Bardic Music Help

BSF

Explorer
Saeviomagy said:
The problem with this example (and, indeed, ANY of these examples) is that it's too late.

DM: "You see some winged women approaching"

Bard, avoiding metagaming: "I get my bow out and drawn"

DM: "The women start up a sonic mind-affecting supernatural power. Your buddies walk off the cliff".

Bard: Damn.

That's the problem - the bard is unlikely to have it going before his opponent makes use of their power.

It CAN make a difference, in scenarios where the opponent repeatedly uses the power, or where it can be used after an effect, but before the consequences of the effect, but all too often you're already gone once the power works on you.

Personally I'd like to see a feat that allows a reactive countersong, which would make it all that more useful.

To be honest, I snarfed that from my DM. It was a tough encounter as there were 8 harpies. We prevailed, but it was a very close thing.

Yeah, I'm the one playing the bard.

BSF

Explorer
tarchon said:
No, it actually gives a new save against ongoing effects. It's only with the instantaneous effects that it's usless unless it's either running already or used reactively. Most mind-affecting sonic effects fall into the ongoing category. The sonic attacks are the ones where it's less like to be useful without preparation.

Oh, and in your example, the bard rolls bardic knowledge, remembers a tale about evil winged women with a seductive song, and starts the countersong anyway.

Or the bard gets some use out of the knowledge skills he could put skill points into.

In this case though, it didn't matter. The harpies were nested in a cave ~30' down the cliff. They got surprise on us. :(

Kalendraf

Explorer
Morrow said:
Feel free to post any other ideas about making the bard feel valuable

I've got bards in both campaigns I DM. One of the more interesting things I've used is a puzzle created by a famous bard that required the last stanza of song to be sung to reveal the secret. There were clues along the way that where I allowed the bard to make Bardic Knowledge checks and when the rolls were successful, I informed them parts of what they knew. One of those rolls was sufficient to result in me handing an entire ballad to the player, and the final clue prompted them to try singing it. Several verses later, viola!

Beyond that, the bards in both parties are always the first ones to try diplomatic negotiations, haggling with shopkeepers or gathering rumors. The amount of gold they save or turn up makes them well-respected party members.

Kalendraf

Explorer
Evilhalfling said:
I am now playing in a high level party (12th) with 6 PC's a bard would rocK!

That basically describes one of the parties I'm DM'ing. They have 7 characters and 2 of them are bards (one is an NPC). Characters are mostly 11th level. Between the monk (flurry), barbarian (orcish doubleaxe w/ twf feats), rogue & bard archers (rapid shot), druid (w/ dire lion pet) and cleric, they have a ton of attacks per round. The inspire courage song adds +2 to all their attacks and damage. It quickly adds up to dozens of extra damage per round.

So yes, having a bard in a large party definitely rocks. Having 2 may seem to overlap, and in the case of bard songs it does, but that just means the other bard can cast a spell while the other sings. Round 1 Haste & Round 1 Inspire Courage = even more attacks at a boost.

Remove ads