Barrow of the Forgotten Story Hour - Complete! 8/13/08

Abciximab

Explorer
Foreshadowing​

“Master, we have intruders.”

“What?” A voice hissed angrily.

“Patrols have found many dead, including Prath and his Pet. There are reports of a fire set in the dining hall and a large hole in the wall of the Tower of The Way.”

“Intruders?” The Master’s countenance grew thoughtful. “Intruders… Yes, find them. Find out if they are still within the fortress and if not, find out where they might be hiding. Find them and… Tell the patrol’s they are not to attack yet, come and tell me when they are found… Yes, this must be handled… Carefully.”

As his servant turned to leave The Master added, “…And tell Chavakuth to seal the hole.”

“My Master, Chavakuth is among the dead.”

“Really?” The Master almost smiled, but instead slowly started nodding. “Yes… Find them. Find them and keep me posted. Yes… This must be done… with great care…”

Abciximab

Explorer
Bootsy – 7th/1st Level Gnome Sorcerer/Fighter.
Celtir – 8th Level Elven Cleric.
Frankie – 7th Level Dwarven Barbarian.
Tristan – 7th Level Human Paladin (Currently in the form of a Tiny Viper).
Wencis – 7th Level Aasimar Incarnate.

Prison Break​

“There’s no activity in the village,” Wencis noted. “That can’t be a good sign.”

He turned as he heard the sounds of frustration coming from Celtir who was sitting with a tiny viper on the ground before him. The cleric shook his head, “The magic of the Yuan-Ti is powerful. The spell that has transformed Tristan resists my efforts to dispel it. I’ll have to try again tomorrow.”

Frankie returned from where he had looked over the wall. “More bad news. The hole we made in the side of the tower is gone.”

“Well, that was to be expected. There was no way our presence in the fortress could not have been noticed. We’ll just have to make another entryway,” said Bootsy. “The only question is where.”

After a short discussion, the companions decided there was no reason not to use the front door.

Once they had used the spider to climb down from the top of the tower, Celtir once again called on the power of his god to shape stone, warping the stone away from the hinges of the main doors to the fortress. The remaining companions readied themselves for what lay beyond. What was beyond the doors surprised them.

Bootsy stepped in. “No one? Guess they weren’t expecting this tactic. Where to from here?”

Celtir Pointed to a passageway that sloped downward, “The slave we released indicated there was a prison below. If the villagers have been rounded up, they may be there. We should make rescuing them a priority. As for the ghost the prisoner told us about, I have petitioned Solonor for the powers to assist us in destroying an incorporeal creature. I can empower one of our weapons with the ability to strike such creatures reliably. The only question is who gets it.”

The general consensus was that Frankie’s weapon was probably the best choice.

Upon reaching the bottom of the sloping passage, they saw rows of cell doors. Muffled moans and cries revealed the presence of multiple prisoners. Looking through the bars of the nearest cell doors, they saw a female Elf and a full blooded Orc looking back at them. Taking a set of keys they had found on the torturers they had slain, they were able to release the Elf.

As the companions spread out to find the remaining prisoners, the ghostly Yuan-Ti made his appearance.

Gliding silently out of one of the walls, the creature slashed at Frankie with ghostly tooth and claw. Frankie’s quick reflexes saved him and his companions quickly retaliated. Two Scorching Rays from Bootsy passed through the ghostly form, but a positive energy burst from Celtir, a hammer strike from Wencis and two slashes from Frankie’s axe quickly put an end to the ghostly tormenter of those imprisoned here. A subdued cheer went up from the prisoners as this news was spread.

Giving the keys to the Elf they had released, Celtir urged her to find and release the remaining prisoners as the companions continued to explore the rest of this level.

As they moved toward the western portion of the prison level, Bootsy raised a hand to stop his companions the moment the stench of rot assailed his nostrils. Looking ahead in the shadowy light, he saw a wide open pit in the floor. Waste water was oozing and dripping into the pit from grates in the stone ceiling above it.

Bootsy quickly cast and a fireball blossomed directly over the pit. When his companions looked at him questioningly he just shrugged. “If there is but one sure thing in this universe, it is that there is always something bad in the waste pit of any abode of evil and its name is Otyugh.”

Sure enough, as Celtir got too close trying to slip past it on one side, a long tentacle lashed out of the pit. The nimble elf quickly dodged aside and launched two arrows into the disgusting creature that rose from the garbage within the pit. The arrows struck in the center of the mass and sunk in to the beast all the way to the fletching. The creature let out a low moan and slumped back into the waste.

Bootsy scoffed, “How predictable.”

Moving into the western half of the dungeon, they entered a large chamber with doors on all sides. Quickly breaking through the locked doors they found a large store of supplies. Calling the prisoners over they armed them with the weapons and armor they found and gave them what food and other necessities they had found throughout the area.

Through one of the doors they found a meticulously clean room. On the shelf they found two pearls and a suit of scale armor made from overlapping layers of darkwood. They had seen a suit of armor just like this one on one of the statues in the Tomb of the Forgotten King. Using his staff and monocle Bootsy quickly discovered all three were magical and discerned their properties. The two Pearls of Power and the armor were given to Celtir.

With the released prisoners in tow the companions returned to the entryway of the keep, showed the prisoners the way out and continued up to the next level of the fortress.

Abciximab

Explorer
Fortress of the Yuan-Ti​

At the balcony level, a quick search of the areas they had not yet been to revealed a number of rooms that were obviously used as barracks for the common soldiers of the keep.

Continuing upward they found themselves in the largest room they had yet to find. The strange electric glow of two more of the portals cast light on the four massive columns that supported the ceiling of this chamber. To the east, multiple serpentine statues stood in niches along the north and south walls and the room was crossed by rows of massive pillars. In the center of the chamber stood a three tiered ziggurat of what appeared to be black marble. The air in the room was desert-dry and carried a foul scent. On either side of the ziggurat, a set of stairs led to the tops of two towers that stood within the massive chamber as well.

Wencis and Frankie moved to inspect the ziggurat as Celtir and Bootsy each climbed the steps to the two towers. As they approached, a palpable sense of dread seemed to radiate from the ziggurat. Seen up close, the structure’s black marble walls were shot through with veins of dark red and its surface glistened slightly. From the tops of the towers Bootsy and Celtir could see the top the ziggurat.

“There’s something small on top of it,” Celtir called down. “It’s small… Leather or cloth maybe?”

Bootsy squinted over the side of the low railing of his tower toward the top of the ziggurat. “They’re bracers, or Frankie’s mother is a Gnome.” Before Frankie could object, Bootsy looked down at the Dwarf and called out, “Sure as she’s a gods damned Dwarf! Is that better?”

Down below, Frankie looked to Wencis, shrugged his shoulders and both just shook their heads.

As the companions regrouped at the bottom of the ziggurat, they discussed options. Bootsy went so far as to touch the large structure. “It gives a little. Kind of feels… Fleshy. I don’t think I could climb it. ”

Bootsy was about to dig out his rope to try to snag the item up above, when Wencis made a suggestion. “I have the ability to shape my soul energy into sandals that would allow me to walk on the air for a short period of time. I could go up and get them that way.”

The companions looked at each other and then looked at Wencis. As one they burst out laughing. “Sandals?” Bootsy cried out between guffaws. “What the hell kind of Fairy-:):):):)ing magic do you use exactly?”

Wencis looked a little embarrassed. “Look, my abilities are gifted by the divine. I don’t choose their forms. I just utilize the powers to the best of my ability.”

As the laughter dropped to just snickering and giggling, Frankie patted him on the shoulder. “T’is true, your powers have been very useful and you have truly contributed to our successes. But I think our next quest should be one to find you a manlier source of power.”

Assuming the good natured ribbing and laughter was not going to stop anytime soon, Wencis quickly called upon his innate powers and rose into the air.

When he returned Bootsy stepped forward to examine his find. “Well, it would seem that these bracers were once magical, but whatever power they had has been drained from them somehow, by some power of the ziggurat perhaps. It breaks my heart to see such waste.”

Continuing upwards, the companions found themselves on a large balcony overlooking the area they had just left.

“Well, there are always those glowing portals,” suggested Wencis.

Bootsy shook his head, “Before we get too hasty, let’s reexamine some of the places we’ve been. We can start here.” Spreading out, the companions started to search the walls.

After about a half an hour of searching Bootsy finally found something of interest. “Over here! There’s a seam along the wall here. I bet it’s a secret door." A brief search revealed the opening mechanism and the door was quickly opened. The passageway beyond branched almost immediately. It sloped down to the east and apparently dead ended to the west.

Bootsy moved to the west, “I don’t buy that. Who would go through all the trouble to build a passage that goes nowhere?”

A quick search revealed another secret door.

The walls of the room beyond were covered with etched images of huge serpents feasting on entire castles and villages of terrified humanoids. Other than the frescoes there was only another of the crackling green portals and a set of stairs leading down.

Seeing nothing of interest within the room the companions started down the stairs. Not too far down, they came to a small landing where the stair continued down, just after a door set in the wall that would apparently allow entry to the center of the tower.

As they were about to move to inspect the doors a hooting shriek echoed throughout the stairwell. Coming up the stairs below, bouncing from wall to wall, came three corpse-pale baboons with burning eyes. Their fur was falling out in patches from taught flesh and their gaunt muzzles flashed jagged teeth as they attacked.

Bootsy was first to act and he burned the first two baboons with two Scorching Rays. The creatures quickly closed the distance and bit both Frankie and Bootsy. Both of the companions were weakened as negative energy flowed through them. A positive energy burst from Celtir burned at the flesh of the three baboons while simultaneously healing his injured companions. One of the creatures that had already been hit with the Scorching Ray collapsed into a pile of dust. Of the remaining two, one was killed by two quick axe blows from Frankie and the other fell to an electrically charged hammer thrown by Wencis.

Turning to the door, the companions found it locked. A few blows from Frankie were all it took to force the doors open. Beyond, chains suspended a coiled serpentine idol of polished brass from the ceiling of what must have been a religious sanctuary. Rows of cushions covered the floor in concentric circles surrounding the hanging idol as if worshipers were meant to look up at it in prayer.

Even as the companions took in the features of the room, two serpentine skeletons lurched toward them. From above, they heard a hissed incantation. A Yuan-Ti Pureblood clad in black robes edged with green serpents was perched atop the statue. A dark beam lanced down and sapped Frankie’s strength, leaving him exhausted. Only a moment later a small bead flew into the room and blossomed into a ball of fire just below the Yuan-Ti, burning him and the skeletons within the chamber.

Celtir quickly moved up and launched two arrows at the Yuan-Ti, dropping him from his perch on the idol. Axe blows from Frankie and a charged hammer from Wencis smashed into the skeleton who quickly returned the attacks, slashing with scimitars and biting at the two companions. A positive energy burst from Celtir quickly followed, burning at the skeletons and causing one of them to flee to the back of the room. With the Pureblood mage dead and one of the skeletons cowering, the companions quickly finished the undead creatures.

Gathering what they found on the dead Yuan-Ti, they continued down the stairs. Shortly they came to another landing, identical to the last. Once again the companions had to force the door open.

The companions were momentarily stunned by the horrors within. Foul art objects, demonic weapons, bloodstained bones, severed hands and standards bearing sigils of chaos and evil lined the walls on all sides. Along the far wall a number of prisoners, including Clora, stood manacled, their faces masks of terror and despair. Next to a stone slab in the center of the room, a female prisoner fought desperately against another human woman in hide armor and blood-hued ceremonial robes. The prisoner was unarmed but the cultist raised a rusted dagger. Once again one of their enemies suffered the terrible combination of Frankie’s axe and Wencis’ Hammer only to be fried by both of Bootsy’s Scorching Rays. She had barely had time to acknowledge their presence before she was struck down.

While the others gathered what they could, Bootsy approached the woman who had been wrestling with the cultist. “So you definitely are not one of the villagers. Who are you and what brings you here?”

“My name is Arzaezra. I am an explorer and adventurer who has come to this valley accidentally. I am more than ready to leave it.”

Satisfied with this simple explanation, the companions armed her and the slaves with what they could and then took the time to show them all the way out.

Once outside, as Arzaezra was walking away, Celtir felt something wiggle out of his pack and poke him on the back of the neck. He looked to see it was Tristan, still in the form of a tiny viper, that was poking him and motioning in the direction of Arzaezra. He called it to the attention of the others. “I wonder what’s got him all worked up?” None of them could figure it out, so they ignored him and Tristan eventually crawled back into the pack, a frustrated look on his serpentine face.

They returned to find a door at the bottom of the tower. Beyond they found a room very similar to the one at the top of the tower, though only half its size. Within they saw one of the stone archways that usually were lit with electrical activity, though this one was silent and showed only a stone filled archway.

At Wencis’ suggestion they returned to the two active portals they had found at the top of the fortress. After a short discussion, it was decided they would go through the southern gate.

Putting on one of the cultists robes Bootsy turned to his companions, “Give me a few seconds before you burst through. Let’s see if we can catch anyone on the other side off guard.”

When Bootsy passed through the portal he found he had been transported into an oddly shaped room that resembled a distended triangle. Five doors lined the walls and a large pit opened up in the middle of the floor. He also found himself next to a large hideous figure. The figure was humanoid from the waist up but serpentine below. Its body was a patchwork of scales and leathery skin – some dried and shriveled, some bloody and raw.

Rolling with a punch from the creature, Bootsy came to his feet about ten feet away. Now fully aware of the creature’s great strength, he carefully cast a Scorching Ray at the creature and was disappointed when he saw the flames wash over it harmlessly. A moment later, Frankie came through and was surprised when the creature punched him on the shoulder knocking him to the side. On his heels came Wencis who managed to dodge to the opposite side and then Celtir who tumbled past Frankie and was able to step away from the large creature.

The first thing they noticed was how tough the creature was. The one-two punch from Frankie’s axe and Wencis’ hammer barely left a scratch on the creature. Celtir's arrows also barely punctured the creatures flesh and Bootsy’s magic continued to wash over the creature harmlessly.

The companions shared a look that said, “We might be in trouble,” and then they got to work. Wencis and Frankie accepted the punishing blows from the creature, keeping it away from Celtir so he could use his bow, and away from Bootsy, who fell back to throwing oil at the creature. Only their skills were keeping them alive, rolling with the punches to lessen the impact. Trying to find a form of magic that might affect it, Bootsy noted, after casting Acid Arrow, that the creature was apparently healed by acid.

After almost a full minute of ducking, weaving and striking, the creature was finally starting to falter, but so were Frankie and Wencis. Celtir raised his holy symbol and called upon Solonor, healing everyone’s wounds. This was what saved the companions, Celtir’s ability to heal his companions while the large creature was unaffected by the positive burst. Finally, the amount of damage was too great and the creature was defeated.

End of Session 14.

Last edited:

Abciximab

Explorer
Session Notes:

Yeah, there was some metagaming. But really, putting an Otyugh in a garbage pit… That’s almost as bad as putting a secret door at the end of a dead end corridor with no other doors.

We have kind of a running joke about Aasimar looking effeminate. It started with my monk character from the last campaign and has continued on to this one. There is a reference to this early in the story hour when Bootsy is giving Wencis a potion and calls him “Lass”. When MundinIronhand (Wencis’ player) mentioned the sandals we couldn’t help but laugh about it.

The fight with the Scale Golem was long and the players were really working to try and figure out what might affect it. They finally nickel and dimed it enough to defeat it.

I mentioned Arzaezra’s background (Paladin of Slaughter) after they let her go and jokes were made about how agitated Tristan must have been in her presence.

Oh yeah, no Tristan this week. Off to Arizona? Is that what I heard?

Abciximab

Explorer
Delay of Game

Due to Real Life (Curses), our game has been delayed, so there will be no update this week. Hopefully we will be able to schedule a game for next week (If we could just settle on a day).

Since we have such short session I had been hoping we'd be able to schedule a marathon (marathon for us that is >2.5 hours) game for a saturday or sunday to finish up the campaign. We'll see if we can pull that one off.

Abciximab

Explorer
Bootsy – 7th/1st Level Gnome Sorcerer/Fighter.
Celtir – 8th Level Elven Cleric.
Frankie – 8th Level Dwarven Barbarian.
Tristan – 7th Level Human Paladin (Currently in the form of a Tiny Viper).
Wencis – 8th Level Aasimar Incarnate.

The Voice of Evil​

After the defeat of the scaled construct, the companions started to search the surrounding rooms. Two of the doors opened easily revealing small rooms, each outfitted with a bed, wardrobe and a writing desk. Finding the other two door locked the companions had to resort to Frankie’s “Key”. As he chopped into the first door, lightning filled the room leaving all the companions smoking where they stood.

Bootsy cast Detect Magic and gazed upon the door. “It still radiates magic. I would expect that’ll happen every time.”

Frankie inspected the amount of damage he had done to the door. “I think I can take a few more of those.”

Seeking cover in the rooms they had opened, the companions left Frankie to his work. After two more strikes and two more shocks the door finally collapsed inward. Beyond was a small chamber containing all manner of equipment, carefully ordered and labeled in a language the companions assumed was Yuan-Ti. A search of the room revealed a number of spell components, including some expensive jewels and powders. One large pouch contained a foul smelling purple powder.

“Looks very unusual,” Bootsy said as he sniffed at the powder in the bag. “I can’t place it, but I expect it might be a component for some strange spell or ritual. Might be for either evil or necromantic magic but my guess is some combination of both. We’d best hold onto it for now.”

Breaking down the last door they found what might have been taken for the living quarters of an ascetic or monk, were it not for the array of skulls bolted to the walls. Some were Human, some Elven, some Orcish and there were even a few Yuan-Ti. The skulls were meticulously clean but each was perforated by four round holes. In addition to the skulls, a flat wooden cot with a thin mattress served as a bed, while pegs on one wall took the place of a wardrobe. A search of the room revealed a small magical circlet.

Having explored all other options, the companions returned to the center of the entry room to look into the pit that occupied the middle of the room. It looked to be about ten feet deep with no interesting features. Just to be sure there was nothing more to it, Frankie jumped down. Celtir was about to follow when he noticed Frankie seemed to disappear through the floor of the pit and a moment later he heard a distant “Thud” and Frankie grunt. This was followed by Frankie’s voice shouting up that he was not alone, leaving the companions unsure if that meant he was in trouble.

Realizing the pit was an illusion, Celtir cast Wind Walk as Bootsy climbed onto his back. Once he was sure they were both prepared, Celtir stepped over the pit and started to descend.

Lowering themselves through the illusory floor of the pit, Celtir and Bootsy found themselves in the middle of some type of laboratory. The room’s most alarming feature was the gaunt humanoid figure with sickly purple skin and a face that was a mass of writhing tentacles. Next to it was a raging Yuan-Ti that was lifting a greataxe and preparing to charge.

Before they could react, a wave of mental energy washed over them. Through sheer force of will neither Bootsy nor Celtir were affected by it. Bootsy quickly leapt from Celtir’s back onto the floor and cast a Scorching Ray at each of the two creatures, but the fiery magic washed harmlessly over them both. A quick shot from Celtir missed the Squid faced creature as the Yuan-Ti charged forward and slashed at him with its axe. Everyone in the room was momentarily taken aback when a figure plummeted past them, through a hole in the floor and into the room below. Wencis had jumped down to lend his support. He rolled to his feet as he landed next to Frankie.

They were both standing in a room beneath the one where Bootsy and Celtir were fighting the Yuan-Ti and the Mind Flayer. This room was lined with book-filled shelves and contained a number of cushioned chairs. As they took this in they heard a low laugh from high up along one wall. Looking up they saw a Yuan-Ti Abomination on a narrow balcony, its massive form dwarfed the railing it was leaning upon. Its eyes gleamed with a fiendish light as it called out in a deep voice, “I was wondering when you would show up here. I believe we should talk.”

Last edited:

Abciximab

Explorer
Monologue-ing

In the room above, Bootsy was disappointed as he watched his magic fail once more against his enemies. The Yuan-Ti slashed at him with his axe and it was only Bootsy’s quickness and magical protections that saved his life.

The Mind Flayer turned his attention to Celtir. Celtir was about to attack once more, when all of a sudden he realized the Mind-Flayer was not an enemy. Seeing no way to stop the raging Yuan-Ti from attacking, but wanting to end the conflict, Celtir grabbed Bootsy and dragged him back over the hole in the floor. His magical Air Walk still active, Celtir controlled their descent to the room below where they landed next to Frankie and Wencis. Looking up to where the other two were facing he saw the massive Yuan-Ti on the balcony.

Looking up to the room above the Yuan-Ti called out in its hissing language, apparently calling off or dismissing the two in the room above. He then turned his attention once more to the four Companions of the Barrow.

“So, you have certainly made quite the mess on your way here, haven’t you? I am Zoldathra, Master of the Word. I have been a member of the Vanguard for decades. Until recently, I thought I was privy to the greatest secrets of my organization. I was wrong.”

Celtir stepped forward, “Who or what is Sertrous?”

“Ahhh, a good question and one I shall answer for you. Long before history was even a notion, a demon prince named Sertrous ruled brutally over one of the Infinite Layers of the Abyss. Ambitious and predatory even by Abyssal standards, Sertrous was among the first demons to take an interesting the developing races of the mortal world. Hoping to use their worship to ascend to true divinity, he planned to overthrow even the gods.

“It was not to be. Even as Sertrous began his ascent to divinity, he and a number of other ancient demons faced an uprising of their abyssal servitors. Those conspirators not banished to the depths of the plane were destroyed outright. Sertrous and some of his loyal minions were forced into the mortal world.

“Sertrous manifested as a serpentine entity with an insatiable appetite for living creatures. The Yuan-Ti and some feral humanoids were naturally drawn to the demon, to his strength. The weak were consumed in the name of his hunger. However Sertrous granted a tiny measure of his own power to a handful of the worthy, using them to explore this strange new plane.

“As civilization grew and the worship of the weaker deities spread, Sertrous fell into an endless slumber. So potent had he become, however, that even asleep he observed the mortal world. His anger-filled dreams drove Sertrous to an unearthly transformation – a manifestation of the Abyss and the Material Plane, equally bound to both.

The cult that had formed around Sertrous, now called The Slumbering Serpent, split in two. One faction continued to worship the sleeping demon lord as a demigod, while the other was driven by those Sertrous touched in dreams – infected by the demon lord’s desire to see the world thrown down and consumed.

“Our current leader, Sulvagren is one of the latter. Driven by his dreams of madness, he wishes to complete the Sacrament of the Risen Abyss to bring forth a creature not intent to rule the world, but to destroy it.

“I believe that one day, Sertrous will rise and the Vanguard will rule in his name, but this travesty envisioned by the Vanguard’s current leader must be stopped. I dare not move against my leaders directly, but perhaps you can achieve what I cannot.”

Celtir thought for a moment as the companions shared a dubious look, “What is it you ask of us?”

“The Sacrament began a week ago, but the Vanguard is still gathering components to use in the rite. There are portals in the tower of the way, the tower you initially entered, that are attuned to destinations where some of these components can be found. If you use them, and get to the components first, the creature they are calling may be weakened.”

“Weakened? Can this rite not be stopped?”

No, it is too late to stop it completely. Too many of the components have been assembled. Your only hope lies in thwarting the collection of the last relics necessary for the rites and in harrying the so-called leaders of the Vanguard as they seek to complete their plans.”

“What are these relics you speak of?”

“There are four remaining. You would seek the phylactery of a lich, the king’s scepter, the blood of a race of fey and a stone tablet that was touched by Sertrous himself.”

“A moment please while I speak with my companions.” Celtir turned to the others and they whispered back and forth for a moment. Once the discussion was complete Celtir turned to Zoldathra once again. “What must we do to accomplish this?”

Abciximab

Explorer
On a Mission – Part I

Having agreed to the task and taking the time to rest and heal, the companions finally returned to the Tower of the Way. Having been instructed in their use they moved to the portals. Wencis turned to the others, “Which one first?”

A brief discussion and it was settled – the Lich’s phylactery.

Stepping through the appropriate portal, they found themselves in a swamp. Small islets of dry land rose from murky water in spots. Cypress trees moss-heavy branches over their heads and the scent of greenery and decay was almost overwhelming.

In the distance, crumbling walls of stone rose from the waters. Most stood some ten feet in height, though the southwest corner and a narrow chimney to the east were taller. These appeared to be the remains of an old keep, lost now to the swamp.

Ahead of them a serpentine form coiled and uncoiled within the cover of a large cypress tree. Its humanoid head watched in the direction of the ruins. Amid the crumbling walls, also crouching for cover, they saw a green skinned woman of hideous visage. Almost simultaneously the two creatures noticed the companions.

As Frankie and Wencis moved toward the green skinned hag, a glowing bead flew from the Naga and the resulting Fireball engulfed the Hag as well as the two companions. Celtir fired his bow at the Naga, as Bootsy ran into the muck to close the distance between himself and the creature.

The battlefield was quickly covered with balls and rays of fire, lightning bolts and magic missiles from Bootsy, the Hag and the Naga. Celtir continued to target the Naga with his bow Frankie and Wencis closed with the Hag, striking and slashing at her when they had the chance. They both were engulfed by the Fireballs and other spells that were targeted upon the hag by the Naga.

Having suffered wounds from both Frankie and Wencis the Hag cast a quick spell and disappeared, reappearing a short distance away, behind a cypress tree. A burst of Magic Missiles from the Hag dropped Wencis to the ground. Celtir quickly ran over and healed his wounds as Frankie charged the Hag and finally was able to strike her down. As Bootsy summoned forth an Acid Arrow that burned the Naga’s Flesh, the others moved to close with the serpent. Celtir prayers to Solonor were answered in the form of an energy filled storm that burned at the flesh of the creature. Between the continuing effects of the storm and the burning acid, the Naga quickly fell.

Searching the area, they found little of value, though they did locate a small jeweled box on the Hag that they believed was the object of their quest. The companions quickly returned through the portal.

After another quick discussion wherein Wencis pointed out the fact that living creatures may be in danger, they decided to check on the Fey.

Stepping through the portal they found themselves in a sunlit glade of deep green. Great trees towered above them and the smell of growing things filled the air. From ahead, they heard the sound of falling water.

Celtir looked about, sniffed the air and knew right away, “We’re too late.” Over it all he could detect the faint coppery smell of blood on the faint breeze. The companions moved forward.

The forest opened up to reveal a small inlet on the shore of a lake. A narrow waterfall plummeted from a tree filed hill into a grotto lined with glistening stones. Where the water churned into a white froth, a number of corpses floated face down and others were scattered along the banks.

Over the roar of the water Celtir heard a sound, like a faint whisper. A gentle voice that seemed to emanate from the water fall was calling his name. As he stepped into the water, the shimmering mist of the falls suddenly took the shape of a woman’s face. Her features marked her as one of the Fey, but her eyes were glazed over with sadness.

“I fear you are too late to aid us,” she whispered into his mind, “Yet you have the chance to avenge us.”

Standing there in the water, Celtir knew he had received the blessing of the Fey.

----------​

Having returned through the portal, the companions had decided the king’s scepter would be next.

The air where they arrived was warm and the ground was dusty. High cliffs stretched in either direction all the way to the horizon. Two sharp ravines cut through them forming narrow valleys. Only scattered foliage broke the monotonous view of the landscape.

Stepping into the ravine to their right, the companions felt a dry wind whipping through it that shrouded the echo of their footsteps and the calls of distant birds. Coming around a corner they were confronted with a reptilian creature covered in rust-red scales with horns on it head. It had a massive mace in one hand and a shield in the other, its two pronged tail twitched as tough with a mind of its own.

Frankie charged foreword, slashing at the creature with his axe with Wencis close behind striking the creature with his hammer. A sparkling ray shot from Bootsy’s hand striking the creature square in the chest and it seemed to sag as if weakened. Celtir cast Air Walk and climbed into the air. With a speed that astonished the companions, the creature turned on Frankie and quickly smashed him three times with his mace, gored him with its horns and slashed him with its tail. Frankie’s magical armor absorbed much of the impact but the creature left him bloodied. He quickly answered the creatures blow’s with two of his own as his companions gave the creature all they had. An Acid Arrow from Bootsy, two arrows from Celtir and Wencis’ hammer all slammed into the great creature but it seemed undaunted as it pummeled Frankie again with another series of attacks. Knowing he would not stand against another of this creature’s devastating attacks, Frankie carefully fell back. Luckily the attacks from his companions dropped the creature where it stood.

As Celtir lowered himself back to the ground he hurried over to where Frankie was to heal some of his more grievous wounds. As they turned to continue on their way down the ravine, another one of the creatures appeared, squeezing out from a narrow space in the rock.

Once again Frankie fearlessly charged forward and Bootsy fired another Enfeebling ray at the creature. Wencis’ Hammer and two arrows from Celtir followed close behind. Frankie was subjected to another round of attacks from this creature, once again leaving him bloodied. Frankie stood his ground, slashing back at the creature with his axe as an Acid Arrow from Bootsy burned at the creatures flesh. Wencis slammed at the creature with his electrically charged hammer and Celtir petitioned Solonor for another of his Holy Storms. Though both Frankie and Wencis suffered from the creature’s attacks, the companions were able to dispatch it quickly.

Celtir once again offered a bout of healing and soon the companions were ready to advance through the ravine once more.

End of Session 15.

Abciximab

Explorer
Session Notes:

Things moved pretty quickly this session, worked through quite a bit. Yay!

Tristan was absent again. Doh!

A lot of spells flying and a lot of damage dealt by all (opponents included). Yay! (Doh!)

We have a marathon session planned to wrap up the trilogy. Yay!

Tristan will miss the endgame. Doh!

Yes, we’re quickly working up to the climax which will take place this coming Sunday, August 10th. We will have a long session (6 hours compared to the usual 2.5) that should wrap up the campaign and this story hour. I hope to bring these characters back someday to continue their adventuring careers (Barring TPK), but for now we’ll be switching to High Clerics campaign.

I’m very interested to see how they do in the last encounter. I will say this, I’m running the last encounter as is. We’ll see how it goes. We’ll find out on Sunday. Hopefully you’ll know by the end of next week.

Wish them Luck.

Remove ads