Bard Versatile Performance

ruemere

Adventurer
Precisely. Even better: the skill list was changed, and so the old values became somewhat inaccurate.

IMHO, bumping all classes with 2 skill points/level to 4, making Intelligence skill point bonus one-time thing instead per level and introducing Well-Educated feat (see below) would do wonders for those who want to play more skilled characters.

Explanations follow:
- 4 skill points per level is sufficient to build moderately skilled character of any level
- Intelligence bonus being a fixed, one-time bonus would allow to quickly adjudicate total number of skill points, make quick adjustments for use of items improving Intelligence score (instead of rather awkward built-in skill stuff)
- (the above, continued) Wizards and other Intelligence based characters would stop lording over skill-oriented classes (Bards, Rogues)

Well-Educated
Prerequisites: Character must have spent several years in institution providing thorough education. Must be taken at 1st level.
Benefit: Gain 4 skill points. Gain one more skill point at 2nd level and every level thereafter.

Regards,
Ruemere

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Eventually, I really hope there will be. And I suspect the APG will start building upon making these differences different. Frankly, I would have LOVED to see each Perform skill get its own suite of abilities associated with it for the bard, like how the sorcerer got a bunch of bloodlines. But alas... bards aren't popular enough to justify giving them that much room in the book. (I'm just a LITTLE bitter about that... ;-))

Well, the Sorcerer became a much more popular choice with the new bloodline rules - at least in the groups I run with. Perhaps if the Bard were given similar treatment the same would happen . . .

I love the idea of making the perform skills more like the Sorcerer bloodlines - in function, not flavor of course. Rather than lumping them in with the skills, give each one a little space like the bloodlines and make them unique!

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Since the bard's iconic ability is his music, I think his abilities should be themed that way. Perhaps musical terms could provide inspiration. For example, a bard using (embodying?) Adagio could cause peaceful feelings or maybe slow a target (including himself via feather fall). Another bard with Nocturne could induce drowsiness or romantic feelings.

Bards working together could sing in Chorus to increase bardic music effects or could use Encore to restart a lapsed effect.

Jhaelen

First Post
Since the bard's iconic ability is his music, I think his abilities should be themed that way. Perhaps musical terms could provide inspiration. For example, a bard using (embodying?) Adagio could cause peaceful feelings or maybe slow a target (including himself via feather fall). Another bard with Nocturne could induce drowsiness or romantic feelings.
This reminds me of the Paragon class in the Guild Wars CRPG:
They resemble a mix of the 3e D&D Bard and Marshall classes and use 'Shouts', 'Chants', and 'Echoes' that get more powerful the more allies are near them.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Well, the Sorcerer became a much more popular choice with the new bloodline rules - at least in the groups I run with. Perhaps if the Bard were given similar treatment the same would happen . . .

I love the idea of making the perform skills more like the Sorcerer bloodlines - in function, not flavor of course. Rather than lumping them in with the skills, give each one a little space like the bloodlines and make them unique!
I really lie this idea for differentiating bards. :)

ruemere

Adventurer
This reminds me of the Paragon class in the Guild Wars CRPG:
They resemble a mix of the 3e D&D Bard and Marshall classes and use 'Shouts', 'Chants', and 'Echoes' that get more powerful the more allies are near them.

Heheh. If you ever need help in Guild Wars, whisper to my main (or add me to Friends): Ruemere Of Crimson.

Regards,
Ruemere

PS. To stay on topic: Bard is not necessarily a musician - he's a performer.

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
I'm working on an alternate Versatile Performer class feature that should be ready by Sunday, March 21. I talk a little about it here. I also talk about the Lone Ranger and a few other things, but trust me: There is talk of Versatile Performer at the link.

:)

PF_Noob

First Post
I think I might be dreaming here but did James Jacob actually say that we should get refunded for ranks spent in a skill that gets replaced by a Versatile Performance Perform skill?

Edit: Sorry for the thread Necro but I've been trying to find the answer to whether they get refunded cause I swear I saw it somewhere and I may have just found my glimmer of hope.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Yes, he did. And it seems a perfectly reasonable thing to do, otherwise the Bard just sort of gets screwed.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY don't like the sound of his suggested replacement for taking it out of your game, but on the other hand, since when did PF care about obsoleting Rogue anyway?

Remove ads