• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Barbarian / Sorc with 28 AC !

Murkmoldiev

First Post
1st level Human Barbarian / 1st level Draconic bloodline Sorcerer.

16 Con 16 Dex with a shield and no armor has 21 ac at 2nd level.
Then the party priest casts Shield of faith on him = 23 ac
In reaction to an attack he casts SHIELD on himself. + 5 AC
= 28 AC.

Your thoughts - RAD or what ! ?

drjones

Explorer
Not sure about that, Barb would have base ac 16, the sorc thing would also give you ac 16 so that is wasted overlap.

you can do the double shield thing for one round, but it costs 2 first level slots and takes up the clerics concentration so that seems balanced.

If you really want crazy def, have him take a doge action.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
1st level Human Barbarian / 1st level Draconic bloodline Sorcerer.

16 Con 16 Dex with a shield and no armor has 21 ac at 2nd level.

Well, you're wrong there, I think.

Barb gives you 10+DEX+CON+shield=18
Sorc gives you 13+DEX "when you aren't wearing armour"=16. Some DMs might let you have a shield, matching 18 for the barb.

In any case, they don't add (there's nothing to add), so AC=18

+2 Shield of Faith as long as a cleric is concentrating = 20
+5 if you cast a spell too = 25.

But close!

Rilak

First Post
Sorcerer: 13+DEX AC, Barbarian: 10+DEX+CON AC; choose one

Shield (item), Shield (spell), Shield of Faith, Bracers of Defense; choose one (they all boost +AC and you are only allowed the highest bonus)

So 16+5=21 is the most this character gets (at level 1).

Murkmoldiev

First Post
Thanks for the responses. This is helping clarify it.

How come the 13 AC scales dosent stack with the Barbarians Unarmored Defense ability ?
Do they hinder like armor ? Then I guess the Sorc can cast in them fine as they are like his skin...
But then if they are as unhindering as skin - as a barbarian as well as a Sorc why would he not be able to use his unarmored defense??

I cant see anywhere in the book is says it dosent stack ?

Also It seems that shield of Faith WILL stack will the Shield spell or an Worn Shield just fine.

I mean it IS a ridiculous use of two 1st level spells.

So 13 with scales Plus Dex Plus con = 19 plus a worn shield is 21 is correct.

As A DM I would be annoyed with the 2 spells boosting it to 28 but I cant see RAW preventing it.

I luckily dont play with spazes that will try to force the issue if I say no, so this is really a theoretical exercise. :)

Rilak

First Post
How come the 13 AC scales dosent stack with the Barbarians Unarmored Defense ability ?

It is the same reason Mage Armor does not stack with regular armor:
Mage Armor/Sorce ability: sets AC=13+DEX
Heavy Armor: sets AC=18 (note there is no DEX; DEX penalty does not apply)
Medium Armor: sets AC=15+min(2,DEX)
Barbarian: sets AC=10+DEX+CON
Monk: sets AC=10+DEX+WIS

So the Sorcerer ability changes the formula used to calculate AC. It does not add 3 anywhere. And you just use the best formula available to you as your AC.

Also It seems that shield of Faith WILL stack will the Shield spell or an Worn Shield just fine.

PHB p. 205 said:
same spell cast multiple times don't combine [...] the most potent effect such as the highest bonus applies
PHB p. 144 said:
You can benefit from only one shield at a time.

Juriel

First Post
I cant see anywhere in the book is says it dosent stack ?

Multiclassing rules. p164.

'If you already have the Unarmored Defense feature, you cannot get it from another class'

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
they all boost +AC and you are only allowed the highest bonus
Where does it say this?

How come the 13 AC scales dosent stack with the Barbarians Unarmored Defense ability ? ...I cant see anywhere in the book is says it dosent stack ?
They don't stack because they are different ways to calculate your AC, and you must choose which one to use.

BR08 Armor Class: Some spells and class features give you a different way to calculate your AC. If you have multiple features that give you different ways to calculate your AC, you choose which one to use.

Last edited:

Remove ads