Besides D&D, what are you playing?

We only have time for one RPG, so D&D it is. However, we play just about every board game and card game we can get our hands on, along with video games. We also frequently subscribe to WoW, but are on a hiatus right now while we are in the midst of buying another house/moving/selling our current house. This lockdown, though, is having us question this decision.

univoxs

That's my dog, Walter
Supporter
We do a kind of rotating GM thing. We'll be pausing our 5e game soon to go back to WEG Star Wars for a while.

I am interested to know if you are using the anniversary edition\1st edition, or the later edition stuff with the expanded rules.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
I am interested to know if you are using the anniversary edition\1st edition, or the later edition stuff with the expanded rules.
Mostly the old 1e stuff, but the GM has some of his own house rules he's adapted over the years. We basically use the Top Secret S.I. wound system, for example.

how is genesis? did you try Fate?

I did try fate (in the form of the Dresden Files RPG). I just couldn't get into it - just didn't fit what I wanted in an RPG I think. It looks to be a fantastic system... just not for me. I think the Aspects and fate point economy just was too different from traditional approach for me.

Genesys really works for me. Character building is fairly traditional (stats, skills, "feats") but the die rolls give narrative ability when rolled. There are 3 different axis the dice can have results in - Success/Failure, Benefit/Complication and Special benefit or special complication. So you can succeed, but end up in a worse place, fail but have good things happen - (both success and benefit can be cancelled by their opposites). The Special success or failure cannot be cancelled - so they are an extra level. And if you roll special advantage and special complication you get both - and the player (or players, or both and GM) figure out the narrative effects of what came out.

Remove ads