Barsoom Tales II: Romance, Revolution and BLOODY REVENGE!!! -- COMPLETE

shilsen

Adventurer
So Kani's gone? Pity. I was quite enjoying the visual of Arrafin moving around with the mannequin from hell in tow. I'm tempted to throw something like that into my game, but the PCs already have a plethora of gifts/benefits that have all sorts of ick associated with them, so it would be more of the usual.

By the way, how much of Arrafin's reaction to Kani was actually from the player and how much was artistic license? I find that many players are happy to suck it up and accept a 'gift', however horrible, as long as it leads to increased power.

On that note, how many of the funny quips are actually delivered at the table?

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
shilsen said:
So Kani's gone? Pity.
Hers is a sad story.

shilsen said:
How much of Arrafin's reaction to Kani was actually from the player and how much was artistic license?
Oh, there was a great deal of "Ew!!!!" from the players. They were really good at freaking themselves out.

It was a really great moment when Arrafin took the last bit of Shadow from Kani and killed her. I guess they thought she was an inexhaustible resource, and when she just poofed out of existence they were quite shocked.

When the "Ah Love" card was played, it notes that the love can be either a physical infatuation or a full-blown life-changing true love thingie. Obviously I decided life would be most interesting if an insane, all-powerful vampire fell deeply and truly in love with one of the PCs. Deciding on ways in which Madame Yuek would express her love was a lot of fun.

She means well. Sort of. She just doesn't have a lot of practice at this. And she's completely insane.

shilsen said:
On that note, how many of the funny quips are actually delivered at the table?
Well, it's been quite a few years, so I'm taking a fair amount of license. But they ARE funny people, my old gang.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Frying Pan, Fire: 5

"I have received some distressing news. I hope it is not true."

Etienne cleared his throat, looking worriedly between Zuleika and Blood Sister Torokan.

"If this is about..."

"It is not."

"Oh. Okay."

Torokan gestured.

"Please, have a seat."

It did not occur to Arrafin that being invited to sit in her own home was strange. She sat on the edge of the sofa.

All of them were still recovering from the battle so recently fought, panting and covered in dust, sweat and blood. Isaac sank to the floor, leaning back with a groan to prop himself against the wall.

Torokan remained standing. Her severe crimson robe made her look perfectly cylindrical. It looked very uncomfortable to Elena, but she had to admit there was a certain grace to the ensemble. She leaned back on the sofa next to Arrafin and sniffed.

"So, what's this news?"

Torokan looked around at them all.

"I have a report from Tellal that you people were seen talking with a certain vampire. One that appears to be a tall Tianese woman."

Isaac frowned.

"Tianese? What's that? Only vampire we know looks Lohanese."

Arrafin shook her head.

"And that Kishak one. Don't forget her."

"Right, Mara. And is Shang a vampire?"

Etienne leaned against the doorframe, cocky and smug.

"Nah. Shang's just some old guy. That Madame Yuek bitch is a vampire. She's all... hard. And stuff."

Torokan rolled her eyes.

"Please. I refer to... did you say Madame Yuek?"

"Yeah. That's the name she gave us, anyway."

"I see. We haven't heard of her name before. You people are the first to meet her and tell the tale. And she does not give her name to her victims."

Arrafin frowned.

"Waitaminute. If nobody's ever lived, how do you even know she exists?"

"First, there are ways to get answers from those who no longer live. Second, well, there are stories."

"Stories."

"Stories."

Arrafin crossed her arms and looked skeptical.

"Okay, tell us a story."

Torokan bowed.

"Sixty years ago, the Nahanese court began to hear rumours of a ghost haunting a forest in a distant province. The tales said it appeared as a woman, pale and feral, that ran from anyone who approached it. Corpses of wild animals were found, terribly disembowelled and their hearts taken. Trappers complained that their livelihood was imperiled.

"It was not until farm animals began dying that the governor of the province acted. He sent a message to the Silk Court informing the Emperor that a detachment of soldiers had been dispatched to find and deal with the ghost, or whatever it was.

"No further word came. No traffic descended from the mountain passes. A year passed without word. The Emperor sent an army up to see what had happened.

"They found desolation. A vast wasteland. What had once been a thriving forest valley with farms and towns was now a desert of ash, as though a great fire had consumed the entire district. Hundreds of square miles were devastated. There was not a single living thing in the province."

Torokan turned to Arrafin.

"You are familiar with the effect of Shadow's touch on living things, yes? How it turns them to ash? Imagine an entity capable of summouning enough Shadow to exterminate everything for leagues upon leagues."

Arrafin, eyes wide with horror, nodded. Torokan sighed.

"It can only have been one thing: the Demon Goddess."

"Oh, that's encouraging."

Torokan paid no attention to Isaac's snarl.

"The Demon Goddess ruled the nation of Tianguo for a hundred years, subjecting the people of that once-proud nation to such horrors that if I describe them you will not believe me. Her reign was literally hell on earth.

"My order believed she had been destroyed. It cost us greatly to do so. But if this is she, risen..."

Elena stretched out.

"Great. So what, we have to choose between she and Matai Shang? Some choice."

"Shang is a sorcerer and a very powerful one. But the Demon Goddess is the most potent entity upon Barsoom. Her power eclipses that of the god-sorcerers of long ago."

Torokan swallowed, shaking.

"You must understand. She possesses the power to destroy all life on Barsoom. She can reduce the entire world to a cinder, merely by wishing it to be so. She must be destroyed."

The Blood Sister recovered her poise. She smiled.

"Now. You folks have a sword, I believe, that has proven efficacious against vampires?"

There was an uncomfortable silence. Elena lowered her face to her hands and groaned.

"Oh, I knew we'd regret that move."

Kishak soldiers in the street. Ranks of them, kicking down doors and dragging hapless civilians into the streets.

An uncharacteristic anger darkened Arrafin's delicate face. She'd hidden with her friends in a cellar and the soldiers, after destroying nearly everything in her house, had moved on.

Outside, still screaming and angry shouting. The seven (now that Kaley had re-appeared) friends gathered in a room full of shattered furniture and considered each other.

Elena shrugged.

"I still think we should go get that Farouk guy. Can we figure out how to find him?"

Nevid coughed and replied.

"I think I know which block it is. In the fountain. Arrafin, do you think you could use that spell of yours to break the block open? I think he's inside the block, somehow."

"Sure. Sure."

Zuleika put a hand on Arrafin's shoulder.

"Arrafin. You can't do anything for your father right now. I know how you feel, but you can't help him."

"I know that!"

Arrafin shook off Zuleika's touch and stomped across the room. Just ahead of the Kishak soldiers had come the news, shouted by panic-stricken citizens.

The Khadisan's army annihilated a few miles south of Al-Tizim. Kishak legions triumphant, backed up with gunpowder and sorcery. And now Al-Tizim bled in a massive purge as Kishak soldiers took out months of frustration and anger.

No word of Arrafin's father, who had ridden with the Khadisan.

"I know. I just. Maybe I can see him. Wait. Wait here. I want to see him."

She rushed out of the room, down the hall to the springhouse. She'd grown up here. In this house. Her father. Her brother.

Arrafin reached out and Shadow's darkness swirled into being around her, but she couldn't focus and lost the spell, only just able to release the deadly energy without killing herself. Heedless of the risk, she tried again, and then again, each time a wider circle of black tendrils growing around her. The circle expanded beyond the edges of the room she knelt in.

Next door, two children stopped breathing. A man collapsed, half his body turned to ash.

Arrafin cast her spell. The water in the springhouse shivered, then cleared. The Naridic girl gasped and ran from the room.

Isaac caught her before she could throw herself into the street.

"Arrafin, no. What happened? What is it?"

Zuleika cursed and turned away. Elena spared her an angry glance and joined Isaac with Arrafin.

The slender girl couldn't speak. She shook her head, sobbing.

"Oh, no."

Zuleika slammed a fist into the wall, then jumped back as a woman screamed from just next door. She and Etienne looked at each other, nodded and ran out the back of the house.

Isaac and Elena guided Arrafin to what remained of the sofa.

"It's okay, sweetie. It'll be okay."

Nevid remained standing where he was, trying to ignore everything. Especially Kaley, who stood staring at him.

"Do you want some water? It'll be okay, Arrafin."

"No, it damn well won't."

Isaac looked up at Zuleika's angry tone. She and Etienne had returned and glared down at Arrafin.

"You did that, didn't you?"

The younger girl frowned, confused.

"Did what? What do you mean?"

"It was that sorcery of yours."

Zuleika pointed next door as she shouted.

"You killed them! Children! You killed them with that stupid spell of yours."

"What?"

Everyone turned to Arrafin, horrified.

"No. What are you talking about? I didn't kill anyone. I wouldn't."

"That black stuff you use for those spells of yours. I've seen what it does to people. It went right through the wall of the house."

"What? No."

Arrafin shook her head.

"There were children hiding there, Arrafin. You killed them."

"Oh, god. No. No."

Then Elena was grabbing Arrafin and shaking her.

"What did you do? What did you do?"

The Naridic girl tore herself free.

"Nothing! I didn't do anything. I just. I wanted to see my father. And he's dead. They stuck him up on a tree. Nailed him up there. He. No. Leave me alone!"

She rushed from the room and they could hear her footsteps racing upstairs. Elena started to follow but Isaac grabbed her.

"Let her go. Give her some time."

"She killed those children."

"It was an accident, Zuleika. You think she doesn't feel terrible about it?"

"She killed them."

Arrafin threw herself down on the fragments of her old bed. The door to her bedroom had been knocked to pieces. She sobbed and cursed and beat her fist against the wall.

The strain of the last few days collapsed upon her and she fell asleep.

What woke her up she couldn't say. Nothing stirred in the house. She was alone in her room but she could hear Isaac snoring below.

Arrafin sat up.

Standing in the doorway she saw a tall figure in a simple black gown. Long dark hair falling to the floor in an gleaming ebony cascade. Black eyes staring at her. White white skin.

"Arrafin."

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Frying Pan, Fire: 6

Arrafin stared into the flames, her big eyes swimming with tears. Skin and flesh blackened and peeled away from her father's body in the heart of the pyre, rising up into the night sky. Her owl, perched on her thin shoulder, watched along with her.

The light from the city was only a glow on the horizon, out here beyond the irrigated orchards, at the edge of the desert. Stars twinkled overhead, unmoved by the funerary bonfire below.

She watched in silence as the fire consumed her father. Her thin body swayed with exhaustion and grief, but only once the flames had begun to lower did she turn to face the statuesque figure behind her.

"The Blood Council are afraid of you."

"They should be."

Arrafin stared. Madame Yuek stood perfectly still, dressed in a simple black robe and with her long shiny hair hanging down to the ground in a straight black cascade. Even without her usual finery, she was beautiful. She stood in perfect stillness. Arrafin wondered at her refusal to defend herself, or explain anything. Not for the first time, Arrafin felt the desire to ask more, to try and see the woman that existed within the monster. If indeed one did.

"Teach me. Teach me sorcery."

Madame Yuek regarded the young girl seriously.

"Are you sure you want this, Arrafin? There is no turning back from this path."

"Somebody has to fight the people who do this. The Tyrant's Shade. Matai Shang. I don't care. Somebody has to fight them."

The tall vampire bowed her head without taking her gaze away from Arrafin's.

"I will teach you."

Arrafin burst into tears then. As she fell to her knees, she barely noticed strong arms coming to support her.

"You must have missed her, Etienne. Arrafin couldn't have climbed out the window."

"I didn't miss her. Nobody came downstairs, I'm telling you. I was on the job. I was right here the whole time."

Elena crossed her arms and glowered at the half-Kishak.

"Well, you explain it then. Where is she?"

"She's back."

Everyone turned at the low, amused voice from within Arrafin's room. They started at the sight of Madame Yuek standing there with Arrafin limp in her arms. Isaac's eyes widened and he pushed forward, nearly drawing his sword.

Madame Yuek smiled.

"She has just cremated her father. She is exhausted."

Stunned, the others could only watch as the unearthly vampire turned to set Arrafin on her bed and stopped, noticing the demolished furniture. She tilted her head slightly and the bed re-assembled itself, sheets drawing into perfect arrangements.

Arrafin murmured something incomprehensible as Madame Yuek laid her down on the restored mattress.

Everyone stared as the vampire knelt beside the bed and pressed her lips to Arrafin's forehead.

Isaac found his voice.

"Get away from her."

He managed to remain where he was as Madame Yuek stood to face him. Death rolled off her undead presence. For a second she glared at the Saijadani with unrestrained fury, but her gaze turned to regard Arrafin once more, and she seemed to calm down. She was smiling when she looked back at Isaac.

"I understand you've spoken to the Blood Council about me. Don't think they aren't pursuing their own agenda. Don't think they aren't trying to use you."

"At least they don't eat people."

"Yes. Well."

Nevid took a breath and stepped up beside Isaac.

"Madame Yuek. What does Matai Shang want with me? Does it have to do with what you mentioned before? My soul?"

The vampire frowned.

"Shang came after you? Interesting. I advise you to stay close to her."

She pointed at Elena.

"My dear, you wear some item that makes you hard to locate, don't you? Its protection extends to those near you, as well. Although it does not prevent me from finding you, as you see."

With a mocking smile, the Lohanese beauty bowed.

"Good evening to you all."

In a swirl of darkness, she was gone.

Everyone inhaled. And then looked over to where Arrafin lay curled up on her restored bed. Her little owl sat on a bedpost, watching them all balefully.

"I don't really love how all this is going."

Arrafin awoke to sounds of conversation downstairs. For long moments she lay still, recalling the flames that consumed her father's body.

Her father.

Her brother.

The Tyrant's Shade had done this.

Arrafin's mouth set in a grim line as she rose from bed and shuffled downstairs. Gral circled over her head.

Conversation came to a halt as she entered the front parlour. Her friends sat on assorted pieces of broken furniture, sharing some food Zuleika had brought from the market. Cautious stares watched Arrafin walk forward.

Isaac stood up and took the young girl's hand.

"Arrafin, before anything else, I'm sorry about your father. We all are."

She looked up at him, pain erupting within those wide round eyes of hers.

"I lost my father, too, years ago. I know how you feel."

Arrafin managed to nod. She turned to Zuleika.

"I didn't mean to hurt anyone, Zuleika. It was an accident."

"You have to think things through, Arrafin. This isn't a game. People are dying."

Arrafin replied in a hollow voice Elena had never heard her friend use before.

"People die no matter what I do."

The ensuing silence was broken by Etienne's cough.

"Well? It's obvious we should try and get this Farouk spirit-thing. Once we have that, we can... whatever."

"Whatever?"

"Well, whatever we're going to do next."

Another silence settled over the room as they all looked at each other.

Outside, a child called out. Arrafin flinched.

At last Elena spoke up.

"Well, do we want to... fight somebody? Stop somebody? There doesn't seem to be a shortage of bad guys around."

"Well, yeah, but..."

Isaac looked for the right words.

"Aren't we a little outmatched? What are we supposed to do against guys like Shang or the Shade or Madame Yuek? They can squish our heads any time."

Nevid drew in a breath.

"I'd like to find out why Shang is after me. And -- "

He glanced over at Kaley, who smiled brightly.

"-- I'd like to know what's going on with her. Why is she here?"

"I like ye."

"I know."

Zuleika shrugged.

"Whatever. Yeah, maybe Farouk ibn Zaoud the legendary warrior of Naridic epics can help you with your girlfriend."

"You know, Zuleika, sometimes your attitude could maybe be a little nicer."

"Yeah, you're a real ray of sunshine, Elena."

"That's enough, you two. Arrafin."

Isaac turned to address the Naridic girl.

"What's going on with Madame Yuek and you?"

"What do you mean?"

"What do you mean, what do I mean? You disappear in the middle of the night without a word and then she brings you back and tucks you all into bed like some kind of freaky undead nanny. Don't you remember what the Blood Council told us? She's dangerous. You shouldn't be hanging around with her."

Arrafin shot to her feet, eyes blazing.

"I wasn't hanging around with her. She found my father's body and helped me. She helped me. She's not."

She looked around at the others.

"You all think. Just what that Blood Council bitch said. Maybe SHE'S lying, did you think of that? Why should we trust her?"

"Well, for one, she's not a vampire."

Elena had gotten to her feet as well and she stomped over to Arrafin.

"Arrafin, you need to think about things. You killed some innocent people yesterday. Now you're, what? Defending a vampire against us? Whose side are you on?"

"Side? What are you talking about? What sides?"

Zuleika sneered from where she sat.

"For one, there's side of people who don't kill innocents."

"F**k you, Zuleika. Who saved your life back in the desert?"

Everyone stood and the shouting rose up. Arrafin's owl dive-bombed Zuleika. Etienne tried to grab Elena and got an elbow in the gut. Elena shook Arrafin.

"Arrafin, get a hold of yourself! This. Look. We're just. Damn it."

The Naridic girl was crying. Everyone stared away from everyone else. Elena wiped furiously at tears on her cheeks. She turned to face the group.

"Let's get this Farouk guy. We can worry about the rest later. Arrafin, will you help?"

"Of course. Of course I'll help."

"Alright. Let's try not to kill anybody."

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Frying Pan, Fire: 7

The hardest part, for Arrafin, was convincing herself that what they were doing was worth destroying an ancient remnant of a vanished civilization.

The Fountain of Kings had stood in Al-Tizim for millenia. It was ancient in the time Suelekar Ben Azan, the king who had commanded the spirit they were trying to awaken. The Fountain pre-dated Naridic civilization, and while no one could say for certain, it was thought to be a relic of the barely-known Karidish kingdom that once ruled these lands.

Arrafin thought of what little she knew of the Karidish people while she waited for Nevid to give her the signal to proceed. Darker-skinned than the Naridic people, they had left behind great monuments across the desert and only a few names to mark their presence. Their great king, Tushan Kal Kabbar.

Her brow furrowed as she considered that strange black warrior who had crossed their path twice previously. Laughter of Stones. 34th of the Scar'ith Tushan.

"Once we were men. We loved our king, Tushan Kal Kabbar. The sacrifice was his, and still we fight our ancient war. We are the Scar'ith Tushan, the Three Hundred Forsaken. Through the centuries we have hunted the great enemy. The Keyad'ar. We are the darkness that carries through to light. We are glory out of death."

She had sought further references to his strange pronouncement, but information was scarce and poorly-understood. Arrafin tsk-ed to herself when she recalled the state of literature on the subject, and resolved to put together a paper on Karidish kings as soon as she had a chance.

Rummaging around in her bag for a scrap of paper to note her new resolution, Arrafin entirely missed Nevid's signal.

Nevid stood as nonchanlantly as he could near the great stone circle that marked the Fountain. Uncertain what to do now that Arrafin wasn't watching, he shrugged. Kaley smiled at him. Across the square from Arrafin Elena leaned against an oak tree, trying not to look ready to run. She rolled her eyes at Nevid's hesitancy, and signalled to Isaac, Etienne and Zuleika, all positioned around the square to watch for trouble, that they should hold position.

Elena sighed. She drew in a breath and yelled out at the top of her lungs.

"Arrafin! Now!"

Arrafin dropped her bag, suddenly remembering where she was and what she was doing. She sucked in and blackness erupted all around her, swirling up in wild tendrils and bizarre sprays as she bent that dark power to her will, her mind cold and utterly rational.

Earthbolt

The spell cracked the flagstones at her feet, stone chips and dust flying everywhere, and sent a roaring explosion speeding away from her straight at the Fountain, at the particular stone she and Nevid had agreed most likely contained the resting place of Farouk Ibn Zaoud, fairytale hero of Arrafin's childhood.

The immense slab of rock that formed one portion of the Fountain shuddered and split with an explosive crack. Water shot into the air.

Elena was already running. They didn't know how Kishak authorities would react but it was safe to assume that sorcerous property damage in one of the largest public spaces in Al-Tizim would be noticed and acted upon.

She vaulted one stone wall and jumped down beside the newly formed fissure in the rock. Isaac meanwhile ran and grabbed Arrafin and dragged the girl into the crowd.

Looking down, Elena saw a glint of crystal and reached in. Something small came away in her hand and she clutched it tight and ran for it with all her strength.

Guards yelled and something thundered, but distantly. Elena ran, streets opening before her as her feet pounded on the cobblestones. Merchants and robed women scrambled from her path and now she heard the sound of pursuit, voices calling for her to stop. She ran on.

Around a corner, awnings fluttering, one fat man twisting aside as she careened by. The street narrowed suddenly and she vaulted a low railing, pelting through crowded tables and crashing past a waiter in a sidewalk cafe, a woman yelling angry behind her as she hurtled around another corner, wrong way wrong way, too late now, noise behind her still of yelling soldiers in pursuit.

Her breath tore at her chest, sharp and hard but she couldn't slow down, even as she flew out into a busy street and bounced off a wagon, spun and kept her momentum forward, knocked aside a couple of young kids and tore down a dark alley.

She lurched, reaching out to grab the nearby wall and maintain her balance as she had to stop, reeling backwards, at the sight of red-skinned soldiers ahead of her. One pointed.

"Oh, no."

"She went left. She was supposed to go right. Why did she go left?"

Etienne and Zuleika, torn with indecision, trotted along a main thoroughfare, hoping for a sight of their friend. Nevid had confirmed there was nothing in the broken stone after Elena ran, so they presumed she'd gotten it. Whatever it was.

But she was supposed to go right, and they'd lost her.

"Wait. That's Kishak I hear."

Etienne listened, and nodded.

"This way."

He and Zuleika crossed the street and turned into a lane, the foreign shouting louder here and easier to follow.

Somebody screamed. Etienne started running.

"She was supposed to go right."

"Arrafin, are you sure you know what you're doing?"

The Naridic girl looked a question at Isaac. He sighed and put a cigar in his mouth.

"With. With her. Madame Yuek."

"I. I think so."

"I don't mean to. You know, I'm not trying to say anything. But you have to be careful. She scares me. A lot."

"Yeah."

They sat side-by-side at a neighborhood well, waiting for their friends to arrive. Arrafin tried to explain, gesticulating as she spoke.

"She says she'll help me learn sorcery. It's dangerous. But. But, Isaac, I'm good at it. And I can help."

They sat in silence for a little while, the sounds of Naridic conversation and neighborhood life all around them. Arrafin turned to her Saijadani friend.

"She scares me, too. But if she wanted me dead, I'd be dead already, right? I don't know. But, just trust me, okay?"

"You're not a child, Arrafin. I know we treat you like you were one. And I guess maybe we think of you as one. It's only because we care."

"I know."

Arrafin looked back down at the stones at her feet.

"I know."

The soldiers approached. Elena was spent, leaning against the wall, just watching them come.

She remembered what this was all about and looked down at her hand. Clutched there lay an amber ball set in tarnished silver, a little smaller than her palm.

Nothing worth dying for.

Elena looked up at the soldiers and shrugged.

"What the hell. Farouk ibn Zaoud, if you're around, kill these bastards for me."

She stared at the unbelievably handsome man in front of her. He was a little taller than her, with powerful arms folded across his bare chest. His eyes shone gold and his thick dark hair fell across his forehead in an unruly tangle of curls.

Her mouth watered.

"Hi."

He bowed.

"As my mistress commands."

The soldiers had stopped in some confusion and stood, staring just like Elena at the sudden apparition.

The apparition drew an immense scimitar and started towards them. Two were dead before the rest thought to try and flee. It was a futile effort.

Etienne and Zuleika came around the corner and blinked at the carnage before them. Elena waved and pointed to the beautiful Naridic man beside her.

"Look what I have."

Remove ads