Batgirl movie cancelled

Zardnaar

Legend
Among other things WBD is shaking up, CNN is being told to leave the opinions and get back to news. Somebody at Discovery must have studied their historical (since 1990) ratings.

If I was billions of dollars in debt, I would be asking questions like "Will this project draw large audiences (and hence lots of money) or did it become something niche?" and "Is this project in our wheelhouse of what we do best, somewhere close, or a distance from our wheelhouse?" With the idea we should do what we do best and profitably, not branch out with a lot of hard-to-predict experiments.

Cancelling Batgirl may be in that line of reasoning. I don't know what the problem was, but it must have been serious if WBD decided to scrap $90M of costs rather than try to salvage some of it.

CNN stuff? American news isn't great but CNN seems fairly bad.

Has anyone mentioned the 800 pound gorilla? That they got rid of Batgirl because it was to "new way" of making movies? The "new way" has taken over movies for the last decade or two where some demand movies MUST be made in a diffrent new way that is nothing like old movies.

Quick recap:
Marvel phase 1-3 mostly classic "old way" and made tons and tons and tons of money
Marvel phase 4- er, well, ok, ish maybe..makes some money, but not as much as above

The vast bulk of DC movies-er, some, ok, maybe..makes some money, but not as much as above Marvel 1-3

So, someone might notice a pattern. Just make a good classic old way movie, and make lots of money. Anything else, and make less money.

And really, for DC this should not be hard. They have some of the greatest fictional characters ever. Batgirl year one would make a fine movie. So would Blade from the Shadows.

Cancelling Batgirl may be in that line of reasoning. I don't know what the problem was, but it must have been serious if WBD decided to scrap $90M of costs rather than try to salvage some of it.
The problem was it was approved by the previous boss just like everything else the new boss is getting rid of or rearranging.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Has anyone mentioned the 800 pound gorilla? That they got rid of Batgirl because it was to "new way" of making movies? The "new way" has taken over movies for the last decade or two where some demand movies MUST be made in a diffrent new way that is nothing like old movies.
What is the "new way" of making movies?

Religion/politics
What is the "new way" of making movies?
Well, the classic way of making a movie is to just sit down and write/make a good movie. You make a movie that you both like and think others will like, even more so the fans of whatever your making. See, roughly, any movie made before 2000.

The new way is to make a message of a movie and worry about what every small group might say or think about everything. Then try to make everything just right to make everyone happy, except the fans.

I think the big Eye Opener for Warner Brothers and DC Movies was Top Gun:Maverick. Pure classic movie. Made tons of money. But then compare to all the DC not so great hits.

And again, this should be so easy for DC. They have a TON of lore and stories and characters to work with.

Well, the classic way of making a movie is to just sit down and write/make a good movie. You make a movie that you both like and think others will like, even more so the fans of whatever your making. See, roughly, any movie made before 2000.

The new way is to make a message of a movie and worry about what every small group might say or think about everything. Then try to make everything just right to make everyone happy, except the fans.
I guess Brith of a Nation didn't have a message, nor did Triumph of the Will, Intolerance and that's just off the top of my head.

And this is how you drive away folks

Last edited:

Remove ads