Besides D&D, what are you playing?

JohnSnow

Hero
I'd be interested in hearing some of your house rules (in another thread, perhaps) if you wouldn't mind sharing.

I'll happy to cover the details in another thread, but pretty much it involves rewriting the armor list to better reflect the effectiveness (and reality) of real-world armors. As well as some slight tweaks to the weapons list. I always have to do this to D&D too, so it's nothing new. But when your gaming group is comprised largely of HEMA nerds, the inaccuracies in the system hurt suspension of disbelief.

Yeah, I know. It's a world with dragons and beholders. But longswords actually make great weapons for weaker characters, gambesons were awesome, and studded leather doesn't exist.

It's mostly stuff like that.

So my current slate of GMing has shifted a bit. We were playing a Blades in the Dark game by post through Discord, using the Bluecoats playset. That has since become the main game we play in our weekly Discord session. So no more play by post for that.

However, one player can’t make it for the time being, and so he and I are playing a soli game by post. It’s a bit odd because the PCs in the Bluecoat game are investigating the gang of PCs from an earlier game, and now the solo game is one PC acting on the gang’s orders to tie up loose ends.

This was all at the request of the players. They wanted their earlier PCs to be the antagonists and the solo player wanted his story to be connected to the others. I think the result is a game that’s a little more predetermined in some areas compared to how I’d expect Blades to go most of the time, but not as drastically so as I had worried.
It's not predetermined, it's still player-driven! It's just that it's driven by players in a different group, like the recent Friends at the Table Beam Saber double campaign. :)

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I also finally managed to get into a Monster of the Week game. X-Files, Supernatural, the Dresden Files - that's all very much my jam, and I finally get to play (which for me is more exciting than running it, as I almost always GM these days).

Bluenose

Adventurer
We're still playing the BoL and HQ:G games I've mentioned earlier in the thread, but last night we rolled up characters for a Mongoose Traveller 2nd edition campaign that one of the regular players (and only occasional GMs) wants to run. My Professor of Engineering (455DF6! with 3 skill ranks in Engineering, Gravitics, Electronics and Computer and 4 in Robotics) is hoping for something that involves little combat and plenty of things needing fixing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The Ghost Planets game I was playing in folded over scheduling issues. The GM was trying to schedule ad hoc a day or two before the session, and that didn't work out.

He's trying more long-range planning now, and picking up with a Space: 1889 game using Fate Accelerated. He's also mentioned Star Trek Adventures as a possibility - it is a game I picked up in a recent Humble Bundle sale, and haven't gone over yet myself, though I've heard it is decent.

ccs

41st lv DM
Looks like we'll definitely be playing some Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader RPG. Probably starting in about a month.
It's going to alternate with our Sunday PF game.
No idea how the PF & RT DMs intend to determine the split - every other week? Every other month? A chapter/Lv of the PF AP, then an equal bit of RT? Phases of the moon? Flip of a coin each week?

Given who's going to be the RT game-master though I also predict this won't be much of a concern for long.....
I give the RT experiment under 7 sessions before it fizzles out.

Well.
My prediction of 7 sessions or less was horribly accurate. We didn't even make it to session 0/character generation! :(

We intentionally wrapped up the PF session 45 minutes early in order to discuss the RT details. And the guy set to run it announces that he's not feeling he can commit to running it afterall.... And throws the ball into my court.

So, NEW PLAN:
It'll be 5e, 1st lv, & the action will pick up based on something the players in my Thur 5e game set in motion but walked away from.
Why 5e & why that? Because I all ready have it prepped and won't need it for Thursdays.
Still fuzzy on what the exact rotation schedule will be though....

Bravesteel25

Baronet of Gaming
My Star Wars game dissolved. One player got busy in his personal life and needed to bow out. Another two players are a little jaded when it comes to Star Wars right now and they asked to stop the campaign where we were at.

Now I'm plotting Traveller shenanigans. It is my favorite SF RPG, and probably my favorite RPG (even over D&D) so there is good with the bad.

Remove ads