Besides D&D, what are you playing?

atanakar

Hero
You have me intrigued. Is the quickstart a good intro to the game?

I have two D&D campaigns going, but my next campaign is going to be:
1. Shorter - Under 100 hours of playtime; and
2. Not D&D - may be several adventures in different systems to see what is fun for us.

You can read my humble Coriolis campaign journal here:

pemerton

Legend
I’ve found my copy and I’ll be checking it out.

I think that when it comes to character creation, I kind of like to have a system in place for how to do so because it would actually be several players making characters rather than just me. Having a set process helps when you have multiple people following the process.
It definitely lends itself to pre-gens!

If you do get to the stage you've set out in your post, I'd say pay particular attention to Milestones. (The systems version of Bonds/Ideals/Flaws.) Those are where there is significant scope for a player to express a vision for a character.

In our fifth session of Blades in the Dark, Scotch visited her lover and got into a random brawl, then spent part of her ill-gotten gains to make diplomatic overtures to Captain Ankhayat, one of the Leviathan Hunters.

Later, she rejoined the group to help them track down a member of the ghost-summoning cult. Together, the crew questioned the cultist Rabby at a student lodging-house in Nightmarket, learning that they served a being known as The Whispering Tree. The arrival of a pair of Sparkwrights ended the interrogation, and the crew had to make a getaway, scrambling over balconies and tossing debris and dog snacks behind them as the Bluecoats pursued. Only the appearance of the ghost Lieutenant Lu (summoned by Karen) saved them.

Now the crew must regroup and figure out the next stage of their Nightmarket mission. But a new entanglement with the unquiet dead looms...

In terms of game mechanics, the crew had to bail out on their score partway, so I decided to give them a downtime and some rep for at least solving part of the mystery (who is summoning ghosts to attack the rail station?) - but if they want payment from the Rail Jacks for stopping the attacks, they need to find a way to deal with the cult without angering the cult's Sparkwright allies (as the Sparkwrights already hate the crew and are on the brink of war with them).

Bluenose

Adventurer
I've nearly finished my Pirates of Drinax campaign, though the lockdown has stopped it completing satisfactorily. It won't take more than a session or two to finish things off though. The other campaign we were playing of The One Ring is also likely to finish soon. I imagine we'll switch to two other campaigns. Personally I'm hoping to run Paladin, the Pendragon spin-off; and the other campaign that seems to have traction is a fantasy sailors game in an archipelago with pirates and natives - a bit Pillars of Eternity II - probably with Mythras.

Nebulous

Legend
So, I have two different groups going through Cinder Queen. The Group A can only get together once a month. Group B, however, looks like it might be weekly until the conclusion, so it will quickly outstrip Group A plotwise. That's fine actually, because it is taking a helluva lot of work in Roll20 to build maps for this adventure, so I might as well get double duty out of them. And change things around for the fun of it.

Remove ads