D&D 5E BECMI 5E Modules All of It?

guachi

Hero
BECMI modules convert quite nicely to 5e. So far I've converted and run B6, B7, B10, X2, X4 and I've converted B2, X1, and X5 (though my players ended up not doing B2 and X1 because they went somewhere else).

The hardest/funnest part is being forced to convert monsters that don't exist in 5e and figuring out what to do with all the NPCs that are given descriptions in PC levels.

guachi

Hero
I've run X2, X4 and X5 with mixed levels of success using 5E rules.

X2 took a long time to convert, but hell was it worth it - my players loved it, with its wacky pseudo-french theme. It's very very long though, as battles tend to take a little longer to resolve in 5E than they did in B/X. Averoigne could do with a little more fleshing out.

X4 was also a hit, the set piece nature of the events worked well with 5E. It's as far for the 6-8 encounter day as can be imaginable, but it still works, due to the big battles being very big. Thus it was no problem for with the PCs going all out with everything they had. The Abbey at the end is brilliant.

X5 was a bit more troublesome, it took me a long time to decide what I wanted The Master to be. It all ended with near TPK, my players enjoyed it, but it was hard work behind the scenes for me.

Had they been successful in X5 we would have continued to X10 - now THAT would have been a challenge!

I'd love to give B4 a go using 5E rules, that's my favourite in the B series.

Sounds like my party. They went north to Glantri instead of south to the Isle of Dread so I ran X2. I tried to keep the flavor of the module as much as possible. I kept most of the save or suck situations. I had been running Gritty Realism so the method of regaining HP/resources in X2 was welcome. Especially after I altered from "when the session ends" to getting HP/resources back when you left an area of the Chateau so we had the silliness of pretending the session was over (wink, wink) and then immediately welcoming the players back seconds later.

X2 went shockingly well after a series of modules by the UK team (U1, B10, UK2, UK3) that are quite realistic in theme and setting. I set them up with a bit of background from a YouTube video and the warning "no logic was harmed in the making of this module". I knew they had bought into things when, in the first encounter in the boxing match, I asked them in my worst French accent if they wanted to box and a PC replied, "yes". I responded, "Your accent! It is so strange!" and, without missing a beat, "Oui".

The possession by the mad Princess Catherine was a major hit. I picked the PC most likely to be able to pull it off, gave her a write-up and said "this happens when you're ready." She had been previously turned to stone so she didn't have much to do. Stone to Flesh is a 6th level spell and, since I had Catherine as an 11th level Wizard, I pretended she had used the spell to turn her back to flesh and then possessed her. She stayed possessed and doing a horrible French accent until almost the very end where we almost had a TPK right before the PCs returned from Averoigne to the Chateau to free Etienne. The player of Catherine correctly reasoned she wouldn't want to actually free her husband. It was so much fun with the almost-TPK I skipped the series of encounters after returning to the Chateau and had them free Etienne forthwith.

X2 was more fun than I could have imagined. Play up the crazy and have fun!

Then they used their broken time machine (Think Back to the Future. One of the PCs is a Glantrian Sorcerer who can channel the Radiance, which is powered by a magical nuclear reactor. Given the hint of the lame Back to the Future ripoff he reasoned he could use his sorcery abilities to power the time machine) and a random roll sent them to X4, which I've set 63 years before the campaign date.

We even played a game of Parcheesi (one of the random encounters in the module is peasants. I made it not-random and the first encounter) to get the faux-India vibe. We got as far as them agreeing to the mission last session. I think Gritty Realism will work well with X4.

BTW, what did you decide for the Master to be? I have him as basically what he is in the module, a high level cleric.

Last edited:

JonnyP71

Explorer
I also did the bad-french-accent-thing, plus I turned one of the Averoigne NPCs into a 5E Bard and had him sing simple french songs all the time - I learned a load of nursery rhymes in french for this....

You hear a horse's hooves, someone is approaching.
"We stop, move to the side of the road, listen and observe."
As the horseman approaches, you recognise a familiar voice and song.. altogether now -
"Frere Jacques, Frere Jacques, Dormez Vous..." etc

With the Master I made him into an Armoured Lich with the spell casting ability of a 13th level Cleric. The party were all level 9/10/11 so he needed to be tough. They took him down once, but failed to destroy his tomb, so he reformed (but without most of his spells) - and it was during the 2nd fight that the subservient Storm Giant turned up and the near TPK happened.

Koren n'Rhys

Explorer
Sounds like a fun topic to follow along with to me, so please do carry on! I'd agree that the Basic modules will certainly be a eclectic mix of good and bad, which will make the reviews fun. The one's that have any merit we can discuss in more depth and mull over the 5E conversion ideas. For another point of reference, I'd also point you towards the "Classic Modules Today" conversions series over on DMs Guild. I've only looked at a few, and they seem interesting (not necessarily drop in new monster stats, but more thoughtful conversion/rebalancing from what I can tell). This should be fun!

I'm fortunate enough to have original copies of the B/X books, an RC and a Creature Catalog too, plus I scored the booklets for cheap from the "Classic D&D Adventure Game" box set. I haven't seen an actual black box in person. That seems an odd beast with it's minis and reference cards. I do need to track down a copy of Wrath of the Immortals (or grab the POD) at some point.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think this is a decent idea to start a conversation, but I don't think you have to commit to doing them all. I think a nice conversation could be had about different people's philosophies on converting old adventures (one that is already starting in this thread) and using the old B/X modules as a starting point could provide some interesting conversation.

I would also suggest not trying to tackle them in order - B1 and B2 are both very different beasts than the rest of the B series or the X series in many ways (plus Goodman is already doing them). I might skip those and go right into either X1 or X2 or B3 or B4 as a starting point.

I did no one cared.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?616424-In-Search-of-the-Unknown-The-BECMI-Chronicles-5E

Last edited:

I converted (read: frantic scribbles on the margins of) When A Star Falls (UK series) for 5e and it worked well, although typical of the UK modules it is full of Fiend Folio beasties such as gibberlings and so on, but a bit of googling got me to where I needed to be. Actually worked really, really well. Great storyline.

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
[MENTION=6788652]The Grassy Gnoll[/MENTION], I really liked that module and remember the end fight causing a lot of my players going WTH! I may have to pull that one out again....

Remove ads