter (unless the barbarian is 20th level, when this limitation no longer applies). The barbarian can only fly into a rage once per encounter, and only a certain number of times per day (determined by level). Entering a rage takes no time itself, but the barbarian can only do it during his action.

Starting at 15th level, the barbarian's rage bonuses become +6 to Strength, +6 to Constitution, and a +3 morale bonus to Will saves. (The AC penalty remains at –2.)

Sorry for having missed this. Well only once per encounter it seems.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads