D&D 5E BECMI 5E Modules All of It?

darjr

I crit!
And speaking of the Rules Cyclopedia, isn't it being re-released in a print on demand form?

Anyway, back to the OP

1: This is a neat idea. Some old modules are great fun in almost any editions - and it's nice to know which one those are

2: Converting to 5e is in general easy BUT there is a challenge I've been finding: Mooks. Cannon Fodder in 5e is just not the same as in lower editions. Those 3 goblins on a ledge during the fight shooting arrows at the party? In old editions they had a thaco of 20 (ie +0 to hit). In 5e they have +4. And higher level cannon hodder has *much more* hp. An ogre in 2nd ed had about 20 hp. Now it's about 60!

Is this a joke? I can’t tell, in case it isn’t here is a link. The RC is indeed available as POD.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17171/DD-Rules-Cyclopedia-Basic?affiliate_id=182934

That’s my affiliate link.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
No! Absolutely not. It’s just the news made the front page and was in several threads and was all over the internet. Sorta. Also I took it as a good natured joke, if it was one, which now I know it was not.
Ah. I posted that to emphasize the fact that is was re released to ensure that all the thread readers knew.

It was said as a question because I realized that I was only 95% sure about the POD aspect.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Zardnaar

Legend
Some points of correction. BECMI didn’t die out in the late 80s because 1e took the players. TSR didn’t end basic until the mid nineties, well into 2es run. The Rules Cylcopedia was hugely popular and that didn’t come out until 1991. The only reason basic stopped was because TSR screwed themselves into dire financial straits by the mid to late 90s.

I know the line was more or less on life support from 1989. It went from being very big in the early 80s to being rebooted every couple of years.

Most of the adventures were out by 85 the gazetters we're gone by the early 90s.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
After the Red Box there was the black box, an intro only box. It shipped at the same time as the Cyclopedia. Last one was called "The Classic D&D", in 94. I never new of the black box or the the classic set. Wikipedia says the classic set came with mini's, were they any good?

Zardnaar

Legend
After the Red Box there was the black box, an intro only box. It shipped at the same time as the Cyclopedia. Last one was called "The Classic D&D", in 94. I never new of the black box or the the classic set. Wikipedia says the classic set came with mini's, were they any good?

The last adventure was 94 IIRC in Dungeon. Years earlier they made appeals for more D&D adventures (vs AD&D).

Some of the best Dungeon adventures were D&D though.

kasi45

First Post
My two Cents to the theme:
Back in the 80s I played many expert modules and a couple of Basic modules. I think it should not be to difficult to convert it. Some modules are really good (X2, X4+X5) but I also think there is some nostalgy. Dont misunderstand me.... I like them but I think there is something to do with it.

Btw I also liked X7 - The war crafts of Kron. And to tell you: I found the campaign Setting hollow world fantastic. It is also as POD:
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/17168/Hollow-World-Campaign-Setting-Basic?it=1

The immortal box: There was a newer product named "Wrath of the immortals". It came with newer rules for immortality and it also came with a complete campaign Frame (three adventures about the war between immortals. The middle Adventure Plays a Little in the hollow world).

I am interested if someone played the following products: The master modules (there were five of them) and the blackmoor series (4 modules DA1-DA4). Anyone got experiences with this?

Sorry for my bad english, I am from Germany....

darjr

I crit!
I hadn't played much more than B2, B1 and X1. I hadn't realized how many there were. Definitely going back to look.

I've run X1 in 5e and I think the biggest issue where the rhakshasha.

Remove ads