D&D 5E Bards Should Be Half-Casters in 5.5e/6e

Fun fact:
Bards got their 6th level spells before wizards or clerics advanced to 7th level spells in ADnD 2nd edition.

They had fewer slots however. And they had to put a precious 15 into charisma...
But they were not so much behind as you might expect. Especially if you use the optional class based experience bonuses for the bard class. Although as a rogue they would get 2xp per gp found... Which is usally more than 200xp per spell level cast.

So relegating bards to 3/4 would be possible. But within 5e it would be ill advised.

Joshy

Explorer
I intend to make a 1/2 caster bard like class that uses some form of auras. I haven't gotten around to it yet so I'm not sure how effective it would be.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
4e threw the very concept of the Bard as a jack of all trades in a fire, and 5e spread the ashes and gave it one feature that bore the name that has only to do with skills.

The Bard in the last two editions was NEVER meant to be the jack of all trades as you knew it from 2e and 3e.
That's not true at all, with one of their class features and a Feat, my 4e Bard was almost as good at his non-proficient skills as he was with his proficient skills. Now granted, the Bard had fewer "swing weapon at people" powers, though they did exist, but I was having too much fun kill stealing with Vicious Mockery to care. I could cast spells, heal allies, buff my friends, and make all the skill checks. If that's not versatility I don't no what is!

Fun fact:
Bards got their 6th level spells before wizards or clerics advanced to 7th level spells in ADnD 2nd edition.
That was because they used the rogue XP table and gained levels much faster. Their power maxed out at that point though, whereas wizards' just went on growing. And growing. And growing.

Last edited:

hat was because they used the rogue XP table and gained levels much faster. Their power maxed out at that point though, whereas wizards' just went on growing. And growing. And growing.

Yes... but as far as we were concerned, we usually retired our characters around that time (or even before that).

And up to that point, wizards were just behind and really short on hp usually.
Chances that a wizard made it this far were slim.
(My most powerful spellcaster was actually a bard/wizard class combination)

Yes... but as far as we were concerned, we usually retired our characters around that time (or even before that).

And up to that point, wizards were just behind and really short on hp usually.
Chances that a wizard made it this far were slim.
(My most powerful spellcaster was actually a bard/wizard class combination)
Played Baldur's Gate 2? If you are a bard you will feel real sad.

There are other casters that gained spells quickly, then capped out: druids, Black robed wizards of high sorcerery. They where good if the campaign ended early, but horrible if you kept on playing.

Played Baldur's Gate 2? If you are a bard you will feel real sad.

There are other casters that gained spells quickly, then capped out: druids, Black robed wizards of high sorcerery. They where good if the campaign ended early, but horrible if you kept on playing.

I would not compare computer game with a rpg, even if they use the same rules.

I don't consider level 12 in ADnD2e early... but that may vary from group to group. Which is why I was specifically talking about my experience.

Remove ads