Barlgura Bangles!

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
Why does so much art depict the demon Barlgura, most summoned major demon, with bangles?

I mean, if it was the one guy, perhaps it's just his dress sense. But I understand that barlgura are effectively a species of demons. They all wear wrist jewelry?

Wiseblood

Adventurer
What do you do when you have six fingers on each hand? Wear a beautiful bracelet and hope people don’t look at your digits.

Unwise

Adventurer
I assume that they were signs of being bound to a master. They are symbolic of slave wrist cuffs, but the beasts know who is boss, so no chain is needed.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
I miss the hyphen (or is it dash? :unsure:) in the new version of the name... Barlgura just looks weird, all smashed up together. I know it's a matter of personal taste, but I still don't like it and feel it's one of those things that were changed for no reason whatsoever 🙁
Pronunciantion probably. Bar-lgura doesn't work well in English, while barlgura does. Bar-lgura would need to be "bar-le-gur-a", while barlgura is most likely "barl-gura" (barl like carl). Of course it is a demon so that might be pronounced Steve.

Perun

Mushroom
Pronunciantion probably. Bar-lgura doesn't work well in English, while barlgura does. Bar-lgura would need to be "bar-le-gur-a", while barlgura is most likely "barl-gura" (barl like carl).
Meh. I think the 'lg' combination is generally difficult, for most (I'll say indo-european, I'm not really familiar with other groups) languages. It doesn't roll easily off the tongue. But that's the point, IMO, it's a demon (tanar'ri 😜), their name for themselves probably wasn't meant to be pronounces by (demi-)human(oid) tongues, and it's just the approximation, even if it's slightly difficult to pronounce...

Of course it is a demon so that might be pronounced Steve.
These discussions always bring the infamous ghoti to mind 😄

Advertisement