Ben Riggs Releases Historical Sales Numbers for D&D Settings

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What's the update for today for those of us without Twitter?
Dragonlance and Manual of the Planes today, Forgotten Realms and Spelljammer tomorrow:

FXeiez7WAAErgS9.jpeg
FXeip67XEAAlW0E.jpeg
FXei0yIWYAMxAaD.jpeg

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I remember buying Greyhawk Adventures and Dragonlance Adventures for six bucks each at shop that also had the Wilderness and Dungeoneer's Survival Guides at that price. Unfortunately, I had already paid full price for both the survival guides. Worse still, a while later I'd return to that store and see them all marked down to $4 each!
When I signed up for the RPGA in the mid-late 90s, they were actually giving the Dungeoneer's Survival Guide and the Wilderness Survival Guide away as freebies to new members. I recall being quite surprised at being given two hardcovers in exchange for signing up, especially since joining the RPGA was itself free!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
... I'm genuinely stunned by this. I mean, if you add in the adventures, I suspect the picture must be utterly opposite, but ...
Probably not, considering that allegedly the best selling Modiles were the Gygax Greyhawk originals (at least that's my understanding). WotC said as recently as 2015/2016 that Greyhawk was still the (distant) second most popular published Setting for people to play in.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I think you are correct. It's the OD&D Greyhawk supplement. The Folio is weirdly missing from the graphic. Wiki "However, Gygax's The World of Greyhawk (TSR 9025) did not hit store shelves until August 1980"
Yup. Ben and Jon Peterson had an exchange in the comments on this on Ben's FB confirming it. The numbers for the 1980 folio are completely missing.

Edit: To clarify, I mean missing from Ben's data, at least. Jon's comment was too brief to confirm whether anyone else might be known to have that data.

Last edited:

Remove ads