Level Up (A5E) Berzerker Furious critical interaction

Huntedown

Villager
Last night we got into a conundrum
Some of the berzerker Furious Critical state that it can be combined with other furious critical.
We know that each Furious Critical can only be used once.
Would those furious critical work as a chain until its broken or when it says that: 'This furious critical can be combined with any other' means only 1 other?
The only case of an exclusive Furious critical is Relentless attack.

Ex:
Zerker crit
Use Terriying Force (can be combine with any other) Fear effect
Use Furious Momentum (can be combine with any other) Next attack has a cti range of 17-20
Use Jockeying Blow (can be combine with any other) move 30 ft
Then use Deafing Blow: Creature is deafened for 1/2 prof rounds

So the Berzerker crit, everyone in 60ft has to make a wisdom ST vs fear, the his next attack this round has a crit range of 17-20, the he get a free move up to 30 ft without triggering an AOO, lastly that target that got crit is deaf.

Would that work like that?

xiphumor

Legend
Last night we got into a conundrum
Some of the berzerker Furious Critical state that it can be combined with other furious critical.
We know that each Furious Critical can only be used once.
Would those furious critical work as a chain until its broken or when it says that: 'This furious critical can be combined with any other' means only 1 other?
The only case of an exclusive Furious critical is Relentless attack.

Ex:
Zerker crit
Use Terriying Force (can be combine with any other) Fear effect
Use Furious Momentum (can be combine with any other) Next attack has a cti range of 17-20
Use Jockeying Blow (can be combine with any other) move 30 ft
Then use Deafing Blow: Creature is deafened for 1/2 prof rounds

So the Berzerker crit, everyone in 60ft has to make a wisdom ST vs fear, the his next attack this round has a crit range of 17-20, the he get a free move up to 30 ft without triggering an AOO, lastly that target that got crit is deaf.

Would that work like that?
Only one furious critical can be used per attack. You can combine Terrifying Force with the first attack from Relentless Attack, but not any of the subsequent attacks, even if they’re crits in their own right. So you can only get a double effect on the first attack in the chain.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
That's not entirely accurate.

Furious Critical​

Also at 2nd level you learn to maximize the effects of your mightiest blows, empowering your critical hits. Choose one Furious Critical. At 4th level and every even berserker level after, you learn an additional Furious Critical.

Simple damage isn’t all that a berserker can deal in combat. With just the right application of force, a berserker can inflict a number of conditions on their opponent. Unless otherwise noted, the DC to resist such effects is equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier. The attack must use a melee weapon that has the Heavy, Two-Handed, or Versatile property. Each Furious Critical can only be taken once and only one Furious Critical can be used per critical hit, unless otherwise stated.
Terrifying Force can be used with any other Furious Critical. So you roll your nat 20 and do Overbearing Strike you can ALSO do Terrifying Force.

Another example of specific rule breaking is Knockdown Strike. Which you can take twice (instead of only once) and combine it with Overbearing Strike after you've spent an extra "Slot" on it.

So yes. It is possible to stack all the "Works with other Furious Criticals" together, RAW. However I think RAI only one "Additional" furious critical is expected to be applied.

That said, it's your table to do with as you like. Make it only one, make it all of them, whatever you like.

So yes. It is possible to stack all the "Works with other Furious Criticals" together, RAW. However I think RAI only one "Additional" furious critical is expected to be applied.
i'd say it doesn't, actually - the specific phrasing is "The effects of this Furious Critical can be combined with any other" - even if you put two together that both have that phrasing, you can't keep stacking because you've already combined it with another furious critical.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
i'd say it doesn't, actually - the specific phrasing is "The effects of this Furious Critical can be combined with any other" - even if you put two together that both have that phrasing, you can't keep stacking because you've already combined it with another furious critical.
That... is a -very- good point.

It doesn't say "Any others" or "All others" it says "any other" singular. Definitely agree, there.

Savannah Broadway

Managing the Gate Pass Gazette
Berserker designer here, late to the party! That is in fact the intended reading.

Huntedown

Villager
From the debate what I understand out of it, is that: As long that one of the furious critcal allow to be combine with any other you can; unless like in the case of Relentless attack where you can't combine this one with any other.
And the intent was to allow up to (2) furious critical to be combine with a crit.
Or am I misuderstood something (damn you english being a second language)

Savannah Broadway

Managing the Gate Pass Gazette
Thanks for clarifying. Just wanted to say thank you for designing the most interesting 5e martial class, period. The berserker rules, and in my opinion sets the standard for martial class design.
Why thank you, that means a lot! Berserkers and their various iterations are my favorite to play, so I'm glad I was able to do them justice.

Remove ads