D&D 5E BATTLE ROYALE - 20th Level Sorcerer vs. Wizard -- FIGHT!!!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Knock yourselves out... ;)

Ok, this is a joke to me, but since people want to go through it:

1. Standard Array
2. Any WotC developed material (No 3PP, no Critical Role crap, etc.), no UA, it must be in a published work.
3. No multiclassing
4. 4 common magic items, 3 uncommon, 2 rare, 1 very rare, 20000 gp limit to spend on costly components.
5. No prep time. Assume the PC is out for a normal walk when boom! the other is there and they go at it.
6. No limit on movement, area, etc.
7. If a PC somehow gets in a short or long rest, they LOSE (let's not try tactics that delay things, ok?).
8. Dying and having a Clone someplace is not a win.
9. Only 1 simulacrum, but it isn't there so you'll have to find a way to bring it to the battle if you want it there.
10. No changes. Once you post a build that is your build. You can't update when someone else's strategy shows holes in yours. Please respect that. If you edit your post to change your build, you're disqualified (IMO anyway ;) ).

Finally, please don't offer theories or speculations, present a complete BUILD of your concept if you want others to take it seriously.

If people are interested, via the Internet this could turn into an actual DM-run competition with recorded and uploaded videos of the fights.

I'll update the OP with anything else people bring up that I am not thinking of now.

Last edited:

Waterbizkit

Explorer
I'm terrible at this stuff and away from all of my materials as well, but...

As long as the sorcerer knows counterspell and has the subtle metamagic option available to them, the sorcerer should almost win by default or at least make it painfully difficult for the wizard to do much.

As I understand it, a subtle spell can't be countered. So the sorcerer can cast a subtle counterspell every round when the wizard tries to do anything, which the wizard can't counter-counterspell because it was subtle. Then, on their turn, the sorcerer casts whatever they want, also subtle, so the wizard once again can't counter it.

A 20th level sorcerer, assuming no feats or items for simplicity, has twenty sorcery points and subtle spell only costs one regardless of the spell it's being used to modify. So roughly two points per round spent means the wizard has to weather this for about ten rounds before they can do anything without being significantly inconvenienced.

Now, that's just off the top of my head. Obviously the sorcerer doesn't actually win by default because of the above, there's too many variables in an exercise like this, but that's just me shooting from the hip when I should be working. :)

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I'm not a numbers guy, but I played a Sorcerer in AL to fifteenth level. "Maximized Magic Missile" over and over and over.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
If I can use that sweet UA rule where the sorcerer can swap a spell every long rest, the sorcerer will win easily. :)

Hohige

Explorer
Knock yourselves out... ;)

1. Standard Array
2. Any WotC developed material (No 3PP, no Critical Role crap, etc.) except UA, it must be in a published work.
3. No multiclassing
4. 4 common magic items, 3 uncommon, 2 rare, 1 very rare, 20000 gp limit to spend on costly components.
5. No prep time. Assume the PC is out for a normal walk when boom! the other is there and they go at it.
7. If a PC somehow gets in a short or long rest, they LOSE (let's not try tactics that delay things, ok?).
9. Only 1 simulacrum, but it isn't there so you'll have to find a way to bring it to the battle if you want it there.
10. No changes. Once you post a build that is your build. You can't update when someone else'ect that. If you edit your post to change your build, you're disqualified (IMO anyway ;) ).

Finally, please don't offer theories or speculations, present a complete BUILD of your concept if you want others to take it seri

If people are interested, via the Internet this could turn into an actual DM-run competition with recorded and uploaded videos of the fights.

I'll update the OP h anything else people

1. Standard Array
2. Any WotC developed material (No 3PP, no Critical Role crap, etc.) except UA, it must be in a published work.
3. No multiclassing
10. No changes. Once you post a build that is your build. You can't update when someone else's strategy shows holes in yours. Please respect that. If you edit your post to change your build, you're disqualified (IMO anyway ;) ).

Finally, please don't offer theories or speculations, present a complete BUILD of your concept if you want others to take it seriously.

I'll update the OP with anything else people bring up that I am not thinking of no
Distance between them?
Can they see the enemy or not?

Now, that's just off the top of my head. Obviously the sorcerer doesn't actually win by default because of the above, there's too many variables in an exercise like this, but that's just me shooting from the hip when I should be working. :)

A variation on this strategy. The sorcerer’s second metamagic is Quicken. He doesn’t waste SP on casting his spells subtly (though his counterspells are always subtle). Instead, on his turn, he casts a cantrip. If the wizard counterspells his cantrip, he Quickens an uncounterspellable levelled spell. Otherwise, his cantrip goes through and damages the wizard.

Remove ads