D&D General Being a PC in an adventure you've already GMed

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
It can be difficult to pretend to be completely ignorant, or to not mete game with your prior knowledge, but it's a lot of fun reliving a fun adventure with new people!

You just have to have the same disipline you have when playing a 1st level character, even though you've played for years, and DMed, and know all of the monster stats.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I would let the DM know and encourage them to change some things as I would with running any module for anyone regardless of whether they've played it or not.

But truthfully at my age and considering I drink while I play, there's going to be a lot of stuff I will have forgotten anyway. I'm also terrible with directions so if it's a dungeon or the like, I will definitely not recall where things are in relation to each other most of the time.

When it comes to making decisions, I just do what I always do: "Yes, and..." If someone makes a suggestion, I accept it and add to it.

aco175

Legend
Some depends on how well you know all that are playing. Tell the DM regardless, but you can tell or not tell the other players depending on how well you know them. I feel that some may look to you to help them since you know the dungeon or you get to play dumb if they do not know you played it before.

You can help the DM if needed on that side. If the DM is kind of new, you can help with things like initiative or something unless it starts to take away from that side of the table. Some people can be sensitive to this kind of help.

You do get to make a PC that fits with the adventure.

this happened a lot back in the early 1E days, when published adventures were still kinda sparse. The only one I recall for me was running through B2, as a fighter/thief in the back of the party. Wanted so bad to warn the others about the pit trap in the kobold lair, but didn't... and everyone but me and my thief buddy (also banished to the back rank) fell in...

MarkB

Legend
I have to disagree with that. Once the other players know you have insider info, they won't stop asking for hints and clues. It's happened to me too many times to count. Better to just not make decisions.
There is that, but not participating in the decision-making can lead to other players thinking you're not taking an interest, or if they cotton on that you know something they may think you've been checking out spoilers to get an edge.

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
There is that, but not participating in the decision-making can lead to other players thinking you're not taking an interest, or if they cotton on that you know something they may think you've been checking out spoilers to get an edge.

I see you're point, but there are ways to skirt around that. "Gee I'm not sure, what you you think Joe?"

MarkB

Legend
I see you're point, but there are ways to skirt around that. "Gee I'm not sure, what you you think Joe?"
Sure, but now you're deliberately deceiving your fellow players, which doesn't seem particularly healthy, or fair.

Also, I'm just imagining a game in which each of the players have advised the DM, but not each other, that they have prior experience of the campaign.

"Gee I'm not sure, what you you think Joe?"
"Gosh, I don't really know either. Maybe Fred has a suggestion?"
"Sorry, I'm going to defer to Tim's judgement on this one."

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
Sure, but now you're deliberately deceiving your fellow players, which doesn't seem particularly healthy, or fair.

Also, I'm just imagining a game in which each of the players have advised the DM, but not each other, that they have prior experience of the campaign.

"Gee I'm not sure, what you you think Joe?"
"Gosh, I don't really know either. Maybe Fred has a suggestion?"
"Sorry, I'm going to defer to Tim's judgement on this one."

Yea, in that case, the DM should choose a different adventure.:)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I should note that yes, of course, I have told the DM. He doesn't mind. I'm just worried about not having fun (or diminishing the fun of others).

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
You know, I just thought of something. I don't play my NPCs as all-knowing. The evil mastermind sure knows most things, but the great majority of NPCs are not mastermind - they make mistakes, they don't know about certain things, they can be fooled etc etc.

I just have to play my PC as an NPC adventurer in Drakkenheim - sure they know a thing or two, but a lot they don't. I'm also intentionally making him an "outsider" , i.e. not a local - he's never been to Drakkenheim before, and probably also making him someone from outside the kingdom.

Remove ads