Batgirl movie cancelled

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That can't be right.

I'll accept that they get the tax deduction earlier if they bury the film, but the cost of making the film has to be deductible eventually.
Tqx codes and film production are weird. But if they never make any money, they get more of it back. That's from the Deadline article.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Some more highlights from that earning call:

It is rare that you can see ineptitude like this playing out in real time.

Up until recently, I had often remarked that HBOMax was the best of the streaming services ... and with a little proper guidance, would likely be one of the big winners moving forward.

But this? Let's see ....

1. They've saddled the company with debt.
2. They've completely alienated creatives ... and CAA.
3. They appear to not understand their own audiences- the demographics or the desires.
4. They seem to have no idea what the HBO brand means.
5. Finally, they are pivoting hard to movie releases ... which is a choice, but could be done just as easily without starving the streaming service.

Hex08

Hero
It is rare that you can see ineptitude like this playing out in real time.

Up until recently, I had often remarked that HBOMax was the best of the streaming services ... and with a little proper guidance, would likely be one of the big winners moving forward.

But this? Let's see ....

1. They've saddled the company with debt.
2. They've completely alienated creatives ... and CAA.
3. They appear to not understand their own audiences- the demographics or the desires.
4. They seem to have no idea what the HBO brand means.
5. Finally, they are pivoting hard to movie releases ... which is a choice, but could be done just as easily without starving the streaming service.
Didn't AT&T dump HBO because of its debt?
Didn't AT&T drive away long time HBO executives?
(Neither of those are intended to be disagreeable, just an observation about corporations acting like corporations)

Either way, in the age of always approved mergers to allow the creation of bigger and bigger corporations I think this kind of stuff is the new normal. It's only when already huge companies like Disney, Apple or Amazon enter the arena (streaming in this case) that they really seem to have a vision and stick to it. Otherwise, you get organizations that are often stepping outside their wheelhouse and playing whack-a-mole.

Marvel just keeps taking digs at Discovery/Warner
Ms. Marvel director Adil El Arbi shares a message of support Kevin Feige sent him and Bilall Fallah after Batgirl was canceled.
2b1tleslzvf91.jpg

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Among other things WBD is shaking up, CNN is being told to leave the opinions and get back to news. Somebody at Discovery must have studied their historical (since 1990) ratings.

If I was billions of dollars in debt, I would be asking questions like "Will this project draw large audiences (and hence lots of money) or did it become something niche?" and "Is this project in our wheelhouse of what we do best, somewhere close, or a distance from our wheelhouse?" With the idea we should do what we do best and profitably, not branch out with a lot of hard-to-predict experiments.

If I Was The Evil Overlord said:
Before I implement any plan, I will describe it to a 5-year-old. Any flaws he finds will be fixed before I proceed.
Cancelling Batgirl may be in that line of reasoning. I don't know what the problem was, but it must have been serious if WBD decided to scrap $90M of costs rather than try to salvage some of it.

Remove ads