• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Best 4E Tactical Encounters

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Covered ya.

Personally, my favorite encounter I've designed so far has been a shameless modification of the Leotheras the Blind fight from WoW's Serpentshrine Cavern raid, with some adds to round it out.

Having a solo shifting between two seperate attack modes, then finally breaking apart into two seperate NPCs for the final 25% really worked well.
I found Leotheras the Blind. Now what do I do with him?

TarionzCousin

HEY WAITAMINNIT!!! WHAT ABOUT DUNGEON DELVE? AREN'T THERE ANY DECENT TACTICAL SCENARIOS IN THERE? SHOULDN'T THERE BE A FEW, AT LEAST?!?!?

Fake Mod Edit: Stop with the all capital letters, please. It's annoying.

Fake Contrite Response. Okay. What if I use a different font and/or color?

Fake Mod Response: No. Stop now.

:.-(

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
Let's see if this works. I've never tried to copy text from the Monster Builder to the net before.

Leo the Blind Level 9 Solo Skirmisher
Medium fey humanoid (demon) XP 2,000
HP 388; Bloodied 194
AC 23; Fortitude 21; Reflex 25; Will 20
Speed 6, fly 6 Only while in Demon form
Resist 5 necrotic Only in effect while in Demon form, 5 radiant Only in effect while in Humanoid form.
Saving Throws +5; Action Points 2
Initiative +17
Perception +6
Blindsight 10
Traits
Dual Minds
Leo saves at the beginning of his turn instead of at the end of his turn.
Standard Actions
m Slashing Blades • At-Will
Attack: +14 vs. AC
Hit: 1d8 + 7 and 5 ongoing damage (save ends).
m Twin Attack • At-Will
Effect: Leo makes two Slashing blades attacks.
M Blade Dance • Encounter
Effect: Leo dances around the battlefield, shifting up to 16 total squares and making a total of up to 6 Slashing blades attacks against any enemy he moves adjacent to during his dance, but Leo may only make 2 attacks against any one creature. This power recharges when he assumes humanoid form at bloodied and again when he and his inner demon splits at 25% hit points. .
r Chaos bolt (necrotic) • At-Will
Attack: Range 20; +12 vs. Reflex
Hit: 3d6 + 7 necrotic.
C Hellfire blast (fire) • Encounter
Attack: Close blast 5; +12 vs. Reflex; This power recharges when Leo and his demon split at 25% hit points.
Hit: 4d8 + 7 fire damage.
Skills Acrobatics +17, Arcana +11, Athletics +11, Intimidate +9, Religion +11
Str 14 (+6) Dex 26 (+12) Wis 14 (+6)
Con 17 (+7) Int 14 (+6) Cha 11 (+4)
Alignment evil Languages Abyssal, Common, Elven
Equipment scimitar x2

© 2010 Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All rights reserved. This formatted statistics block has been generated using the D&D Adventure Tools.

Tactics:Leo has four phases. During phase one, Leo is in control of the demon inside him. He remains in control of his demon until he takes 97 hps worth of damage, at which point the demon takes over and Leo grows to large size. He remains in demon form until he takes another 97 hps worth of damage which allows Leo to regain control of the demon. He remains in that form until he takes another 97 points of damage, at which point the enraged demon emerges from Leo's body, resulting in Leo and his demon both being active at the same time. The demon and Leo share the same hit point pool, both die once they reach 0 hit points, and both take their turn on the same initiative number.

Also, I made this creature before MMIII so the stat block hasn't been reworked into the prettier format. I had a huge tactics section instead.

The encounter started with Leo's cult trying to draw the Demon from Leo's body on a dias (4 minions standing around him, the other 3 level appropriate creatures looking on). The PCs were sent to save Leo, as he was a famous demon slayer, so weren't expecting him to attack, but the demon had corrupted him and Leo was driven insane.

Last edited:

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
That didn't work well, but I didn't have time to change things before I was out the door for work.

Can someone explain what I did wrong copying from the Monster Builder to the net. I used the rich text option like I do when I copy monsters to word which, but this time it came out...poorly.

Thanks.

I'll edit my above post to show the stat card once I can.

Klaus

First Post
HEY WAITAMINNIT!!! WHAT ABOUT DUNGEON DELVE? AREN'T THERE ANY DECENT TACTICAL SCENARIOS IN THERE? SHOULDN'T THERE BE A FEW, AT LEAST?!?!?

Fake Mod Edit: Stop with the all capital letters, please. It's annoying.

Fake Contrite Response. Okay. What if I use a different font and/or color?

Fake Mod Response: No. Stop now.

:.-(
Just for you, I went through the Dungeon Delve encounters today.

Most of the encounters there okay, but just that.

Three do stand out:

- Encounter 15-3: The Headwater: the possibility of controlling the water terrain and the expansive map make this interesting.
- Encounter 26-3: Deluded Dragon: this one has a skill challenge smack in the middle of a running battle with a dragon through a series of winding caverns, trying to convince it not to eat you!
- Encounter 30-3: Aspects of Divinity: A very very very hard encounter, even for 30th level heroes. But the stakes are amazingly high, and you have the chance of rescuing the aspects of the gods themselves! Tell that ain't cool? Plus: dropping lava!

TarionzCousin

Just for you, I went through the Dungeon Delve encounters today.
Awwww, thanks!
Plus: dropping lava!
What does lava do?
angel.gif

[sblock]And does it look like this?
92946d122896a4a8.gif
[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads