• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Berserker Fury (Heroes of the Feywild)

mneme

Explorer
[MENTION=10503]Oldtimer[/MENTION]: I didn't claim anything -- I was just rephrasing the advice so it made more sense in the context of how the rules work. You can, of course use primal powers when you're not in Berserker Fury -- but not without entering BF.

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
[MENTION=10503]Oldtimer[/MENTION]: I didn't claim anything -- I was just rephrasing the advice so it made more sense in the context of how the rules work. You can, of course use primal powers when you're not in Berserker Fury -- but not without entering BF.
I'm utterly confused now. You rephrased it as "you cannot use (your) non-martial powers when you are not under the influence of your Berserker's Fury". Primal powers are non-martial powers. Ergo, by your rephrasing I should not be able to use primal powers while not in Berserker Fury.

I think the best thing is just to ignore that whole passage.

Another question appeared while reading Berserker Fury. My at-wills gain the Primal keyword. Whatever for? I fail to see how that changes anything. Is that just flavour? Odd, since 4E is not normally keen on non-mechanical flavour.

mneme

Explorer
OT: whatever. It's obvious what they meant even though they took a terrible way of saying it.

Regarding at wills, well, they say they are. And it's mechanical flavor, not non-mechanical, and certainly has an effect in some situations -- the Primal Vampire, Primal Fury, Spirits of Stone, Staggering Smash, and Predatory Spirit feats all trigger off primal powers, as does the Cavern Explorer's weapon.

Regardless, it's simply not even worth trying to figure out what they're doing, as they state it on the can. The Berserker is a barbarian who is a Martial Defender until she decides to rage (by using a primal power or spending a minor action while bloodied) -- and then she's a Primal Striker. So by default, all powers she can/wants to use as a defender are martial, and all powers she can (and wants to) use as a striker are primal -- and the dual nature of her at wills is part of this.

It still doesn't make a lot of sense.

You can use Primal powers without triggering fury. Just not Barbarian powers.

"When you use a barbarian primal attack power, you enter your Berserker Fury until the end of the encounter. Alternatively, you can use a minor action while you are bloodied to enter the fury. The fury has the following effects. "

So power swapping for a Warden daily is fine, as are theme powers. Technically not even Paragon Path Powers will trigger.

I guess it really makes no sense.

There are some sentences in HotfK that make no sense too:
scout (ranger): Chose light blade mastery if you want to be more defendery (and no single feature or power makes you more defendery)

Aegyptus

First Post
Very Bad Wording

Additionally, since you can use martial powers only when you are not under the influence of your Berserker Fury, you should consider multiclassing into one of the Strength- or Dexterity-based martial classes and picking up or swapping in a power from that class.

The original text here is terrible phrasing, it is just trying to point out that you can use the martial barbarian powers without triggering your Berserker's Fury.

It should really say something more like:
..since you can use martial powers [without activating your] Berserker Fury, you should consider ...

If they meant for the martial powers to only be used while not under the Fury they would probably have put that rather important note under the Berserker Fury class feature description and not in the advice text.

By the way I just got done playing a Berserker built to be a defender at an RPGA convention all weekend and they make superb defenders! The idea of kicking in the fury right away sounds terrible to me, just make a normal barbarian if you want to be a striker. If you take the Arid Desert AC/REF bonus for being unarmored, and unarmored agility feat, you end up with Paladin AC with no armor and shield, freeing up your off hand to hold a nice two-handed weapon, in my case a Greatspear for the +3 prof. bonus and reach. Too bad theres no way to enlarge the defender aura!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads