Level Up (A5E) Belt of Hill Giant Strength

OK, this is a trivial-level question, but: Is there a reason that the Belt of Hill Giant Strength grants 20 Str instead of 21? All the other giant strength belts give odd values corresponding to their equivalents from O5E (23/25/27/29).

It makes no difference for the strength bonus granted (+5), but it does have a minor effect when applied to the barbarian's Indomitable Strength and the berserker's Reliable Might, both of which allow you to use your strength score for any check that rolls less than that score. (I'm not sure if there are other features which also use that mechanic.)

The potions of giant strength have the same quirk. The hill giant potion gives 20 Str, while the rest (other than frost giant, which gives 22; note that the frost giant belt gives 23 strength) give the usual odd scores.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Another difference: A hill giant can carry 1260 lbs. and drag/lift 2520 lbs. With this belt, you can carry 300 lbs. and drag/lift 600 lbs.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
1676066302118.png

Hmm. So the hill giant's strength changed from O5E, thus the belt strength value changed. Just changes the question, I suppose, but it at least explains the item. I find a change in the monster's stats less confusing, since they're likely built off of some mathematical balance calculation.

On the other hand, the frost giant's strength is 22, but the frost giant belt strength value is 23 — the strength of the frost giant in O5E. But the potion gives 22 strength.

The correspondance with the giants' strengths suggests the frost giant belt's strength value is a typo, then.

Remove ads