Besides D&D, what are you playing?

A couple of reports on recent games:

In Blades in the Dark, our crew had to track down a Skovland smuggling ship that had been captured by the Imperium during the Unity War. Their investigation led them to Lady Sternwall's talk on naval battles of the war in Charterhall University, which was rudely interrupted by a Skovland extremist's assassination attempt on the historian. The crew blew out the lights, summoned a ghost to deal with the attacker, and sent Scotch swinging heroically down from a balcony to rescue Lady Sternwall, ripping the historian's bodice in the process. Now, Scotch is a reluctant heroine of the hour, invited to tea by the smitten Lady Sternwall, and the crew plans to use the distraction to burgle the lady's manor...

Also, last night in the CDG SOUTHERN GOTHIC session, our DELTA GREEN agents brought on a new team member, cleaned up a dead agent's unfinished business, and learned that a "resurrection" spell is never a good thing in this genre!

And half the team caught fire. Play with gas, get burned. Especially if you decide to unscrew the caps of 20 gasoline cannisters ahead of time in preparation for arson, then get jumped by a resurrected horror.

Nebulous

Legend
For Dungeon World, I took a screenshot from the module, the caldera from Hvitr's Horn, and photoshopped it into a climatic battlemap. Ideally, the mystic seal will crack and open and drop the PCs into Ellorash, the elemental fire realm, where they will have to somehow continue the quest. By then they should have an artifact to keep them alive in the inferno.

bF7idNj.jpg

IMG_20200512_065243_514.jpg

In Session 8 of our Blades in the Dark campaign, Scotch and Zhao enjoyed liqueurs and a magic lantern show at Lady Sternwall's mansion as they tried to find out the fate of the Skovlan blockade runner Spiny Turtle during the war. Then an unexpected guest came up the street to call on Sternwall Mansion - Zhao's archenemy Edward, the Imperial Military Intelligence agent! It fell to the junior members of the crew, Sacred Karen and Irfan, to distract, bamboozle, and brutally mug the arrogant spy. Meanwhile, Zhao panicked and made a terrifying desperate escape through the backyard of Sternwall Mansion, where he barely escaped a ghost attack!

atanakar

Hero
Romance of the Perilous Land by Osprey Games. Streamlined, elegant and simple design for adventures in a mythic England that never was. d20 roll equal or under your Attribute. Characters take 10 minutes to create. I've been looking for a non-OSR and non-LOTR inspired fantasy game with a vibrant setting for a year. This is it.

PabloM

Adventurer
Romance of the Perilous Land by Osprey Games. Streamlined, elegant and simple design for adventures in a mythic England that never was. d20 roll equal or under your Attribute. Characters take 10 minutes to create. I've been looking for a non-OSR and non-LOTR inspired fantasy game with a vibrant setting for a year. This is it.

Have you played it yet?

Retreater

Legend
Currently, I'm running two weekly D&D5e games and one biweekly PF2 game on Roll20. Before the pandemic hit, I was running WHFRPG, Savage Rifts, and Dungeon World. I hope to get back to playing/running more diverse games in the future.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
No. But I'm running a solitaire game with four characters soon, to test the system before I show it to the group.
That's some commitment right there. Have a cookie. 🍪

I do love messing about with rules sets and the like though. Running a bunch of characters through some encounters just to see how it goes is very much my speed. I'm interested to here how your group takes to the rules.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, up thread I mentioned an Ashen Stars game I was running might wrap up. Well, it did. Honestly, we lost so much momentum due to social distancing and other issues that the final session never happened. The group did agree, however, that they wanted to move on to something else.

First, one of the players is running a bit of Don't Rest Your Head - in which you play characters so fatigued by insomnia that they break through into the land of dreams and nightmares. This game usually doesn't run for too long - characters either resolve the issues that caused their insomnia and return to normal life, crash fast asleep so that the nightmares catch them, or go mad and become a nightmare themselves...

That's intended to give me some time to build out a new game. Of what? I dunno yet. I don't expect it to be D&D, though, as most of the players get that in other places. I'll probably do a little ranked choice voting of options for them.

Remove ads