Besides RPGs and Video Games, What Do You Do For Fun?

R_J_K75

Legend
My backs been on the fritz for about two months. I just played my guitar for the first time in about 2 months. Played for like 3 hours, No FX, just straight into the tube amp. First I crushed the Butterscotch thru neck humbucker Tele, then the Weed-O-Caster, then the Epi LP Prophecy, lastly, ironically was my favorite, my Wine Red Epi LP, those pick-ups are great

I read comics, Spider-Man mostly, anything more costs too much with crossovers.

Other than that, watch the Sabres and Bills, even when they blow, drink beer, partake in the finer things in nature, and sleep. Eating is optional.

Attachments

• IMG_1799.jpg
    IMG_1799.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
  • Guitars.JPG
    8.8 MB · Views: 47

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You have... many guitars.
I have one - an Epiphone Les Paul 100, sitting there waiting for me to have time to learn how to play.

Other than RPGs, there's board games - mostly cooperative games, like Sentinels of the Multiverse and Gloomhaven these days. Carefully chosen TV and movie media - we've gotten a little picky about what we watch. I try to read as much as I can, though the pandemic was not good for my ability to focus on books.

Pokemon Go, of all things - though that's less for fun, and more a motivator to get me to get out and walk for my health.

Cooking - my wife and I are hobby cooks.

And, these days, there's home cleanout. My wife and I have a small home, that is a little too small for the amount of cruft we've picked up in the past 15years or so. We are making efforts at cleaning away the extras that we don't need, but a lot of it has sentient attached to it, so it is hard.

edit: Correction - a lot of it has sentiment attached to it. Our personal possessions are not sentient, but that was too funny to edit away.

Last edited:

I work out -- 60-80 minutes a day of mostly cardio with related core and light weights. My goal is to have the same bp, cholesterol and blood sugar checks at 50 as I did when I was 25 (it might happen).

I cook -- and sometimes watch cooking shows. More how-tos than the reality game show cookoffs that have become prevalent.

I garden -- my wife is the expert here. I most pick up and put down, pluck what I'm told to, etc.

I read -- non-fiction mostly. Current foci include the medical profession in the post-Civil War US, Anthropology related to the pre-pottery neolithic, and history of the ancient middle east (learned the myths long ago, figured I'd try adding context).

I mentor/sponsor -- I am heavily involved in the sobriety community, along with the adults with disability (focused on TBIs) community. This has somehow spread to job coaching for a number of friends' kids as they enter the work world.

I play non-TTRPG games -- mostly with my grade-school-aged niece and nephew. Connect Four is eternally popular, but we're edging into the age where attention spans (theirs and mine) can handle Carcassonne, Wingspan, and The Isle of Cats.

ichabod

Legned
Board games when I can, although these days it's mostly with my aging mother to keep her company. Reading science fiction and fantasy. Mostly rereading the same old authors, but also some time spent looking for new authors to read obsessively. Collecting dice, although after breaking 2,000 I'm not sure how viable that is anymore (at least for me, there is that guy over 100k). Finally, learning. Currently I'm learning web programming, and starting work on my first real full stack application. Once that's done I'm looking to learn mathematical logic.

R_J_K75

Legend
You have... many guitars.
I have one - an Epiphone Les Paul 100, sitting there waiting for me to have time to learn how to play.
I dont know if youve ever noticed but it seems there is a guitar in the background of every video. commercial, or sitcom. Its odd. Anyhow Epiphone makes good guitars for the money, in the ~800-1K range. corner is not where a guitar should be. I can guarantee if you pick it up 10 minutes a day for the next year, Im sure @Dannyalcatraz will agree you'll get better, proficient, in that year.
I try to read as much as I can, though the pandemic was not good for my ability to focus on books.
I went through getting disability. and COVID at the same time. Matter of fact I had to go drop off my paperwork day they declared the Pandemic. But your are right, it really messed with my ability to concentrate and read.
Cooking - my wife and I are hobby cooks.
I'm going to make some Chimichurri this week to go with some steak
We are making efforts at cleaning away the extras
Im a reverse packrat. I just throw stuff out. Theres things I wish I kept but you only live once and its not going with you

R_J_K75

Legend
work out -- 60-80 minutes a day of mostly cardio with related core and light weights. My goal is to have the same bp, cholesterol and blood sugar checks at 50 as I did when I was 25 (it might happen).
I wish I could but I'm just physically incapable. And if I had to hazard a guess that takes a lot of commitment.
I mentor/sponsor -- I am heavily involved in the sobriety community, along with the adults with disability (focused on TBIs) community. This has somehow spread to job coaching for a number of friends' kids as they enter the work world.
The first step is admitting you have a problem right?

I have kids, so a lot of my hobbies are basically managing their hobbies. I'm addition to RPGs and video games, recent trends include robotics and martial arts. Soccer starts in the fall. I'm anticipating at least two concerts and a play before the end of the year. It's a lot of time and money. I'm honestly not sure where most of it goes, but it seems like a pretty good investment so far.

Which ones?

One on violin, and one on cello. :p I expect a little Bach, a little Mozart, and at least one questionable arrangement of something by John Williams or Hans Zimmer. If the violin player decides to switch over to a wind instrument this year, I may be graced by some Frank Ticheli.

Closest I'll get to a professional concert is probably the local Renn faire. We have talked about taking the kids to Trans Siberian Orchestra at Xmas time; this might be the year that finally happens.

Ryujin

Legend
Not doing as many things for fun as I used to. I dropped motorcycle riding, both street and track, and I've pretty much given up on motorsports photography. Events went into hiatus when lockdown started, then went to competitors only, and have only recently gone back to full spectatorship. By then I'd lost the habit of requesting press passes.

Still doing leatherwork and chainmailing. At some point I'll need to have a machinist take a look at what I'll need done in order to create a wire cutting rig that will handle steel, stainless steel, and maybe titanium. I've been kicking around a design that allows for active oil cooling of the blade, via a pump and a cutting oil/water mix, but it would need to be milled out of aircraft aluminum at minimum. I built my current cutting block out of HDPE plastic, but all that takes is woodworking tools. It's only good as far as cutting brass and bronze, if I'm careful. Burned up a lot of slotting blades to get that far.

Remove ads