Beefing up mounted combat for 5e

Ibn Khaldun

Explorer
Just found this thread. Nice stuff. I wonder if it would be interesting to have two different mounted paths-- one for the knight type and one for the mount archer type.

Gillywonka

First Post
Interesting topic. I was looking for more on this. I'd maybe use the STR bonus of the mount rather than the rider... or take in into account at least. One part that has been bugging me is, when i'm charging someone and moving from my charge, my target during his turn, can probably use his movement to catch up to me and wack me in the back. I need to figure that out. Oh, not to mention when you charge someone, assuming you charge, attack, then keep moving, like a knight on a horse for example, your opponent now gets an opportunity attack when you leave... i can see that part though. Anyway, I'm going to give these a go. Good info, thanks.

Ibn Khaldun

Explorer
...when you charge someone, assuming you charge, attack, then keep moving, like a knight on a horse for example, your opponent now gets an opportunity attack when you leave... i can see that part though. Anyway, I'm going to give these a go. Good info, thanks.
Which makes lances very handy as they would give you reach on that attack and maybe put you outside the range of an opportunity attack.

I was thinking about the extra damage issue and how to handle that, i.e. whether to give advantage on the damage roll (like some are suggesting) or a flat damage or something else. I was thinking that it might be useful to take the KIND of mount into consideration. I mean for a mounted warrior in melee, why would they want a heavy warhorse and not a light warhorse or even a donkey (besides the obvious hp and ac blah, blah,blah :p).

What about if a mounted combatant is able to add their mount's strength bonus to their damage when in a charge? A War Horse has a Strength bonus of +4! Of course a mounted knight would want one and see it as one of his prized possessions!

Anyway - it's a big bonus, but it's only added when charging. It's mechanically simple, and it makes sense.

Remove ads