Besides D&D, what are you playing?

JohnSnow

Hero
What kind of game do you have in mind? is it Medieval Fantasy?
I'll probably throw a medieval fantasy game together eventually, but the fact that me (and several of my players!) study European Martial Arts as a hobby means that I always have to house rule weapons and armor a bit.

I think I might start with either a pulp adventure or some kind of sci-fi setting. Savage Worlds supports a lot of very weird concepts. ;)

ccs

41st lv DM
Looks like we'll definitely be playing some Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader RPG. Probably starting in about a month.
It's going to alternate with our Sunday PF game.
No idea how the PF & RT DMs intend to determine the split - every other week? Every other month? A chapter/Lv of the PF AP, then an equal bit of RT? Phases of the moon? Flip of a coin each week?

Given who's going to be the RT game-master though I also predict this won't be much of a concern for long.....
I give the RT experiment under 7 sessions before it fizzles out.

hawkeyefan

Legend
So my current slate of GMing has shifted a bit. We were playing a Blades in the Dark game by post through Discord, using the Bluecoats playset. That has since become the main game we play in our weekly Discord session. So no more play by post for that.

However, one player can’t make it for the time being, and so he and I are playing a soli game by post. It’s a bit odd because the PCs in the Bluecoat game are investigating the gang of PCs from an earlier game, and now the solo game is one PC acting on the gang’s orders to tie up loose ends.

This was all at the request of the players. They wanted their earlier PCs to be the antagonists and the solo player wanted his story to be connected to the others. I think the result is a game that’s a little more predetermined in some areas compared to how I’d expect Blades to go most of the time, but not as drastically so as I had worried.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Current slate of games is shifting.

Next Monday will be the last Freebooters on the Frontier game for as the GM prepares to combine the two Freebooters games he is running into a West Marches style game. This might take about a month. The GM is a high school teacher and now is a really busy time for him.

Mork Borg is still going strong, but we are at 5/7 signs of the Apocalypse. We will be doing something else once the world ends. My hope is The Nightmares Underneath.

The Lancer game I run biweekly is starting to reach a crescendo. We are 5 sessions in. I think we might have another 5 sessions in this season. Once it runs its course I will probably try to run something else for this group. Right now I think Legend of the Five Rings might be on the table.

We started a biweekly Vampire game using a friend's custom hack that combines elements from Classic World of Darkness, New World of Darkness, Blades in the Dark, and Classic Deadlands. It's been a lot of fun so far.

coolAlias

Explorer
I'll probably throw a medieval fantasy game together eventually, but the fact that me (and several of my players!) study European Martial Arts as a hobby means that I always have to house rule weapons and armor a bit.
I'd be interested in hearing some of your house rules (in another thread, perhaps) if you wouldn't mind sharing.

For myself, I've been running and playing D&D 5e exclusively the last few years, but recently stumbled on HackMaster and find the combat/initiative system intriguing enough that I kind of want to give it a try.

Bravesteel25

Baronet of Gaming
I'd be interested in hearing some of your house rules (in another thread, perhaps) if you wouldn't mind sharing.

For myself, I've been running and playing D&D 5e exclusively the last few years, but recently stumbled on HackMaster and find the combat/initiative system intriguing enough that I kind of want to give it a try.

Hackmaster 5E is probably my favorite fantasy RPG, but I will say that there is a lot more pressure on the GM to both keep the system running in terms of round calculations, and keeping up the tempo of combat. It is also hard to find in stores which might turn a lot of people off.

coolAlias

Explorer
Hackmaster 5E is probably my favorite fantasy RPG, but I will say that there is a lot more pressure on the GM to both keep the system running in terms of round calculations, and keeping up the tempo of combat. It is also hard to find in stores which might turn a lot of people off.
I'm glad to hear that - I downloaded the free basic rules last week and am way too excited about it... it really seems to capture that gritty/low-magic version of D&D that I've always wanted but could never find.

Speaking of which, there was a Kickstarter a while back called Iskloft that I backed and is supposedly going to finally be shipped in the next few months, which is a gritty / low-magic viking setting with D&D 5e rules as the base but all new classes and a different magic system. I'm also super pumped about that.

Remove ads