Besides D&D, what are you playing?

Boardgames.

I picked up the Dune boardgame (marvellous) on a whim last December (rare for me), and was like, where have you been all my life.

As I have been disillusioned with the direction of 5th Ed since release (love the debut), I find my interest wandering, so am totally back into BGs (so much goodness in the last 20 years I have missed out on, and am now catching up).

aramis erak

Legend
Boardgames.

I picked up the Dune boardgame (marvellous) on a whim last December (rare for me), and was like, where have you been all my life.

As I have been disillusioned with the direction of 5th Ed since release (love the debut), I find my interest wandering, so am totally back into BGs (so much goodness in the last 20 years I have missed out on, and am now catching up).
The Dune boardgame is almost identical to the 1970's AH version, but tightened up and with nicer components. I'm hoping the Spice Harvest supplement is rereleased. The 10 turn limit is nice.

The Dune boardgame is almost identical to the 1970's AH version, but tightened up and with nicer components. I'm hoping the Spice Harvest supplement is rereleased. The 10 turn limit is nice.

Total, I know, I instantly got the original 1979 edition (worm cover) and The Duel and Spice Harvest expansions; I also got some custom made Minis/Tokens (forces, including the new Ixian & Tleilaxu expansion) and an enlarged neoprene mat (the board) from Etsy.

Last edited:

LightStriker

CEO Code of Light Games
I'm a bit bias here, but I'm playing my new franchise. And it's taken over my gaming group with my married friends, and also my elementary and middle school nephews who started with D&D.

I've created a whole new IP filled with all kinds of characters, a brand new world, stories, and game rules.
If you like comics, anime, and retro 80's & 90's cartoons, you might want to check it out.
There's free stories available, and game modules you can read & play now.

lightstrikersrpg.com

Love & respect,
D

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
So, the Mandalorian Season 2 premier on on October 30th. That got me to break out my 1e and 2e R&E WEG Star Wars books. I'd forgotten just how brilliant 1e was (especially if you go from the view point that it came out in 1987! It's over 30 year old!!). Oh, sure. It had some quirks and a few spotty rules. But, man, does it capture the films for me.

As such, when my best bud moves back home in October, we're gonna do a few one shots and possibly a small campaign.
Mando.jpg

pemerton

Legend
We played a session of Classic Traveller today, over Zoom. It's the first Traveller session since lockdown began.

I've linked above to the full write-up: the summary version is that the PCs fled from the Imperial Navy in a "salvaged" alien vessel (kidnapping a naval oficer in the process) and travelled to an ice world, on the very frontier of the Imperium, where they are hoping to find remnants or ruins of a 2 billion year old, psionically-gifted, alien civilisation.

aramis erak

Legend
Running 3 different systems weekly...
Vaesen (Fria Ligan, year zero engine)
a 2d20 system playtest item. (Modiphius, 2d20)
Monarchies of Mau (Onyx Path, canis minor system.)

After two sessions, my reaction to Canis Minor is that it solves some of my issues with D&D 5e... but has its own.
Solve 1: "can suffer 3 failures before dying" and "one success stabilizes", as well as death saves being DC15 Con
Solve 2: no fixed progression path in classes
Solve 3: spell point system
new problem 1: I'm not fond of "advance when GM says to".
new problem 2: some spells actually less clear than their 5E
Difference: 10 levels instead of 20
Difference: Fortune points and piles.
Difference: initiative handoff rather than rotation by roll.

The fortune points are nice, and replace inspiration; Dogs always pool, cats may pool or keep separate.
A point can...
Reroll any 1 die
cast 1 spell known by the character
seize the initiative as an interrupt

It's a nice 5E variation.

Remove ads