Ben Riggs Releases Historical Sales Numbers for D&D Settings

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I remember buying Greyhawk Adventures and Dragonlance Adventures for six bucks each at shop that also had the Wilderness and Dungeoneer's Survival Guides at that price. Unfortunately, I had already paid full price for both the survival guides. Worse still, a while later I'd return to that store and see them all marked down to $4 each!
Half Price Books around 2000 definitely had multiple copies of Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Oriental Adventures on their shelves around here. I ended up buying the ones I was missing then. I remember Ryan Dancey saying that TSR had a warehouse full of old AD&D 1e books in a warehouse as one example of them not thinking about their money (why are you paying to warehouse books you're not selling and have no intention of selling?) and I've assumed that Wizards sold off that warehouse full of stuff for pennies on the dollar just to get it off the books and that's where those books came from.

(These charts now make me wonder how many of those books were actually returns on those titles. Yeesh.)

Mezuka

Hero
No, the blue line was the OD&D Greyhawk supplement.

Edit: or actually, that does seem to be the Folio....
I think you are correct. It's the OD&D Greyhawk supplement. The Folio is weirdly missing from the graphic. Wiki "However, Gygax's The World of Greyhawk (TSR 9025) did not hit store shelves until August 1980"

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think you are correct. It's the OD&D Greyhawk supplement. The Folio is weirdly missing from the graphic. Wiki "However, Gygax's The World of Greyhawk (TSR 9025) did not hit store shelves until August 1980"
Maybe that's not what the RSR accounts actually showed, and they counted retailer orders from 1979? That actually makes more sense than a revival of the OD&F book like 4 or 6 years in.

Davies

Legend
The only one I ever owned firsthand was From the Ashes, interestingly, having been introduced to Greyhawk through a copy of the Greyhawk Wars wargame I received as a Christmas present; my copies of World of Greyhawk and Oriental Adventures were bought second hand, years later. That the latter continued to have some sales into the early 2e era is consistent with what I thought was happening, back then.

I've assumed that Wizards sold off that warehouse full of stuff for pennies on the dollar just to get it off the books and that's where those books came from.
I'd assumed WotC pulped the lot because doing that was a better investment than spending time and effort trying to find anyone who'd buy the things even at fire sale prices, and that anything in clearance bookshops in the 2000s had probably been there for years, or was a hand-me-down from some other bookshop or game store who couldn't shift it.

darjr

I crit!
I'd assumed WotC pulped the lot because doing that was a better investment than spending time and effort trying to find anyone who'd buy the things even at fire sale prices, and that anything in clearance bookshops in the 2000s had probably been there for years, or was a hand-me-down from some other bookshop or game store who couldn't shift it.
I sure would like to know though.

You’re probably right

Mezuka

Hero
Agreed. Shredding inventory is expensive but less expensive than immobilizing warehouse space that could be used for current products.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases