Barrow of the Forgotten Story Hour - Complete! 8/13/08

Abciximab

Explorer
Recon Plan Alpha (And Bravo)

After an uneventful night the companions started to lay their plans.

Bootsy looked thoughtfully out the door toward the fortress. “We should recon first. See if there are any other ways in. I don’t like the idea of knocking on the main entrance. What resources do we have?”

Tristan pulled a dark object from his pack. “You know, we’ve never figured out what this spider figurine does. I found it way back in the cockroach tunnels. Could you take a look with your monocle?”

Bootsy brought out his eyepiece and sat down to study the black banded red jasper statuette.

“How much rope do we have? Could we climb to the top?” Frankie asked.

“We have plenty of rope but it would be a challenging climb,” answered Wencis.

The companions sat in quiet though for a short time.

Bootsy looked up from his work. “We should go in from the top and the answer to how is in this figurine. It will change into a large spider with the right command word, which I have just discerned. We can ride it to the top.”

The companions shared a surprised look and then started to gather their equipment.

----------​

Bootsy had been the first to the top. Over the next hour he thoroughly searched the stone parapet while the spider carried his companions up the face of the cliff. Once they were all gathered, the others confirmed his findings. There did not appear to be an entrance. Looking over the side they noted a few arrow slits.

Hopping on the spider and fastening the harness around him, Bootsy guided the spider over the edge. Looking carefully through each arrow slit he saw one appeared to be a study with a table covered in paperwork, while the other contained a bed. He guided the spider back to the top and told his companions what he saw.

Celtir looked thoughtful. “Well, I can petition Solonor for the ability to shape stone. That should get us all in through the arrow slit.”

Bootsy liked the sound of that and eagerly rubbed his hands together. “Great. Hop on the spider.”

“Uh, it… um… It’ll have to be tomorrow, I’ve already prayed for my spells today.”

Bootsy froze mid-rub. “Damn. Well we’ll just sleep up here then. We shouldn’t be bothered up here.”

----------​

“All right. Let’s try this again.” Bootsy summoned the spider once more.

Down at the arrow slit, Celtir murmured a prayer to Solonor and the stone seemed to melt away from around the arrow slit, making an opening big enough to enter, even the large spider could squeeze through.

One by one, the spider brought down the other companions.

They found themselves in a bedroom. A four poster bed with a thick mattress occupied the west wall, but what appeared to be a human sized nest of dried mud and bones sat on the floor beside it. A heavy wardrobe stood to the south, three sets of robes, similar in color and design to the uniforms the snake-men they fought outside had been wearing. A quick search turned up nothing of interest, though they did discover the only exit was locked.

Frankie took out his “key”, and with three strikes from his axe, the door fell to pieces.

The oddly shaped chamber beyond took up half the octagonal space of the tower. Stairs and landings spiraled upward and there was a set of double doors to the east. Another set of double doors next to the one they had broken down they knew must lead to the room that appeared to be a study. Bootsy tried the door but it was locked. Frankie raised his axe again.

Just as the door fell apart, the doors behind them opened revealing two snarling lizardfolk. Tristan charged one, his blade taking it through the chest. It lived just long enough for Celtir's arrow to pierce its throat. The other lizard slashed at Tristan with tooth and claw but he was suffered only minor injuries. Between Wencis’ hammer, Frankie's axe and a bolt from Bootsy, the other lizard died just as quickly as his companion.

Bootsy had returned to the room and cast Detect Magic to pick out items of interest when there was another disturbance, this time from above.

“Don’t let them catch me again!”

A human-sized draconic form landed next to Celtir, its scales a dull bronze, covered in old scars. Confused by its outcry Celtir hesitated a moment during which the dragon bit him, a few of its teeth finding the gaps in his armor.

Hearing a voice up above, Frankie glanced up to where the dragon had come from and saw another threat. Behind a railing at the top of the stairs was what appeared to be a human, but her snake-like features revealed her true heritage. Just as he moved to climb the stair she gestured toward him and a wave of drowsiness washed over him. He shrugged it off and ran up the stairs and slashed her with his axe. Right behind him was Wencis, who was able to launch his hammer, striking the woman a glancing blow.

Coming up behind the dragon, Bootsy was racking his brain trying to remember all he could about Bronze Dragons. They're supposed to be good, so something’s not right. Oh well. Now are they immune to fire or electricity, I forget… Striking the dragon with a Shocking Grasp quickly answered his question as the energy harmlessly washed over the creature.

Tristan charged the dragon and struck deep with his blade while Celtir stepped back and launched an arrow at the creature.

Taking exception to the Paladin, the dragon bit and raked at Tristan, scoring minor wounds with each attack.

Up above, Frankie and Wencis continued to strike at the woman, Wencis’ hammer blows all charged with electricity. Her ability to dodge the worst of their blows was all that was keeping her alive. Stepping away from the two, she cast and gestured toward Frankie again. Suddenly, this whole situation seemed hysterically funny to Frankie and he collapsed on the ground in fits of laughter.

Down below, Tristan and Celtir held the dragon's attention while Bootsy cast a sheet of flames over the creature. Its most serious wounds had come from Tristan’s blade and it was probably for that reason he was singled out for the dragon’s breath weapon. There was a sharp report as a bolt of lightning shot from the dragon’s maw and struck Tristan a glancing blow.

With Frankie still laughing on the floor, Wencis stepped up to the snake woman once more and slammed her with his charged hammer, dropping her to the ground. Even as she fell, attacks from Tristan, Celtir and another sheet of flames from Bootsy left the dragon horribly wounded. It quickly took wing, flying back up to the balcony, suffering a parting shot from Tristan as it retreated.

Bootsy ran from where he had been standing in the doorway of the study out into the hall. “Where’s it going, where is it!”

Swiping at the dragon with his hammer as it passed, Wencis saw it headed for one of what appeared to be a number of magical gates that lined the wall. Even knowing what was coming, Wencis didn’t hesitate to answer, “It’s here with me, Ten feet dead ahead!”

A small bead flew past him and hit the ceiling, detonating into a blossom of flame. An instant later, the flames dissipated and while Wencis was only slightly singed, the dragon lay dead.

Bootsy let out a sigh as Frankie’s magically induced laughter was finally ending. “By the gods, can we search the damned study now?”

End of Session 12.

Last edited:

Abciximab

Explorer
Session Notes.

Always expect the unexpected from your players. That’s rule number one as a DM.

No, I wasn’t trying to keep them from finding an alternate route, I just couldn’t find the entry for the top of the tower. It’s not on any of the color maps (but come to find out it does have a map in the back section of the mod), so I made something up. After the game, when I had time to look closer, I finally found it. Here I was expecting some combination of natural cavern/open air but the description of the top opens with describing rafters and beams??? (Which was why I missed it when I was skimming for it.) Why does the top of the tower have rafters? It is half covered by the cavern that was carved into the cliff face where the fortress is situated. Do these rafters support the top of the cliff?

In any event, I hadn’t planned for that method of entry, though it had crossed my mind at some point. How would they get up there? I thought they would be dissuaded by the risks of climbing and explore other (easier) options first. I had forgotten about the spider figurine. Good time to identify it though. :D

Guess I’ve been too busy putting up sheet rock.

I did feel bad for the Paladin. Here he was, charging across the open field on his new Celestial Dire Wolf Mount, coming to the rescue of a group of oppressed and tortured innocent souls (Paladins can wait their whole lives for a chance like this, “Fear not! I shall rescue you!”) and he gets snatched off the back of his mount by a Huge Snake. He then spends the entire encounter trying to break free of the snakes grasp. (“I’ll be right there! Just a Minute! If I can just… Argh!”)

Abciximab

Explorer
The Companions of the Barrow are on for tonight, ready to continue the assault on the Fortress. They're already whining because I've reminded them they haven't rested yet. One stoneshape, a few rooms, a couple monsters and these seventh level characters want to rest again.

Actually, that's not true. One thing these players do not do is whine. They get evil looks on their faces and plot their revenge. They are suspicious, since I had to remind them three times they haven't rested. I'm pretty sure they'll all walk through the door here with a twenty sided in hand ready to roll for initiative. :1: :melee:

Abciximab

Explorer
Flashback​

The two lizardfolk were startled by the sudden sound coming from behind the door where they stood guard.

“What is this noise?” Shillonok whispered as he pressed his ear to the door. There were three heavy blows and the sound of splintering wood.

“Could be the Lady and her dragon pet?” Kallist answered questioningly.

“Whatever it is they are the sounds of trouble. Better get help, just in case,” Shillonock answered as he turned and dashed down the stairs.

Listening carefully Kallist heard the sound again, once again three blows and there was the sound of breaking wood just as Shillonok returned.

“That was quick. Who will come?”

“I ran into Stamish at the bottom of the stair, he said he would bring the first patrol he could find and warn Elvarel that we may have intruders.”

“Should we wait?”

In answer, Shillonock flexed his clawed hands and bared his teeth and gave a low growl.

Thus they opened the doors and sealed their fate.

Abciximab

Explorer
The Assault Continues

Wencis cautiously approached the strange stone archways. All seven were filled with a brilliant green light that obscured whatever lay beyond. He was about to return to his companions who were still on the lower landing when a spine chilling howl filled the rooms. Immediately after, a large black hound and four winged snakes flew down from above. The dog bit at Wencis as it flew past him and one of the serpents spit venom toward his face as two others flew up and tried to bite him. Dodging the venom spray Wencis slammed the dog with his hammer.

Down below the last serpent flew down and sprayed the remaining companions with venom, catching Celtir right in the face. Struck blind by the venom, he cautiously moved to safety on the other side of the doors that led to the stairs.

Raising Merthuvial above his head, Tristan quickly charged across the room and slashed the serpent from the air. Hearing Wencis’ shouts from above, Bootsy moved to the bottom of the stairs where he saw the three remaining snakes and the dog harrying Wencis. A Scorching Ray burned the hound right out of the air. Wencis quickly dispatched another serpent as Celtir returned to the fight. Having wiped the burning venom from his eyes, his arrows dropped another serpent. Tristan reversed direction and ran up the stairs where he quickly killed the last of their opponents.

“So, how long have we been at this?” Wencis asked as everyone was catching their breath.

Bootsy gave it a moments thought, “About forty five minutes.”

“How is everybody doing?”

Everyone took stock and the consensus was clear. “We’re all good.”

Wencis examined one of the flashing archways. “It looks kind of like the portal that got us here. Should we go through?”

Celtir looked at the seven portals along the wall. “No. I think stepping blindly through one of these would be a bad idea. Let’s at least explore a little more first.”

The others agreed and seeing that there was little left of the tower to explore, the companions descended to the first landing and took the stairs there down to another set of double doors.

Celtir stepped up and opened the doors. Standing on the other side and seemingly reaching for the very same door were a mixed group of humanoids. First, reaching for the door was another of the small green lizardfolk they had fought at the top of these very stairs. Second there were three creatures with the unmistakable snakelike features that had been rounding up the slaves outside, Yuan-Ti Purebloods. Standing at the back of the group was what appeared to be a large serpent with arms. The Abomination rose to its full height and spoke in a hissing tongue. It pointed a finger at Celtir who gave a short cry as if in pain and then seemed to disappear as all of his equipment dropped to the ground where he had stood just a moment before. Then a small snake head poked out of the top of the pile and seemed to look around with what might pass for a shocked expression on its serpentine face. Celtir had been Polymorphed into a small snake. His companions stood only a moment in silent shock before attacking their foes in force.

A Fireball from Bootsy blossomed toward the back of the enemy party, dropping two of the Purebloods and singeing the small lizardman. The Abomination and the remaining Pureblood were unscathed. Wencis charged forward, killing the Pureblood with an electrically charged hammer strike. Tristan followed close behind, slashing the Abomination with Merthuvial. The lizardman fell back and launched an arrow at Wencis.

Bootsy fired a shot with his crossbow that glanced off the hide of the Abomination as Celtir slithered up the stairs to make sure he was not caught underfoot.

Wencis and Tristan both struck at the Abomination who returned as good as it got with its scimitar.

Seeing its only remaining ally engaged with two skilled fighters the lizardman started to back away, inching toward a ramp that would take him down to the entrance level. When the abomination was finally struck down by blows from Both Wencis and Tristan, it ran to the ramp and ducked around the corner out of sight of the companions. Bootsy moved to the bottom of the stairs and launched a Fireball at a point as close to that corner as he could and was gratified to hear the creature cry out.

Seeing this whole area was a balcony that overlooked the level below, Tristan ran to the railing and looked over. There he found himself meeting the hollow gaze of a huge skeletal lizard standing just below him. Shouting a challenge Tristan raised his sword above his head and prepared to jump over the railing, only to see a small blur zip past him and over the railing as Bootsy jumped over and dropped two vials of acid onto the undead creature’s skull. Following him over the railing Tristan’s blade bit deep into the creature as he dropped to the floor next to Bootsy. The creature reared up and attacked Tristan with tooth and claw, scoring deep wounds that bled freely. They both heard someone cry out and saw a figure behind the huge skeleton. A Half Elf in full plate raised a symbol above his head and a dark pulse filled their view. The negative energy burned their flesh even as it healed the undead creature before them.

Wencis ran to the railing and launched his hammer at the creature’s head over and over, electricity arcing from the hammer where it struck.

Sorely wounded, Tristan took a few steps back and called for his Celestial Dire Wolf, Moro. Bootsy focused his ire and scorched both the Half Elf and the skeleton with a Fireball. The Skeletal lizard attacked Bootsy but the quick Gnome’s dodging kept the wounds from being too serious.

Moro finally appeared and attacked the skeleton, his powerful jaws cracking bone. Tristan raised his holy symbol and called upon the power of his god, healing some of his wounds and those of his friends while the energy burned at the huge undead creature. Another negative burst from the Half Elf undid that healing and the attacks from the skeleton left Tristan all but dead on his feet. He retreated across the large hall to heal his wounds as the combined attacks from Wencis and Moro finally destroyed the Huge Skeleton. Bootsy Roasted the Half Elf with a Scorching Ray and Moro quickly leapt in and crushed the Half Elf’s throat in his jaws.

With no immediate threats the companions regrouped and healed as much as they could.
Pulling out a scroll, Bootsy called for the small serpent that was Celtir to be brought out. Casting from the scroll, he dispelled the powerful magic that had transformed Celtir into a snake.

Looking around, they found themselves in a great hall. Much of the chamber was open to the chamber above. Two large winches, their handles carved to resemble striking cobras, flanked a set of brass double doors that the companions assumed were the exterior doors. Across from the doors, clear water glinted within a circular marble pool.

Examining two doors on one side of the room the companions found a kitchen and a dining room that were empty except for the furniture, which Bootsy set on fire just for spite.

Celtir opened the only door on the opposite wall where they found things a little more interesting. The walls of the small rectangular chamber were covered in carvings. What first seemed to be a group of serpentine figures, revealed itself to be a single impossibly long snake with numerous heads along the length of its body. Near the west wall stood an altar slab of black marble atop an iron stand in the shape of a coiled cobra.

Standing behind the altar was a tall, broad-shouldered lizardman clad in green leather. His dusky scales were almost black and he stared at the companions with an unblinking eye. His clawed talons clenched the hilt of a spear, but he made no move to attack.

Tristan stole a quick glance over Celtir’s shoulder and whispered “Evil.”

Before he could say anything more, the remaining companions stormed the room. Wencis’ hammer pummeled the lizardman even as it was pierced by an arrow from Celtir. A bolt ticked off the wall next to the creature’s head as Moro leapt forward and tore out its throat.

Tristan stood silent for a moment. “Is it just me, or did it seem as though he had something he wanted to say to us?”

As he stepped over to inspect the body Bootsy just shrugged. “Guess we’ll never know.”

Gathering up what they found on his body they turned to the other door in the room. Opening it, they found a large open chamber that appeared to be an audience hall. A raised dais sat against the east wall, complete with a stone podium adorned with serpentine carvings.

Celtir started to move across the floor to inspect the podium when he disappeared through the floor. A pit had swung open, dropping him through the floor, and then the doors of the pit quickly closed once again.

Once again, after a moment staring at where Celtir had been just a moment ago, the companion s burst into a flurry of activity. As Wencis and Tristan found the edges of the trap door, Bootsy summoned a Celestial dog. Tying a rope around the animal, Wencis and Tristan held tight to the rope as Bootsy led the dog over the trap. As the animal fell through, they kept the line tight so the dog fell only a few feet and kept the trap door open.

“You ok down there!” Bootsy called.

About thirty feet down they could see Celtir standing in a small room. “Yeah, the stone floor broke my fall!” He called back.

Bootsy quickly lowered the end of the rope that was not tied to the dog and helped Tristan and Wencis hold the rope as Celtir climbed out. Once he was out, Bootsy dismissed the dog and the trap door swung shut.

A quick search revealed nothing of interest within the chamber.

They opened the double doors at the northern end of the chamber. Beyond the doors they found a chamber of horrors.

A rack and an iron maiden stood next to terrible contraptions of cables, needles and cuffs whose purpose the companions chose not to guess at. The floor was stained with dried blood. A red-black pool was spread around a rusty grate in the center of the floor.

Tied to the rack was a man, obviously one of the abducted slaves. His tormenters were one of the Yuan-Ti Abominations and a Halfblood female. As Tristan and his mount charged into the chamber, the Abomination cast and this time it was Tristan that was turned into a small snake. Angered by the loss of his friend, Moro charged forward and tore into the Abomination. Wencis also charged forward, hammering the creature with his electrically charged hammer. Bootsy cast and tried to strike the female with a Shocking Grasp, but the charge seemed to dissipate harmlessly as he touched her.

The female Halfblood’s skin seemed to ooze as her distended jaws bit Bootsy on the shoulder and he cried out in anger as he felt acid burn his flesh. Then the air around them came alive as Celtir prayed to Solonor and a storm of flashing energy appeared around both Yuan-Ti, burning them with its energy. The abomination was quickly killed by the combination of attacks from Wencis and Moro and the effects of the storm. With nothing else distracting them, the Halfblood soon followed.

As the others searched the room and released the prisoner, Celtir caught Tristan and gathered up his things.

Questioning the prisoner, they found out there were more prisoners held below, but they were guarded by a ghostly Yuan-Ti that enjoyed tormenting them.

“Well, we’re in no shape to help them at the moment,” observed Bootsy. “We’ll have to rest up. Back to the top of the tower has my vote.”

The others agreed and after showing the prisoner out the front door, they climbed back out and up to the top of the tower to rest.

End of Session Thirteen.

Last edited:

Peteinmaine

First Post
Of course...

It probably didn't help, that Bootsy and Tristan, went out drinking before the game...errrr uhm hey look over there (what's his touch AC?)

Abciximab

Explorer
Session Notes:

Yes, once again no Frankie. No, I did not come up with a not so subtle reason. I just excluded any mention of his character. We’ll assume he’s guarding the exit.

I don’t remember the last time I rolled so many 20’s. I rolled at least six of them, though I was only able to confirm two crits. Both against Tristan in one round. Almost immediately after I rolled two more 20’s against Wencis.

Roll: 20
Confirm: 5
{Switch Die)
Roll: 20
Confirm: 5

They’re doing well. I hope 3-4 more sessions to wrap it up (2-3 would be even better). Then it’ll be time for someone else (High Cleric) to take up the post of DM. He’s even mentioned something about back story or some such thing???

Remove ads