• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Beginning the game with +1 HD of Expert

Roger

First Post
It sorta seems like too small of a change to really be worth bothering with.

But the newly-literate barbarians will be happy.

Cheers,
Roger

Felix

Explorer
NilesB said:
By requiring all characters to take their level that gets 4 times skill points as a class with fewer skill points and a shorter skill list and requiring them to waste those skills on things that don't give them the ability to fulfill their role in the party.
Sigh.

The Expert level doesn't count as their first level. They have it as, I don't know, their .5th level. Does that still kill all rogues?

Wolf72

Explorer
Roger said:
It sorta seems like too small of a change to really be worth bothering with.

But the newly-literate barbarians will be happy.

Cheers,
Roger

I'd go as far as to say that this virtuo-level won't counter any drawbacks from standard classes.

Roger

First Post
Now that I've had some time to mull this over, I think the basic idea behind this is quite similar to the way that Occupations are implemented in d20 Modern.

It might be worthwhile to review that system, and see if you can't bend it to your purposes here.

Cheers,
Roger

ThatGuyThere

Explorer
A change my group evoked for a similar reason was to give +2 Skill Points to every class (and a general widening of the class skills lists). We play an extensively social game, with lots of Bluff, Sense Motive and Diplomacy and such, and Rogues were beginning to get *overplayed* (we were Gestalt; everyone was (something) / Rogue).

But the +2 Skill Points gave every class enough to take a few "flavour" type skills - Profession, Knowledge, Craft, and so on. Rather than a "fake level", you might just consider some bonus skill points, particularly if you limit where they can go.

Dr. Confoundo

First Post
I'd second ThatGuyThere: calling this a 'level' will lead to confusion. Call it a bonus Background Feat or somesuch, or even create a set of Occupation Feats... possibly with differing amounts/types of bonuses to hp, profession skills, starting gold, etc., depending on what their occupation used to be.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I do the same having PCs choose an NPC class at level 0 (NPC levels are ECL -1 so it works out) to represent background.

PCs get a minor boost so they survive level 1 but this soon evens out

irdeggman

First Post
I had been working up something that I was thinking of submitting to Dragon, but seeing as how that is going away. . . .

It was a way to capture backgrounds in a manner similar to d20 Modern does starting occupations.

Here is what I have so far.

Attachments

• Backgrounds.pdf
    22.6 KB · Views: 91

roguerouge

First Post
You're really over-thinking the mechanics. You want them to have a background prior to their adventuring, yes? But you're worried about over-balancing things with the will saves and the hit points, yes?

Then just give them 4 skill points that they can only spend in profession or craft! Don't give them a level in expert or commoner (some PC may want to be a day laborer, after all). What you want is flavor without the headaches later on. So just give them the skill points and be done with it.

Remove ads