• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Besides D&D, what are you playing?

Nebulous

Legend
Well the session of Dungeon World went really well. Four new players, perfect amount, and I had a little familiarity with the rules and combat from prior practice. A lot of the beginning part was setting up character sheets and all that. I had wanted it done ahead of time, but players have lives and kids and whatnot, so we had to do a lot of that session zero.

They got all the way to the forsaken plateau and ruined monastery and fought flaming skeletons and flying flame skulls. We just need more practice to get into the ebb and flow of combat (and consequences of failed rolls and I have to introduce a move and grant XP) but all in all we really enjoyed it.

The only drawback is we can only play once a month due to them being in lots of other games. But I had a bunch planned so the second session is kinda done, but I have a month to tweak it :)

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Dungeon World isn't a ton of work to plan either, especially compared to D&D, so you'll be swell. Good it hear it went well though.

Nebulous

Legend
Dungeon World isn't a ton of work to plan either, especially compared to D&D, so you'll be swell. Good it hear it went well though.

That's true, but I'm running it in Roll20 with dynamic lighting dungeons, so anything I can't find premade I will have to build myself.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
That's true, but I'm running it in Roll20 with dynamic lighting dungeons, so anything I can't find premade I will have to build myself.
Hmm, yeah Roll20 adds some work back in. Never used it myself, I find the prospect of prepping for it a little intimidating. I have trouble finding time to prep for a normal table game most weeks.

Aldarc

Legend
Well the session of Dungeon World went really well. Four new players, perfect amount, and I had a little familiarity with the rules and combat from prior practice. A lot of the beginning part was setting up character sheets and all that. I had wanted it done ahead of time, but players have lives and kids and whatnot, so we had to do a lot of that session zero.

They got all the way to the forsaken plateau and ruined monastery and fought flaming skeletons and flying flame skulls. We just need more practice to get into the ebb and flow of combat (and consequences of failed rolls and I have to introduce a move and grant XP) but all in all we really enjoyed it.

The only drawback is we can only play once a month due to them being in lots of other games. But I had a bunch planned so the second session is kinda done, but I have a month to tweak it :)
I would love to hear your experiences running it or a session recap.

Nebulous

Legend
Hmm, yeah Roll20 adds some work back in. Never used it myself, I find the prospect of prepping for it a little intimidating. I have trouble finding time to prep for a normal table game most weeks.
I thought so too at first, but it's really quite easy once you understand the layers. It's literally just outlining the walls with the pen tool. Click, click, click, the lines connect and you right click what you drew to set it.

Remove ads