Besides RPGs and Video Games, What Do You Do For Fun?

I'm a voracious reader. I generally have three books going at any given time (one RPG book, one main book, one before bed fluff book). I have a musical project I occasionally noodle around with, Wurm Fang. It's mostly synthesizer-based drones. I also am fond of a nice cocktail (albeit in moderation), generally with an emphasis on vintage drinks from the 70s and 80s.

I don't know that I consider it fun, but I lift weights and do cardio.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I dont know if youve ever noticed but it seems there is a guitar in the background of every video. commercial, or sitcom. Its odd. Anyhow Epiphone makes good guitars for the money, in the ~800-1K range. corner is not where a guitar should be. I can guarantee if you pick it up 10 minutes a day for the next year, Im sure @Dannyalcatraz will agree you'll get better, proficient, in that year.
There IS truth to that, but it’s most true if your time is structured; if there’s a plan & direction to your time with the instrument. You will improve if all you do is noodle, but you’ll plateau sooner, and you may wind up frustrated at not achieving your playing goals.

If nothing else, find some YouTube tutorials.

Musically, I’m singer first. But as a kid, Iwas trained as a cellist and played it for 20 years before I picked up the guitar and- to a (much) lesser extent- bass guitar. That’s been a thing for 20+ years now, too.

So I tried teaching myself how to play. Long story short: I didn’t make the progress I thought I should, and got frustrated until I 1) tried a particular alternative tuning and (unrelatedly) 2) got a year’s worth of formal lessons.

BTW, nice axe collection! My own might rival yours, but I cannot touch your practice space. ENVY ALERT!

Other hobbies: I read sci-fi/fantasy/horror fiction, listen to music, and spend time with my grrrl:

I’m the main cook in the household, now, and have been for the past decade. Most of my cooking is for sustenance, but I do bring the big the noise for holidays, and do like to experiment, resulting in a few unique recipes to my credit. So it would be fair to call me a hobbyist in that regard.

I also collect things, almost pathologically. I essentially collect collections. If I get into something, I tend to collect things associated with it. See books, albums/cassettes/CDs, guitars, RPGs, cookware, etc. (Note: I have a silly amount of guitars & effects pedals.)

R_J_K75

Legend
At some point I'll need to have a machinist take a look at what I'll need done in order to create a wire cutting rig that will handle steel, stainless steel, and maybe titanium.
Are you talking about a sheet metal break or something that can just cut Stn Stl and Stl like a table saw? Regardless, making your own chainmail is awesome

Ryujin

Legend
Are you talking about a sheet metal break or something that can just cut Stn Stl and Stl like a table saw? Regardless, making your own chainmail is awesome
Quick description: I made a chainmail coiler and a link cutter. The coils are fed through the cutter and a jeweller's slotting saw blade (small circular saw blade that is 0.008" thick) cuts one side of the coil, resulting in "jump rings." The saw blade peeks up through a slot in a block of High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) that has a groove in it, that's parallel to the blade of the saw.

If I can have a cutting block made from aircraft aluminum, then it would be rigid enough to handle harder metals. I might also then be able to set up some sort of screw feed that would push the coils through at a fixed rate, ideal for those harder metals. Harder metals require slower feed rates and lower RPM on the saw blade, to avoid burning out or shattering the blade.

R_J_K75

Legend
I'm a voracious reader. I generally have three books going at any given time (one RPG book, one main book, one before bed fluff book).
I used to read alot as well. I just went to Lens Crafters last week and got a new eye exam and ordered new glasses. I couldnt understand why that for the last year I kept saying I cant see to read...? Turns out in their infinite wisdom even though they did an eye exam in 2022 when I bought new glasses last year, Lens Crafters used a Rx from 2017. So I've been walking around with a Rx that is outdated by 6 years. SMH.
I also am fond of a nice cocktail (albeit in moderation), generally with an emphasis on vintage drinks from the 70s and 80s.
I drink Pabst, its good and its cheap. Little known fact, there was no Blue Ribbon, they made that up for the late 1800s or early 1900s world fair to make their brand look better.

Moonmover

Explorer
I play about an hour of video games and then read a chapter or two of a book after my baby goes to bed. Sometimes I might take that hour to watch a TV show rather than play a video game. On Thursday nights, I watch a movie with my wife.

(My posts in this forum are made between tasks at work).

Everything else is work, childcare, and household chores.

Ulfgeir

Hero
I do archery with my English longbow. I really like 3D archery.

PLay boardgames, but sadly that happens way to seldom for my liking.

Reading, and trying to write stuff.

Spend way to much time looking at various youtube-videos... ;)

R_J_K75

Legend
There IS truth to that, but it’s most true if your time is structured; if there’s a plan & direction to your time with the instrument. You will improve if all you do is noodle, but you’ll plateau sooner, and you may wind up frustrated at not achieving your playing goals.

If nothing else, find some YouTube tutorials.

Musically, I’m singer first. But as a kid, Iwas trained as a cellist and played it for 20 years before I picked up the guitar and- to a (much) lesser extent- bass guitar. That’s been a thing for 20+ years now, too.

So I tried teaching myself how to play. Long story short: I didn’t make the progress I thought I should, and got frustrated until I 1) tried a particular alternative tuning and (unrelatedly) 2) got a year’s worth of formal lessons.

BTW, nice axe collection! My own might rival yours, but I cannot touch your practice space. ENVY ALERT!

Other hobbies: I read sci-fi/fantasy/horror fiction, listen to music, and spend time with my grrrl:

I’m the main cook in the household, now, and have been for the past decade. Most of my cooking is for sustenance, but I do bring the big the noise for holidays, and do like to experiment, resulting in a few unique recipes to my credit. So it would be fair to call me a hobbyist in that regard.

I also collect things, almost pathologically. I essentially collect collections. If I get into something, I tend to collect things associated with it. See books, albums/cassettes/CDs, guitars, RPGs, cookware, etc. (Note: I have a silly amount of guitars & effects pedals.)
Yeah I'm in the same boat. I don't suck on guitar but I'm not good either. I play for my own amazement...nothing more, nothing less. I wish I took guitar lessons more seriously but that all went up in smoke...literally. Still talk to my guitar teacher, actually talked to him today. 1994 when I met him was a great year, you could get Arbys 5 for 5, sneakers for under $50. I digress, but my guitar teacher said the exact same thing to me about plateauing. He says to me, you learn in plateaus, and when you're plateauing is when you learn the most even though you don't realize it. I was just happy to pick up a guitar and play last night, and I still have it, whatever it is.
(Note: I have a silly amount of guitars & effects pedals.)
This is called "Gearitis"

As far as cooking I live alone so every once in a while, my girlfriend brings me dinner but other than that I have to forage for berries, deer crap and tree bark. Seriously I do all my own cooking because it just makes sense. I actually have a small 2-burner Char-Broil propane grill coming today from Amazon. Ordered it Sunday because it had a payment plan and I knew once Prime Day came it wouldn't have the payment option, it was cheaper today, but I was right. Gotta get a tank, some steaks and ingredients for a Chimichurri dressing tomorrow to christen it.

Remove ads