WotC Bargle's Guide to Mystara

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Was there more lore with Bargle and Aleena than just the bit in the red box Basic book from BECMI, or is it just that that was so many people's introduction to the game that people remember it?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Was there more lore with Bargle and Aleena than just the bit in the red box Basic book from BECMI, or is it just that that was so many people's introduction to the game that people remember it?
There was more. Bargle is given some coverage in Mentzer's Expert Set, with him being an agent of Baron Ludwig von Hendricks of the Black Eagle Barony. This is expanded on in GAZ1 The Grand Duchy of Karameikos, with his background being fleshed out. The latter product also covers Aleena in some detail (and, if I remember correctly, portrays her as being alive, with a note about replacing her if the characters played through the Basic Set).

And of course, the final print issue of Dungeon magazine (#150) had its "Kill Bargle" homage adventure.

Please note my use of affiliate links in this post.

The Glen

Legend
If I remember correctly there were six adventures that featured Bargle, the vast majority in Dungeon magazine. One actually took the bold step of not making him the villain. He was still the evil, obnoxious misanthrope we know and love, but he was a red herring and wasn't responsible for the current misdeeds. One running gag with him was he was never drawn the same way twice. So there are half a dozen versions of him depending on the source. I chalk it up to his protection from continuity amulet.

Musing Mage

Pondering D&D stuff
A little while back, I stumbled across Small Niche Games' LLA006 The Shrine of Saint Aleena (affiliate link), which was one big love letter to her character. From the description:

hayes macarthur point finger GIF by Angie Tribeca

:eek::eek::eek:

And it's on special for 89 cents!

Must. Have.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I never understood the big deal about Bargle. He's dead. I mean, my fighter killed him during introductory adventure: he passed the saving throw versus spells and then he hit him. No more Bargle.

hopeless

Adventurer
I'm in if anyone needs an extra hand dealing with "The Infamous One"!

Does anyone know why drive thru rpg won't let me order a print copy of this?

Last edited:

A Guide to the Known World
Compiled by the Darokin Diplomatic Corps,
A wealth of information surpassed only by the collective coffers of the Republic's Great Merchant Houses

Prince Morphail's Taste of the Known World
A fascinating blood-stained Guide

Ka's Lore of Mystara
A Conservator's PoV

Last edited:

Remove ads