D&D 5E Bard's Instrument

trentonjoe

Explorer
How good are these in game play?

I haven't used one in 5E but darn, they look awesome. The Fochlucan Bandore allows the owner to cast eight (8) spells a day! One third level (FLy), two second level (levitate and invisibility), four firsts (entangle, protection from evil, faerie fire and speak with animals) and a cantrip (shillelagh); that's like instantly becoming a 5th level catser! All this for an uncommon item? Is it seriously mispriced or am I over reacting.

TheMadGent

First Post
The instruments of the bards are all very good, but they eat up an attunement slot, can only be used by one class, and typically grant a number of spells that aren't exactly going to see daily use. Plus all of them really need both hands to play, so they may be hard to use in combat.

Comparing the spells granted to an X-level spellcaster is kind of deceptive, because the powers are all locked to one daily use of specific spells, compared to the semi-spontaneous nature of all the 5e spellcasters.

vandaexpress

First Post
The DA on enemy saving throws to resist getting charmed is what got me to raise an eyebrow. I just (reluctantly) awarded the party's bard with a Doss Lute and am hoping I don't regret it. I agree that, in spite of the limitations, the uncommon bardic instruments seem a bit skewed in power compared to most other uncommons.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
All this for an uncommon item? Is it seriously mispriced or am I over reacting.

Magic items weren't designed with price in mind. They aren't balanced against each other. Rarity is very broad and often has more to do with world building than it does with power. (for example, the legendary sovereign glue and universal solvent)

Magic shops are not the assumption in 5e nor is there a prescribed wealth by level.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
How good are these in game play?

I haven't used one in 5E but darn, they look awesome. The Fochlucan Bandore allows the owner to cast eight (8) spells a day! One third level (FLy), two second level (levitate and invisibility), four firsts (entangle, protection from evil, faerie fire and speak with animals) and a cantrip (shillelagh); that's like instantly becoming a 5th level catser! All this for an uncommon item? Is it seriously mispriced or am I over reacting.
Wait, this magical instrument lets you cast shillelagh, right? Which lets you use a wooden weapon with an attack bonus? And the instrument is made out of wood? Hmmm...

elkabong2.jpg

Viridian

First Post
My bard recently acquired the Bandore, and the daily Shillelagh is my favorite part (although the D/A on charms is really the best part of any of the IotB). I love being able to beat people to death with my personality. I call it my swag stick.

Baumi

Adventurer
My Level 5 bard has the one with the Fly Spell. And while I love the Item for it's utility (Levitate and Fly .. oh my!) it has a few drawbacks that stops it from being overpowered.

* Nearly all Spells need Concentration. Combined with the Bard List where the best Spells are also Concentrations Spells, means that you can cast more per day and have a better selection but you cannot combine them for more power.

* You need to wield it. As a Valor Bard this is problematic in Combat.

* Many Spells are not that usefull or very limited. Cure Wounds sounds great, but you cast it once and only with minimum Level. Barkskin is useless in my group since everyone has higher AC (and it would need Concentration). Levitate and Fly have essentially the same use, the main use to have both is to use its utility twice (which is none the less a great thing). Invisibility is great, but you have to first use the Instrument to activate it, which is not the wisest thing if you want to Sneak ;)

All in all, they are great, but not as overpowered as the look at first glance.

Inoeex

First Post
I have a question regarding Instruments for Bards, why do we need them in the 1st place?

Do we need to play them to cast our spells ? cuz nowhere in the PHB E5 said anything like that.
The book just said Bards can use their Instruments as Focus Item.

We have to choose one casting style right?
For example I chose Verbal, it means that I cannot cast those spells who are not Verbal. Now as a Bard my Instruments give me extra advantage ? I can cast those non-Verbal spells with my Focus?

Remove ads