D&D 5E Battle Master maneuvers for any class by spending a HD

TheSword

Legend
There has been a lot of talk recently about spicing up combat and making it a bit more nuanced and interesting. I have also been pondering how I rarely seem to need to spend many HD during short rests.

So, what would be the ramifications of allowing any character to spend one of their HD in combat once per round to enact any Battle Master Maneuver provided they’re proficient with their weapon. The HD becomes the equivalent of a superiority dice but available to any character.

This allows a character to...
  • Grant an attack to another player
  • Attempt a disarm
  • Grant advantage to another player
  • Increase AC
  • Feint
  • Goad
  • Lunge
  • Grant extra movement to another player
  • intimidate
  • Parry
  • Riposte
  • Push
  • Grant temporary
  • Follow through into another foe
  • Trip

HD as a resource is still pretty limited and while it makes single encounter days much easier for a typical adventuring day of 3-6 encounters it gives people a few choices.

The first consequence is that it obviously gives character more choice - and therefore power.

Secondly it makes the Battlemaster redundant, though this could be resolved By granting the BM an extra bonus action at 3rd and 10th level and an extra reaction at 7th and 15th, while keeping their superiority dice.

Thirdly it gives characters things to do with those redundant bonus actions and reactions.

Fourthly it slightly weakens classes that rely heavily on bonus and reactions as those classes won’t benefit so much from these choices.

Lastly it slightly weapons some feats that either do something similar or rely on bonus actions and reactions. I’m specifically thinking Dual Wielder, Parry and Sentinel.

What else have I missed?

... and most of all is it worth it?

Reynard

Legend
"Spicing up combat" seems to be antithetical to the design intent behind 5E and it's success in bringing in new players. Option paralysis is real, especially among new players, and I wouldn't be inclined to add a whole bunch of stuff for that reason.

That said, a tactical crunch module would be a good supplement for 5E. I don't think Hit Dice are a good resource to expend on maneuvers, though. Just add a list of actions and bonus actions that make combat more dynamic for those that want it. There's no reason to undermine the Battlemaster in doing so, IMO.

TheSword

Legend
Does the fact that these are entirely optional and the default of using the HD to heal is still a viable one, make a difference regarding complexity for new players?

I do see subclasses as entirely modular entities that should be able to be added or subtracted at will so I have no particular attachment to the Battle Master. Though I take your point that it does largely make it redundant.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Ramifications: Massive dilution to the battle master subclass, and fighters in general.

Ask yourself what the ramifications of casting any spell in the game if you just expended HD equal to the spell level?

jgsugden

Legend
This would be power creep on a significant scale. Battlemaster Maneuvers are martial spells, in a sense. As such, this is equivalent to allowing any PC to cast spells using their hit dice.

If you want to spice up your combat, I suggest doing so by changing the environment and introducing unique features to the battlefield that require the PCs to react to the field of battle as well as the enemy. That will give you spice and keep things interesting without power creep.

the Jester

Legend
This would basically make the battlemaster a total trap option, while also significantly shortening the adventuring day.

Note that many of the battlemaster's options are available to other pcs in a "lite" version- for instance, there are rules for shoving creatures prone, disarming (in the DMG), pushing enemies around, etc. The difference is that the battlemaster gets to do that AND deal damage. He's better at it- he is a master of battle. And he should be.

Personally, I think this is a bad idea.

TheSword

Legend
This would be power creep on a significant scale. Battlemaster Maneuvers are martial spells, in a sense. As such, this is equivalent to allowing any PC to cast spells using their hit dice.

If you want to spice up your combat, I suggest doing so by changing the environment and introducing unique features to the battlefield that require the PCs to react to the field of battle as well as the enemy. That will give you spice and keep things interesting without power creep.
Wait a minute is there not a bit of hyperbole here. I’m not sure Battle Master maneuveres are as powerful as even a first level spell.

Do you honestly think that adding 1d10 to a damage roll is the equivalent of a first level spell? Or gaining +1d10 to AC during a move. The most powerful would seem to be allowing another character to attack in place of you in the case of a rogue or character with very high damage but even that involves giving up your own attack.

This isn’t about coming up with alternatives it’s about discussing this. Power creep isnt a problem if it benefits all characters.

TheSword

Legend
This would basically make the battlemaster a total trap option, while also significantly shortening the adventuring day.

Note that many of the battlemaster's options are available to other pcs in a "lite" version- for instance, there are rules for shoving creatures prone, disarming (in the DMG), pushing enemies around, etc. The difference is that the battlemaster gets to do that AND deal damage. He's better at it- he is a master of battle. And he should be.

Personally, I think this is a bad idea.
Yes I agree. The battle master becomes redundant... though of course that is only a problem if you were desperate to play a Battle master which is no longer necessary because any character can have a chance to enjoy these benefits at a cost.

TheSword

Legend
Ramifications: Massive dilution to the battle master subclass, and fighters in general.

Ask yourself what the ramifications of casting any spell in the game if you just expended HD equal to the spell level?
Can I ask why fighters would be diluted? When fighters would be one of the main beneficiaries of this, considering their high HD and predisposition to combat?

Let me phrase it another way. Does magic initiate dilute spell casters?

These are substantially less powerful than shield for instance, or Zephyr strike. Though of course you would have more uses if you chose to sacrifice healing resource.

Last edited:

Remove ads