D&D 5E Best 5E Dungeon

Reynard

Legend
We've probably talked about this before, but:

What is the best designed 5E dungeon in your opinion?

Official. 3rd party. DMsGuild. Fan made. Whatever.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
We've probably talked about this before, but:

What is the best designed 5E dungeon in your opinion?

Official. 3rd party. DMsGuild. Fan made. Whatever.
Any of the anthology books by WotC. I don't know 3rd party or fan made, so I can't comment on those.

Clint_L

Hero
Lost Mine of Phandelver for me, and it isn't a close race. I think a big part of the popularity of 5e can be attributed to how damn good that starter set and adventure is. Baker and Perkins understood their brief exactly and executed it perfectly.

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
The Tomb of Annihilation has some brilliant ones. The tomb itself is massive, scary and interesting. The little dungeons and locations throughout the jungle are well designed set pieces (especially Firefinger).

The lost city of Omu has fantastic little puzzle dungeons throughout and the city itself is brilliant, but the Fane Of The Night Serpent is a fantastic dungeon in that it totally changes what happens depending on the actions of the characters. Potentially very deadly but possibly the most dynamic dungeon I have seen.

Even if you don't use the adventure, there are so many pick'n'mix parts that you can take out of it to use elsewhere.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So all of the contents of Yawning Portal, Saltmarsh, Candlekeep and Radiant Citadel are of equally high quality?
Not all adventures within the books are equal quality, but the books are all roughly equal. I figured you were asking which book was best.

Last edited:

Currently running Barrowmaze for 5E and it is great. I was a little worried about it being so undead focused that there wouldn’t be enough variety with encounters, but there’s a plethora of different types of the standard undead baddies. There’s also the barrow mounds, which are bite sized dungeons, so if you don’t have a lot of time, or if only half the group showed up, you can run them easily and not have to worry about ending the session with the party in the dungeon.

Remove ads